SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ewwmayo

Anybody growing Pseudolithos?

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Looking to see what you have! And maybe how you're caring for them this winter.

Watering mine lightly but kind of playing it ear. First time growing this one.

Comments (124)

• 5 years ago

Has anyone ever tried growing multiple Cubiformis or other types like this, in one pot? Is it too risky? Love all of the pics of everyone's plants, great to see them develop and grow even if slowly.

• 5 years ago

I have one P. cubiformis and one P. migiurtinus and both are still alive. I probably bought a total of sixteen plants and only two survived. I get seeds from the P. migiurtinus every year but, have never been able have seedlings survive more than six months. These plants are more difficult to grow than most succulents or cactus.

• Related Discussions

Pseudolithos migiurtinus flowers

Q

Comments (17)
    I would buy one or two plants and keep them above 60F. I grow my plants in shade and under a covered patio. The winter temperature sometimes goes into the high 40F and believe that I should keep them in a heater area. I will probably grow the seedlings using a heating mat and might even put the parent plants in the heated container.
    ...See More

anybody growing hardy citrus in abq or nm?

Q

Comments (10)
    Fabaceae: I have the trifoliate-orange cultivar 'Flying Dragon'--about 4 ft high so smaller than the regular plant, columnar habit, with very contorted and twisted stems and branches. And savage thorns (citrumelo has inherited those.) The fruit is less than golf-ball size with a thick, hard rind and almost no pulp, just seeds. I'm not into sugary foods so haven't made marmelade, but have grated rinds for zest which is very bitter. Flowers typical for Citrus, highly scented. Ripe fruits are fuzzy yellow, not orange. In my book very worth growing. It flowers fairly late in spring so avoids heavy frosts (so far). For fresh eating I have two Meyer lemon trees and some kumquats. These are outdoors in summer and in the house in winter. Very reliable. I've tried many other citrus with less than satisfactory results. The citrumelos are in very large containers and have not flowered. Hopefully they will if they can get established in the ground. It'll be a learning experience. What citrumelo might do here is one thing--after 22 years here I have learned not to rely on horticultural information from "authorities" who have never gardened in the middle Rio Grande valley. This place lends new meaning to the whole shtick. By the way, I see that the new Flora of China has transferred the trifoliate-orange to the genus Citrus, making Poncirus trifoliata a synonym of Citrus trifoliata.
    ...See More

Rerooting Pseudolithos

Q

Comments (6)
    Pagan-- I successfully re-rooted P. mccoyii and P. cubiformis seed-grown plants in 1-2 months with the H2O2/water/powder method, 72-80F day/night temps, high air humidity, and good ventilation. No direct sunlight, but lots of indirect sunlight (like in the shadows on a patio or porch). However, they still had the bottom/seedling portion of the plant body as well as some root nubs where I cut off the dead ones. As for grafting, the typical way I have seen it done is by grafting a Pseudo head onto a tuber from one of the tuberous Ceropegia species, but dichotoma and similar species may be better for getting faster Pseudo growth. ploap-- For grafting or re-rooting, you definitely would want to ensure that the black parts in the stem are not rot. I would do this ASAP. I would be wary of bags because of the possibility of rot. Make sure you are using dry rooting substrate as well to avoid rot as well. I would not add water until I see roots beginning to form, then add some water every week or so. Also, shade is pretty important to keep the rootless plant from burning or using up all its stored water.
    ...See More

Mavourneen...anybody know about or grow this G. Buck rose?

Q

Comments (0)
    I came across this rose while perusing the web and was much impressed by the photo of it shown both on HMFR and on Heirloom Roses Nursery. It being apparently an obscure rose, it may present difficulties in its care, OR be a rose of great merit, just lost in the sea of rose varieties, and shuffled into a state of obscurity. Is Mavourneen a sleeper keeper of a rose or a rose on its way to oblivion for good reasons? Moses
    ...See More
  • 5 years ago

I've only managed to find sphaericus seeds, my two seedlings are growing well and they're not that slow, maybe the growth will stall at some point, but at least for now they're faster than cactuses.

• 5 years ago

My cubiformis has been doing well and growing, albeit slow as molasses :-) It's flowered a number of times this year and is starting to develop buds. I'm hoping it flowers before the end of the summer so I can put it outside (it's in my greenhouse now) so flies can get to it :-)

• 5 years ago

Awesome shape on that one. Really nice texture too. How long did it take for it to flower? I heard it can flower at 1 year but can't find any definite answer. I love your pot with holes in the side of it. I've started doing that with plants that need better drainage/air flow and it seems to help. I drill the holes into my plastic containers, but yours looks much nicer

• 5 years ago

Brendan, I didn't grow it from seed, bought it at a cactus and succulent show in April 2017. It started flowering for me late fall/winter 2027/2018. Here's a pic of it when I got it.

It's grown, not dramatically, but it has grown just a bit!

I printed the pot it's in now on my son's 3d printer.

• 5 years ago

Looks like it's growing well.

I never thought of using a 3D printer for pots but excellent idea. Looks really nice

• 5 years ago

SLD, maybe you should start selling those pots... :p

Indeed an excellent idea

• 5 years ago

Awesome!!! Great finds!

• 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Thanks! How are your pseudos looking? Also curious what the longest is for everyone to keep these alive? From everyone's tips, it sounds like it's best to just leave them in a bright warm window and not fuss too much over them.

• 5 years ago

Mine is doing alright. Could be a bit more plump but it's quite hot these days. I think it's better later in the summer for me for growing.

• 5 years ago

I tried to grow the seedlings and all of them died. The plant is flowering again and will see e hat happens.

• 5 years ago

Looks great Eww. Are those flower buds on the sides of it?

Do you guys keep yours outside during summer for them to flower? Or have you had them flower inside?

• 5 years ago

Mine looks about the same as the last photo I posted. I keep mine in my greenhouse so it doesn't get rained on. It flowered frequently through the winter, but hasn't flowered so far this summer. If it did, I'd put it outside for a while in hopes that the flies would find it :-)

• 5 years ago

It's spent flower bud leftovers from winter/spring.

Mine is kept inside but in my loft it's quite warm in the summer. Maybe in the fall I will be daring and put it outside!

Who knows how the weather will be in the coming months. I believe this was one of our hottest summers on record.

• 5 years ago

I grow my plants outside under a covered patio. The plants flower in the summer and are pollinated by flies. The seed pods takes many months to mature and never had seedlings grow for more than six months.

• 5 years ago

Sounds like they're all doing well, good to hear everyone's kept them alive! LazyDog, I keep reading conflicting things online about whether to water them during the winter. Some seem to say, just a little less than summer and some people say not at all because they're dormant. Is yours flowering through winter because you keep it on it's regular watering schedule and in greenhouse temps?

I've been trying to figure out what to do with a few of my plants that apparently go dormant over winter (2 small dorstenias and 2 poissonii too). I don't keep any outside, they're all in my sunroom with temps around 70-80 degrees and good ventilation. It's like that through the winter too. Does anyone know if I'm I supposed to force a resting period even if temps stay the same with these types of plants and just water a lot less? Or just keep watering them every 10 days or so like normal through winter?

• 5 years ago

Well, mine didn't. I got two new seedlings from Arid Lands last spring. Those are alive and---what? I was supposed to keep them indoors??

• 5 years ago

Brendan, during the winter I kept my Pseudolithos in the house under lights on a heating mat set to 76°. I watered about once a month. When I water, I water so it drains out the bottom, I don't just give it a spritz or a thimble full :-)

As far as the poissonii go... I haven't had mine for long, but I have had unaspina and venefica for years, and I think they are similar. Those I keep in the end of our living room, in an alcove that has south, east, and west windows, so pretty sunny. They lose their leaves and go dormant in the fall (anywhere between October and December) without any prompting from me. When they start losing their leaves, I cut back on the watering. When they're completely dormant, I still water them some, probably about once a every 3 or 4 weeks. When they start growing again, I gradually start watering more often.

• 5 years ago

Forgot to say, my dorstenias don't seem to go as completely dormant as the Euphorbia. They'll lose some leaves, but generally retain a few. I do cut back on watering (compared to summer). In the summer they're outside, in the winter they're in the same sunny end of the living room as the Euphorbia. One winter I watered very rarely, and they really suffered and lost a lot of roots. The Euphorbia were fine.

• 5 years ago

Has anyone grown Pseudolithos mccoyi? I have some seedlings I started that are 2 years old now and still really small. They seem to be doing well though. I've found (and am curious if anyone else feels this way) that some of my more difficult plants seem to do better if I've grown them from seed. I guess they never go through the shock of transport and different growing conditions etc.

Also, when folks get seed I'd certainly be open to purchasing some fresh. I'm AOK with open pollinated, crosses whichever. I'm actually really excited to try to grow a cross or hybrid to see if they end up a little more durable. ;-)

• 5 years ago

I’m also growing from seed, I sowed probably 6 months ago and the bigger ones have started to develop the wrinkles. I’d love an advice too on keeping them alive!

• 5 years ago

LazyDog - Thanks for the notes on dormant growers. I think I will just stick to watering them at the same rate until winter really hits. Since I'm planning to keep them inside by the same window, I think watering a little less (maybe a lot less on cubiformis) for most like you recommended, should work ok. It never gets below 70 in the room they're in, and probably a lot higher when it's completely sunny out, since they're by the window.

Sweater+Chris - I wish I had advice for seeds/growing. I haven't started that yet with any plants, still learning how to keep healthy ones alive ;)

From what I've read on forums and sites though is that seedlings seem to like semi-organic mixes (peat+perlite or pumice) and high heat/light. I think. Don't take my word on it hah. Try googling "Pseudolithos Mccoyi seed forum". Might land you somewhere with good tips. My tiny trichocaulon that was grown from seed arrives in that mix. Peaty soil and perlite. The grower told me bright light and heat.

• 5 years ago

Just noticed today that there is a small growth from one of the corners of my cubiformis. It's still in the pot it came in, the grower said to keep it in there. I'm worried that it's buried a bit too deep in the mix it's in though.

Does anyone know if I should raise it higher so new growth can grow easier? Or will it find it's own way up above the rocks?

Thanks for any advice here are a couple of pictures

ewwmayo thanked Bc _zone10b
  • 5 years ago

Brendan, the new growth looks like flower buds starting. I'd leave it be, although you could take a few of the little rocks out from right around the buds.

• 5 years ago

Actually I just zoomed in and I'm not sure it's flower buds. I guess time will tell :-)

• 5 years ago

Ok thanks! :)

I'm not sure what it is either since this is my first cubiformis. But I was worried that it was sort of deep in the pot compared to everyone's photos of theirs. I'll pull a few of the small rocks out with tweezers. Have you found that new growth and/or flower buds that come from the bottom parts find their way around rocks/soil?

• 5 years ago

I think that when flower buds form on cubiformis, they tend to develop low down. As the plant grows, the older flower buds are higher up and newer ones form low down. Flowers will form repeatedly from the older little growths.

Here are a couple of photos of mine showing the little growths where the flower buds formed. Flowers have already come and gone on these, but they should flower again.

ewwmayo thanked stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a
  • 5 years ago

Great to know LazyDog! Yours looks great. I want to raise mine up a bit eventually so it's higher in it's pot and more on top of the rock grit. Maybe in a year or so I can do that without hurting it. I removed some of the tiny pebbles that were around that new growth so hopefully it doesn't have anything in it's way. Strange plants but I love them :)

• 5 years ago

Just thought I'd update everyone with a picture of the flowers on this guy. He's been surprisingly easy to take care of so far, hoping it continues that way ;)

The growers told me to keep it in it's original pot for a while, so the flowers really had to push their way up but seemed to work out. Definitely smelled like a dead mouse the first day or two-

• 5 years ago

Today I had two clusters of blooms start to flower. It has another flower bud point on it but those stopped growing when these other two got bigger. Here are some pictures I reay like this plant and the way it looks like a sea creature. Anyone know of any other succulents that have that kind of look? Hopefully it keeps doing well

• 5 years ago

It has very impresive flowers.

• 3 years ago

How are everyone's pseudolithos doing? Mine got a little brown from being out in full sun all summer but now it's flowering inside the house. Stopped watering a couple of weeks ago though since it's getting cold

• 3 years ago

Mine is still doing fine. I repotted it in a larger pot last spring. It was in my greenhouse over the summer, but is now under lights on a heating mat. Since I put it under the lights, it's flowered once, and is getting flour buds from 5 more spots.

Here are my 7 month old seedlings, migiurtinus on the left and cubiformis on the right.

• 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

@stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a - Looking good! I love the green coloration on yours, that's a cubiformis in the big pot? Hopefully mine will get a bit greener after too much sun this summer. I love when they have multiple bloom points too. If you remember, take a pic when they're flowering. Would be great to see. Mine has only flowered from 2 spots once.

The seedlings look great. Did you find those online?

*edit - forgot to mention how much I like those pots. They always catch my eye when I re-visit this thread.

• 3 years ago

Thanks, B :-) I got it at a cactus & succulent show, labeled as P. cubiformis x ? I'm guessing it's a cross between cubiformis and migiurtinus. At least the flowers look like a combination of the two. Here's a pic of it in flower last November.

New flowers will develop from the older nubs that flowered previously, as well as new flowering nubs developing as it grows.

The little seedlings were grown from seed that I got from Koerhes.

Thanks about the pots, as well :-) My plants seem to do really well in them. I think they may like the air circulation that the holes in the sides allow.

• 3 years ago

Flowers look great. I like the red tones they have, more interesting than mine. My cubiformis has gotten really pink flowers sometimes, but this year they're small and not colorful.

The pots are great looking. I found that all my succulents are doing much better in pure grit and clay pots instead of the plastic pots I had them in. I think the air circulation helps a lot through the clay, plus I have a small fan going in the grow room for them now. Would prefer the look of your 3d printed pots over the clay, but the air movement helps. Glad yours are all still growing well :)

• 3 years ago

Very cool! Loving the flowering and seedling photos. Mine finished a month or so back and is just a lump again. =)

• 3 years ago

Looking good! These things sure do grow slowly. About the only way I can tell mine has grown at all is when it develops new nubs for flowering.

• 3 years ago

Looks great! Nice green color. I can never tell if mine is alive either until it flowers hah. Hopefully it will keep up and eventually show some size growth

• 3 years ago

Hi all, I recently got a cubiformis seedling with almost no roots. I trimmed the dead stump a little and dipped it in rooting gel. Do you guys have any other tips for helping it grow roots?

• 3 years ago

Hi Steve, sorry I don't have any experience with rerooting Pseudolithos. I'd probably pot it in pumice, and put it on a heat mat. Good luck!

I just repotted my little seedlings. They're now almost a year old.

here are the P. migiurtinus...

and here they are all potted up, top row is cubiformis and bottom row is migiurtinus.

• 3 years ago

My only tip is to be patient and careful rooting. Good luck!

• 3 years ago

I can not get the hang of these, myself. I have killed several and this last one has been dying since 2019, I think. But if you are still having trouble, Steve, you are not alone. My only tip is that rerooting takes a looooong time. This is mine---I discovered it had completely lost its roots last autumn when I bumped it. So I just put it back and watered around the edges of the pot (pure scoria) because I wanted it to have moisture but not wet.

After a while, I nudged a bit. If it rolled rootless, I was going to just ditch it. But nudging it caused the bits of scoria to move so I am thinking it has probably sent a root outwards. I marked it with a bead so I can carefully spray on that spot. Not sure if it is succeeding but at least it isn't rolling anymore.

• 3 years ago

Oh, and SLD, omg. Those blobs are gorgeous! If you are selling, I am buying. But you probably shouldn't trust me after I just confessed to pseudolithos killing lol

• 3 years ago

SLD - I agree those blobs are gorgeous! Can't believe they came so far in just a year, very impressive.

Pagan - Even just seeing that photo stresses me out. Best of luck and I think it might just survive!

• 3 years ago

Nice to reread this thread and see all the beauties. I hope to run into a Pseudolithos once. I find them intriguing and beautiful in their own way.

• 3 years ago

Thanks, Pagan and ewwmayo :-) I love my little blobs; I'm not sure why I find Pseudolihos so intriquing. Are they grown for their beautiful growth habit? uh, no. Beautiful flowers? Nope, again. Maybe it's their fragrance? Not unless your favorite perfume is eau de dead mouse.

So far I've head good luck with mine (knocking on wood and crossing my fingers). I grow them under lights on a heating mat in the winter, and in the summer they're in the greenhouse so I can keep them out of the rain and close the door to keep them warm if the nights are really cool. The little ones get watered about once every 7-10 days, and my bigger one gets watered about once every 2-3 weeks. After it's been watered it feels hard, like a golf ball. I water it when it starts having a tiny bit of give when i feel it. I've had that one for 4 years now.

Pagan, good luck with yours. The top part doesn't look as deflated as the bottom, so, hopefully, it's on the road to recovery. Right now I want to grow my little blobs until they're bigger, but I'll let you know if I want to get rid of any. Hopefully I don't kill them.

Here's a pic of my bigger one now. Good God it grows slowly!

• 3 years ago

So, going down to the brass tacks, how do you guys grow this? I am thinking of stalking eBay for another plant and paying attention this time. I got mine while I was completely distracted and with no research whatsoever, I have always treated it like a delicate winter-growing mesembs.