What hummingbird feeder is the best?
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (30)
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years agocaflowerluver thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
Related Discussions
Hand made Hummingbird Feeders--Pictures from Photobucket
Comments (17)Thanks, guys. Those glass flowers are amazing! I wish the pictures could be enlarged to see the detail. I have this vague memory that I might have seen the real ones many, many years ago when I visited Boston. They truly are exquisite works of craftmanship, and glass is such a classy material compared with Sculpey clay. It has a translucency that's hard to get with polymer clay. If I make the Sculpey clay really thin, though, the light passes through and makes the petals glow in the sunshine. I'm always striving to get this effect, but it's hard to do. When clay is pressed this thin, it tends to slump either in the forming or in the baking stage. It is definitely a labor of love, but then so is gardening for hummingbirds and feeding them. It is such a thrill to make a feeder and watch them head right for it, take a sip, and zip off, disappearing to parts unknown. Some of my flowers are quite a bit larger than life, and I sometimes chuckle to myself and wonder what those little hummingbirds are thinking when they see a Salvia coccinea that is 3x bigger than it ought to be. "Ay caramba! That's the biggest salvia I ever saw!" I've had my share of failures, but have gotten better and better at making them hummer friendly. Although I try to make them works of art, they remain, first and foremost, functioning hummingbird feeders. Here's a couple more: A NOTE TO CS7580 (Otherwise known as Connie, I think)--If you're seeing this, I just wanted you to know that I tried to send you an email by going through your member page, but I think it didn't go through. I know you were interested in trying to make your own Sculpey clay feeders, and I remembered some instructional things I hadn't mentioned in my original post that might help you with your efforts. If you're interested, maybe you can send me an email by using my member page. Hopefully, it will work for you. Once I have your email, I can get those extra instructions to you. They are very important, and I think you'll have trouble being successful without them....See Morethree female hummingbirds chasing male from feeder
Comments (1)I don't think so - but you could post it to youtube and post the link here....See MoreWhat is the proper nectar recipe for hummingbird feeders?
Comments (0)Four parts water to one part white sugar. (For instance, one quarter cup of sugar stirred into one cup of water.) Tap or well water is preferred; do not use distilled as it takes out too many naturally occurring minerals. If you use a water softener, you may want to use partial or totally filtered water; softeners may add too many minerals and salts to the water. Room Temperature Method: Use very warm water (not hot) right out of the tap. Some brisk stirring is all that is required to dissolve the sugar. Let it cool a bit before setting out a feeder if the sugar water is hot to the touch. Boiling Method I Some people prefer to boil their sugar solution to retard the growth of bacteria and mold. Use boiling water to mix up the above-mentioned sugar solution; allow it to cool before placing outside. Boiling Method II Sometimes you may still have problems even if you have been boiling your water; the trouble could be contamination in your sugar. This method should take care of the problem. Mix up the 4:1 water-to-sugar solution in your normal preparation amount. Bring this to a boil on the stove and allow it to boil for a minute or two. Bring more (plain) water to the boil in another container at the same time. Pour the boiled sugar solution into a clean and sanitized measuring container (you don't want to undo your efforts!). If some water boiled off, add plain boiled water to the boiled sugar solution to bring it back up to the original amount it was before boiling. It's a bit more work, but the boiling method tends to extend the 'shelf life' of the sugar solution. Sugar solution can be made ahead and kept up to a week in the refrigerator. Discard any sugar solution that has turned cloudy or contains black mold, no matter how 'fresh' the solution is. Tip: Only fill your feeders with enough sugar solution to last, at the most, two or three days. There is no sense in throwing most of the sugar water away when it goes bad before the hummingbirds drink all or most of it. If you feed hummingbirds during below-freezing temperatures (yes, you can do this without preventing their migration: see the Winter Feeding FAQ), raising the concentration of the sugar solution to 3 parts water: one part sugar can usually prevent the feeder from freezing up at temperatures around and below 25 degrees F. For more information about hummingbirds, check out the Hummingbird Garden forum....See MoreBest Functional Hummingbird Feeder?
Comments (9)My most visited feeder is from the $1 store. Maybe like you said, it has just the right shallowness of the reservoir to make it easy to drink from. My second most visited feeder has a perch around the nectar holes. but I don't know if those are the real reasons. It could be also shape or color of the feeder, petals, etc....See More- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
Related Stories

GARDENING GUIDESBackyard Birds: Invite Entertaining Hummingbirds Into Your Garden
Hummingbirds — unique to the Americas — zip through open landscapes seasonally or year-round. Here’s how to attract them
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESAttract Hummingbirds and Bees With These Beautiful Summer Flowers
Roll out a welcome mat for pollinators to keep your landscape in balance and thriving
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDES8 Flowers That Hummingbirds Adore
To draw those mesmerizing little birds to your garden or doorstep, plant these flowers that are attractive in more ways than one
Full Story
FLOWERS AND PLANTSAgastache Rupestris, a Heat-Loving Hummingbird Magnet
Threadleaf giant hyssop adds color and fragrance to late-summer and fall xeric gardens
Full Story
EARTH DAYCreate a Container Wildlife Habitat for Hummingbirds and Butterflies
Don’t let limited space prevent you from welcoming wildlife into your garden
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESHummingbird or Moth? See Why You Want Clearwings Around
These fascinating moths may be helpful pollinators for your garden. Here’s how to coax them your way
Full Story
FLOWERSGreat Design Plants: Penstemon Rostriflorus
Plant bridge penstemon, also called mountain fountains, for its long-blooming scarlet spikes that act like a living hummingbird feeder
Full Story
GARDENING AND LANDSCAPINGDesign Details: Outdoor Decor for the Birds
Feeders, Houses and Baths for Our Feathered Friends
Full Story
GARDENING FOR BIRDSBackyard Birds: Marvel at Chickadees This Winter
These North American natives flock to bird feeders and entertain with their complex birdcalls
Full Story
GARDENING AND LANDSCAPINGHow to Attract Birds to Your Garden
From habitats to feeders, simple tips to help your yard take flight
Full Story










User