SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ptangwai

Single rose bushes or multiples of the same?

P TW
7 years ago

Just wondering what is preferred for a moderate-sized, urban yard (backyard about 40x50 feet, and a front garden about 12x30 feet): single rose shrubs or planting in multiples of the same? My garden is pretty informal and not well-planned, with a hobnob of shrubs and perennials planted all over as I learn, only roughly grouped by size.

Some of my very first roses were two groups of three Double Knockout roses planted together. The effect from having three roses of the same type was dramatic, and even with the light scent from each there were just so many flowers that the overall fragrance was quite noticeable!

The past few years I have only been buying single roses as I've been experimenting to see what I like, and what really works in my garden. It has been a lot of trial and error. I love having such a wide variety of roses, but the effect from each one tends to be a lot less dramatic than those grouped plantings of Knockouts. For example, my Honey Perfume floribunda is probably my most spectacular single rose shrub with it's incredible blooms and wonderful fragrance. But would it be better to have THREE of them for a huge effect (either together or maybe alternating with something else), or is it better to have three different roses (or other shrubs) for more variety?

Decisions, decisions. What do you think?

Comments (22)