SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whitney_baird84

Need surface inspiration for island

Whitney Baird
7 years ago

Doing a forced renovation (flooding/plumbing) including kitchen redo. I'm overseas so mostly having to get inspiration via the interwebs. Very happy now with general design, cabinet style, cabinet colors, and appliances. We're now at crunch time on surfaces. I've made a couple of quick trips home to look in person and DH is there (but without strong need to drive the color choices.) These forums have been such a useful source of info. Style probably transitional in a 1960 split-level. Shaker cabinets (the Edgecomb Gray door sample in the photo is the style). Perimeter in Edgecomb Gray and Island in Shenandoah Taupe (all BM). Stainless farmhouse sink. Stainless appliances. I've fallen in love with honed Virginia/Jet Mist for perimeter surface. Absolutely at a loss on island surface. My thoughts have evolved -- from something very "statement-y" (Cuban Brown was an early choice) to something subtle and marble-y (I like Zodiaq London Sky -- but it may be too white/gray for warm gray of Edgecomb Gray

). I'm agnostic as to granite or quartz. Less costly would be nice. Cooktop will be in island so it will be heavy use space. The room is not terribly bright, although there is a good-size window over the sink and there will be UCL and good bright lighting in the ceiling. Thoughts? Ideas? And I really love the Virginia Mist but I'm open to other ideas there too. (And if anyone has bright ideas on BS options, I wouldn't turn those down either.) We haven't chosen hardware, but it will be something non-fussy in satin nickel, I think. Sorry about the photo placement -- I'm definitely a noob on this.

Comments (5)