SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
splaker

persicaria polymorpha companions

splaker
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hey folks, I have two of these and I am planning on moving one and leaving another in it's present location, where is seems to be very happy. Everything else around it is an inherited mess and I want to make changes. What could I plant along side it? I am looking for specific plant recommendations (either perennials or shrubs) and/or simply general color schemes that would work. It's a white flowering plant so I am assuming color options are flexible and unlimited.

What I may salvage that is already there (albeit struggling) is yellow coneflower. The reset I am pulling out.

I do have some other plants/shrubs in other areas of my property that I want to move b/c I regret planting them where I did. This includes two very nice switch grasses (I think that's what they are) that grow quite large (6' or so) and 3 pink sonic bloom weigela (what an overrated plant!) that I'd rather not discard and figure at least it could fill in some spots and still give me some decent flowers. I may also move some Endless Summer hydrangea (another mediocre performer). Would these work work in combination with the persicaria or is this to unbalanced? I am not very good at co-ordinating color. I could discard the weigela and the hydrangea altogether, as i am not fully committed to them!

So if I work with the persicaria (as the main specimen) and the grasses, and perhaps the coneflower, what could I add? I'd like to keep in fairly simple. How about some interesting flowering shrubs like aronia arbutifolia or a fothergilla Mount Airy? Some blueberries (love the idea of an edible garden)? I am a big fan of sedums too.. I am open-minded to different shrub/perennial ideas! Thanks!

Comments (6)