SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
uscroy

Retail markup for carpet

uscpsycho
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I am bartering services with a carpet store. They are supposed to sell me the materials (carpet, pad and whatever else is needed) at their cost and provide the installation for free.

They told me what the regular price is for materials and labor then they deducted 40% from the total, this is what they say their cost-installation is. I don't feel like they are being forthright. I don't know about carpet but for most retail products there is a 50% markup or more. So I feel like I should be getting 50% off the materials plus an additional discount for the installation. They way the presented it their markup on materials is less than 40% since the installation is part of the 40%.

I'm hoping someone who is familiar with the carpet industry can tell me if they think this store is being honest. The thing I am giving them in exchange has a value greater than what I am receiving (this doesn't usually happen but long story) so if they are even breaking even on the job I am being cheated. They should break even on materials and come out of pocket on the installation.

Any advice please? If this is sensitive information that you don't want to post for the public to see please private message me.

TIA

Comments (8)