SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
titian1

A Busy Winter Ahead

After two years of agonising over whether to remove 3 established roses that are badly infected with die-back, I've finally decided to remove them. The decision has been made harder because they still flower pretty well.

This photo only shows Crepescule, which is in the middle of the three. On the far side is a Ms Tillier, and in front is Comtesse du Cayla. There are other reasons I want to remove them too.

Ms Tillier has small blooms in Summer, which I put down to him being short of water, as all three are on the edge of a north facing raised terrace, which bakes in the Summer heat. I had another in a different spot which didn't have small blooms at any time. Also his thorns are more that I want to deal with these days.

Crepescule isn't growing strongly enough to have much bronze new growth, which gave a lovely tapestry effect, and the blooms are not a particularly attractive colour except in Winter and Early Spring. The rest of the time they're somewhat mustard, with poor form.

Comtesse du Cayla is 'a crispy critter' as Adam Harbeck put it! She burns almost as soon as she opens. Another rose whose name I forget is near her, and will also be coming out.

I've ordered their replacements today: Anna Olivier, Mlle Francisca Kruger (or what's sold as MFK) and Lady Hillingdon. All of which I'll plant further in from the edge of the terrace. LH will be next to an established Mutabilis, which I think will look ok. I have another Anna Olivier and she seems to cope better with the heat than most, and LH is an old Sydney stalwart. MFK is new to me, but I think will blend in, and hopefully do well.

I've also ordered Mrs B. R. Cant for a spot under the Jacaranda where a large Dichroa appears to be dying. A couple of people on HMF have rated her as excellent in shade, and I've been wanting to find a spot for her for a long time.

So come the beginning of Winter (June here), I'll be in destruction mode. I know the die-back will be in the soil, but I'm not removing it, as presumably it will be through the whole bed, and that's just too much work!!!!!!!.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might minimize the risk?

Trish

Comments (7)