SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
posierosie_zone7a__

Newbies - for those who don't have a garage

posierosie_zone7a
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi,

I thought I would share for those who plant pots of bulbs and then want to know where to keep them until Spring. We get that question every so often. The usual answer is to put in an unheated garage or shed. I don't have those (I wish!).

Here is my leaf pile - it had 7 pots during the winter - can't tell, right? I mulch the whole garden with leaves so it just looks like an especially leafy corner.

Let me pull off a few inches of branches and leaves - Here we are! Buried quite far down into the leaf pile and surrounded by packed leaves on all sides. Several inches of leaves stuffed in between the pots and all around.

They are just starting to sprout. I've saved the pine branches to place on top for cold nights.

This is my second year doing this - last year was extremely cold with several nights in the single digits and several large snowfalls including the three foot storm. Last year's pots sprouted far earlier as the bulbs are already established. These are the new ones just planted last Fall (thanks HD 1/2 off sale!) and are far behind. I'm good with that - extends the season.

Comments (11)