SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nali_kawi

Electrolux dryer E71 code unsolvable

Horatius Cocles
7 years ago

E71 code is 'outlet control thermistor or wiring bad' - may also be control panel error. Have tried everything I know, including checking thermistor (ohms were in range), wires (not grounding, continuity correct), checking ohms reading on the control panel (reading was in range), and have gone so far as to replace the control panel and thermistor, remove the wiring and inspect physically. Reset error code after each attempt, but error still shows up. Diagnostic mode shows 5 error codes in history (all E71), and moving the selector past position '0' only gives 'E71' error and does not run the applicable test (position 1 is a motor test for instance). At a loss. Any ideas?

Comments (15)

• PRO
    The Kitchenworks
    7 years ago

Which model dryer is this?

You may want to check the wiring for open circuit. At this point if you haven't already it would probably be worth calling Electrolux Technical support for further info on the error code since it's refusing to clear, they may have more documentation on what else can trigger that code. Their direct number: (877) 435-3287

Anthony Rocco

Appliance Buyer's Guide

• Horatius Cocles
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The Electrolux dryer model is EIED55HIW0. I've called Electrolux and they would only refer me to Sears for a repairman. I've removed the outlet control thermister wires from the wire loom and tested them for continuity all the way to the surface of the board itself. I don't see a loss of continuity, and the reading (hovers around 5.66k Ohms) is within spec on the board. is testing for an open circuit different than a continuity test with a multimeter?

• PRO
    The Kitchenworks
    7 years ago

That's just nuts. I would call Electrolux back and demand they give you the name of the best servicer in your area. Tell the Sears is useless, if your forceful they will give you a better service company. If you tell me what part of the country you're in I may know.

• Jakvis
    7 years ago

You could just go to their on line service locator and put in your zip code.. Service locator link

• Horatius Cocles
    Original Author
    7 years ago

They gave me two additional service contacts when I called them back. One listened to my story and couldn't think of anything else he would do. The other is about a 2 hour drive away from here - I may call them tomorrow during business hours to see if they have any advice. It's confounding. Since I received the error code, there should be something wrong with the thermistor, the wire that connects it to the control panel, or the control panel itself. However, all test in order. The only one I haven't replaced is the wiring, but all tests come back correct - even when measuring on the control panel board itself. Just in case something on the board downstream from the pickup points was amiss, I replaced the control board - still E71. The front control panel (which displays the codes) should not be the problem - especially since I cleared the code and it appears to work until I try to run the dryer again (it runs for a second after I clear the code, but not if I don't clear it). If this was a car, a friend I know would tell me to lift the radiator cap and insert a new car underneath - unless there's something wrong with the radiator cap.

• kaseki
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I was going to suggest checking each wire to the thermistor to ensure that neither has a short to ground or to some other wire, but it looks like that can't be the case if you pulled the entire length of the wire pair out of the bundle.Does this problem occur even if the thermistor and its wiring are loose but the mechanical and electrical assemblies are otherwise in position and the dryer is started?

I am led to wondering if a programming error is showing this code when it should be showing some other code for some unrelated problem that still exists in spite of replacing key parts. I don't know this dryer, so I can't suggest a direction to extend testing, but maybe other sensors need to be checked for proper function, wiring continuity, and electrical isolation.

• Horatius Cocles
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I removed the two wires leading to the thermistor from the wiring bundle, separated them physically from eachother (and everything else - suspended in air, as it were) and checked for continuity along each length and between them. They have 100% continuity/no resistance along each wire, and infinite resistance between them. While separated, I plugged everything back in, went to diagnostic mode, reset the error, exited diagnostic mode, then restarted the dryer. Once again, it ran for a second, then shut down with error code E71. Checking the remaining sensors is my next step. The only things I can't test with a multimeter are the top panel control board (TPCB/the front panel display) and the cabinet control board (CCB/where the outlet control thermister plugs in). On the CCB, I can only test the pickup on the board itself, since Electrolux doesn't supply a wiring diagram schematic for the board itself (the pickups actually lead to two soldered holes where I'm actually testing - don't know what you call them). However, since I replaced the board, that should rule out the board as an issue unless the replacement board was bad. The TPCB likewise doesn't have anything I can check due to lack of documentation, and the leads going into it from the CCB cannot be traced back to the outlet control thermister by the tech manual or included wiring diagram. Electrolux says there is no other wiring diagram, but that's impossible (how else was it built) - there's just none that they're willing to make available. The reset procedure, initiated from the TPCB, should be sending a signal to the source on the CCB. The reset procedure appears to work in that the dryer can't be started (then resulting in another shut down/E71 code) unless the previous code is cleared with the reset. I'm hoping this means the TPCB is working correctly, but it may only mean that the reset procedure works correctly, and the TPCB has a programming error as you mentioned. Time to get busy with the other sensors. Insert frowny face emoji here...

• kaseki
    7 years ago

Another fairly easy aspect to check, assuming some electronics background, is the power supply for the circuitry. A common failure point is the filter capacitor ( or capacitors). If the power supply is not on one of the boards you have recently replaced, and if you can find the diodes used for rectification and then the supporting filter capacitor, you may be able to measure across the cap with an oscilloscope looking for evidence of poor filtering due to capacitor failure. (In some cases the cap has already spilled its guts onto its board.) Other components on the same traces may be better hook-up points for your probe. If there is a lot of ripple on the power bus (volts not millivolts) all bets are off w.r.t. proper functioning of the computational part of the circuitry.

• PRO
    The Kitchenworks
    7 years ago

kaseki's note here is a good avenue to look at.

• Horatius Cocles
    Original Author
    7 years ago

All power supply circuitry must be on the Electronic Control Board (ECB) located on a bracket above the drum. Other than the Interface Board (IB), located on the front of the machine (which includes the buttons and display), there are no other power/electrical components that are not otherwise identified (thermostat, thermistor, etc.). Oddly enough, when I replaced the ECB and removed the wire connector which includes both the inlet AND outlet control thermisters, only E71, the error code for the outlet control thermister registered in the diagnostic history.

• Horatius Cocles
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Problem solved. In reviewing the disassembly video, I noted that the receiver on the "Electronic Control Board" had 4 pickups for the 4 pickups on the outlet/inlet control thermister plug. However, mine has 5 in this location. I then plugged the outlet/inlet thermister plug into a 4-pickup position on the ECB and everything is as it should be. Human error due to watching a video listed as working for my dryer, but apparently there was a minor design change that got me. I believe "my bad" is the appropriate euphemism at this point.

• kaseki
    7 years ago

But now you are an expert.

• Vith
    7 years ago

Awesome figuring it out

• Servicemanhome Servicemanhome
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

To Horatius Cocles: get same error 71 on my Electrolux EDC 78550W dryer after repaired Control Board (burned resistor R118 - 10 Om and IC LNK364GN). Check everything, but no any visible reason. After reading of investigation of Horatius, decided to check connections once again and suddenly found exidentally cutted wire to interface board near strips holder, where I cutted strips toghether with the wire! So check carefully your connections, that was my fault.