SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lizardjam

Gritty Vs. 511 for Eureka Lemon

Hi all,

I've been looking around a while for which would be better and I can't decide. I'd like to not have to transplant the tree too often and within a year or so I'd hope to put it in the ground.

But, until then it's not doing too well in it's current soil. What is better to plant it in? I've been looking up the ingredients for a couple weeks but haven't pulled the trigger on buying yet. I have it in one of those half wine barrel pots currently and it has a lot of blooms but very few leaves. I'm not home so I can't go get a picture. It's probably about 3 years old and about 3-4ft high.

Any advice is appreciated. I have had so much good advice from this forum so far you're my go to! My local nurseries have been so very disappointing in that arena.

Comments (62)

• Nancy
    7 years ago

The name is "Greensmix" and I use in 5:1:1

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    7 years ago

The reptibark is great and often on sale at Amazon. It holds up well.

• Related Discussions

Eureka lemon tree repotting

Q

Comments (1)
    No, no sand, no clay. I would search this forum for "511 mix" or "Gritty Mix" and write down the formula for that. Yes, You'll want to re-pot into a a larger pot. Either resin, fiberglass or glazed pottery are good choices. Even plastic, but I would try to avoid black if you can. Fertilize your potted citrus about once a month. Many folks here really like DynaGro Foliage Pro for potted citrus. Water frequently when it's warm. And, place outside for as long as possible. You don't provide your Sunset zone in your GW info, so as long as you're not in an area that gets freezing temps, you can safely leave your tree outside all year 'round. Patty S.
    ...See More

511 or gritty for meyer lemon ??

Q

Comments (9)
    Josh I know what Al was saying. He seems to get a bit offended when anyone points out what is the downside or a situation where the Gritty mix may well not be the best or even an option. His argument is always what is best for the plant and I understand that but the plant isnt the only part of the equation. Then we are made to feel like we are jerks for not considering what is best for the plant. If i had the products I would love to mix and equal amount of both mixes and see just what the weight differences actually are. I think it would be good for people to really see that. Personally I quit suggesting soils types because of that. I just tell people to go to the container forum. Side note. How are your trees doing? havent seen an update lately. mike
    ...See More

5-1-1 vs. gritty potting mix

Q

Comments (3)
    @greenman28, I live in Daly City, ca. I just transplanted my new meyer lemon tree with Dr. earths fruit tree soil and added micro fir bark with perlite to a bigger pot. I wish I would of known about the 5-1-1 or the gritty mix before I bought Dr. earths Soil. I hope it will do good in the mix I put it in (crossing fingers) once it was potted I immediately watered it with vitamin B1 to prevent transplant shock. Have you or Al thought of possibly collaborating and starting you own bagged growing medium business? Your very knowledgeable and I've read Great reviews on the 5-1-1 or gritty mix. Also i poured a capful of osmocote slow release fertilizer. Is it ok that isn't the plus kind? Thank you in advance.
    ...See More

Eureka lemon

Q

Comments (4)
    No, don't use miracle grow. It's a terrible choice for citrus. I highly highly recommend a bark-based mix, such as the 5-1-1. Secondly, pot your citrus in a larger container. I have a terrible time trying to keep my variegated Eureka moist because it is underpotted. I am fertilizing all my citrus with Foliage Pro, 2.5 teaspoons per gallon. It's Summer...and these plants are hungry! Josh
    ...See More
  • poncirusguy6b452xx
    7 years ago

You can use pine bark mulch and run it through a shredder bagger

• Vladimir (Zone 5b Massachusetts)
    7 years ago

petuniafish, you will have to put that through a 1/4 inch sieve. There are way too many fines in there. I would not use it the way it is.

• Nancy
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Thank you Vladimir and Poncirus. I do use a sieve for the pine bark mulch and a shredder and sieve for Reptibark. Also add some turface to the mix. Just transplanted a plumeria in it yesterday, and the mix feels light and fluffy, and drains beautifully. But I'll have to let you know in 3-6 months how it works out.

My addiction is plumeria, but I was raised on an orange and avocado ranch so have an old love affair with citrus. Still much to learn. Have a Satsuma mandarin, a Dancy mandarin and a Meyer lemon.

Again, appreciate your good words.

Nancy

7 years ago

Do you really need to shred the Repti Bark? I and other folks on this forum do not shred it.

• Kelly(zone 10a, California) GrowingCitrus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I hope not. I'm going to go see what I can find today for the 511.

• Nancy
    7 years ago

I do Vladimir. I still have a small amount of the real deal of pine bark fines left, and the reptibark is bigger than that. Good to know you all use it with obviously great results:) I like shredding the reptibark so it's the same size as the pine bark fines I've used for gritty mix. But as you say it may be overkill on my part. I have a master gardener daughter-in-law who says that it needs shredding. Since she likes to check my containers, to keep in her good graces I'll continue to shred when I use it. Best wishes to all.

Original Author
    7 years ago

Alright I've got all the ingredients. I also got a variegated pink lemon and a Valencia orange. It's dangerous letting me go to home depot.

Do I soak the bark?

7 years ago

I soak Repti Bark for at least 30 min. (should probably soak longer) but not pine bark if it is already moist.

Original Author
    7 years ago

I got reptibark. I couldn't find pine. Might have to get that online for the next tree. I really appreciate the advice. I'm going to repot tomorrow. I forgot all my research from a year ago that a bloom explosion is not a good sign. It needs help fast!

7 years ago

That bloom explosion you mention - isn't that normal for your part of the country at this time of year?

Original Author
    7 years ago

My grapefruit, lime and lemons, all in the ground, have baby fruit but not many flowers. The lemon in the pot dropped most leaves but has a ton of flower buds. I'll post a picture tomorrow.

Original Author
    7 years ago

Before repotting

Original Author
    7 years ago

variegated pink lemon, in 511.

Eureka lemon repotted. Fingers crossed!

• hibiscus909
    7 years ago

Looks like you found some bark.

I think the bark product Home depot carries is 'soil conditioner'. The particle size could vary in different regions, or between batches. It has been pretty consistent for me.

Original Author
    7 years ago

Can you post a picture or a link of the package please hibiscus? I need more because I need one more tree to pot.

I got reptibark. Not cheap but all I could find locally.

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    7 years ago

I don't shred the reptibark. I've never heard of anyone doing that.

Original Author
    7 years ago

How would you shred it? I didn't, it's small but I'm curious.

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    7 years ago

Hibiscus, I have never been able to find that soil conditioner in the HD near me. I have seen others post about using it and always on the lookout for it. I get the Repti-bark and sometimes get some from an orchid nursery I go to.

Cory

Original Author
    7 years ago

I was close to getting a bag of orchid bark but it had the main ingredients plus carbon. And I had no idea the ratios. The bark also looked a little big.

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    7 years ago

What I get from the orchid nursery is fines, not what you find in box stores.

Cory

7 years ago

I have read that some people shred Repti bark by driving their car over it or passing through a chipper. I have not measured it but the pieces do look larger than 1/4 inch, which is what Al says it should be for gritty. For 5-1-1, he says to use composted pine bark that has had pieces larger than 1/4 inch removed from it, i.e., dust to 1/4 inch..

Original Author
    7 years ago

It's pretty small. Maybe I'll measure it this week.

• Nancy
    7 years ago

The Reptibark I could buy in my area had pieces that ran as large as 3/4 inch to even larger than an inch. It may be that what is sold in my area just has unusually large pieces.
    So I ran Reptibark thru a chipper shredder. There
    is a lot of dust so it had to screened. Still have some left so using it, but now use actual fir bark fines straight from the tree.

But if I were trying to determine what to use I'd go with what others here have used so successfully, and use the Reptibark as is. It's probably just BIG where I live.

Recently found fir bark fines about a 100 miles from me that are dime sized with no
    dust. They are straight from the tree to the lumber yard- an 60 quart
    bag for $10. I
    live in a state where Douglas fir is the state tree so they are very
    cheap.

Posted the info about the pine bark mulch, because it looked interesting and I had to try it myself out of curiousity. Always on the hunt for pine bark fines as that is what Al's original recommendation was for- although he said fir bark fines were ok too.

Have used Bonsai Jack's orchid mix too in the past very happily. But the cost made it very precious and prohibitive long term for 40 container plants.

Happy growing to everyone.

Nancy

Original Author
    7 years ago

And then it rains for the next two days so I guess it's getting enough water, let's hope it drains!

• Sammers510
    7 years ago

Nancy, I am in Oregon as well where did you find the fir bark fines? I will be needing to make up some 5-1-1 in the early summer to pot up my trees and would love a local source. With all the trouble people have gone through trying to find the right sized stuff and coming up empty I was planning on just Amazoning some Reptibark.

• kemistry
    7 years ago

Hello from a fellow Oregonian :o) I've been using Greenmix bark mulch for the 511. You can find it at Lowes. It does have a bit more dust/fine particles than I would prefer so I do use a 1/16" sieve to remove some of it. You can make your own siever by using a window insect screen. Home Depot also has the bark fines, but the bag that I looked at didn't look as good as Greensmix's :)

• myermike_1micha
    7 years ago

I have a friend that found the PERFECT size in bark and I will see if I can find out the name..It's sold on the west coast and nothing of that sort here. I can not believe the size of it. I will take a pic soon for all to see. If I lived in California which is where he lives, I would buy POUNDS of it. The best bark size for the 5.1.1 and 1.1.1 or any other mix I have ever seen...Pics to come later. He was so kind enough to send me a few bags..

Original Author
    7 years ago

I'd love to see that!

• hibiscus909
    7 years ago

I have used the timberline product for a few years and it is consistent particle size. I am on the east coast. I don't know if this is the right size for the 5-1-1, but I have used it in a similar fashion (I just use 1:1 potting mix:conditioner) for my outdoor containers. I just screened some thru window mesh and didn't get a lot of dust.

The harvest product I saw seemed to be more shredded and looked like there was a lot of ground (very fine) bark, as well as fine sand, IIRC.

• Nancy
    7 years ago

Sammers,

I live in Seal Rock on the coast near Newport. I don't have the name of the bark place but it is right on Hwy 34 immediately across the street from Shonnards nursery. It's an area right between Corvallis and Philomath. Maybe about 10 miles from I-5. There are huge lumber concerns in the area and maybe about 1 1/2 hours from Portland. Before you buy I'll post a pic of the fines and you can see what you think. I'll try to get it up later today or tomorrow. I'll also call Shonnards and try to find the name and number for you. If you think you like this stuff.

Kemistry,

Thanks for the thumbs up on Greensmix :) I bought a huge amount of it because it looked so nice. I'm running it thru a sieve too. Glad to hear you've been using for awhile.

Nancy

• Nancy
    7 years ago

Sammers,

Gosh, I sent a neighbor to the place I recommended and omg they were completely different than what I got. She went by just yesterday and asked for fir bark fines and it was just not the same. I'd hate to send you all that way and discover the same thing. I don't go up that way but maybe once every few weeks- don't need any more at present but I plan to stop and talk to them. I bought a huge amount last time I was there thank goodness. I'll let you know what I find out. Very strange indeed.

If you have a tree felling company closer to to you, you might want to see if you can find them there. Best wishes.

Nancy

• Sammers510
    7 years ago

Nancy, thank you for all your help! I have family in the Corvallis and Eugene area so its not impossible for me to be out that way. I will certainly look into places near me and see what I can find.

Original Author
    7 years ago

I looked up the greensmix when you guys talked about it and walmart said it didn't have it in Stock for up to 100 miles around. The only thing I could find near me was the reptibark. I knew my tree would die and I had 2 new ones so I bought enough for two total. It was not cheap.

I went to pet smart today for more and they were out. I went to my local walmart for other things but can never resist going through their garden section. Low and behold, behind a whole other wall, hiding in the back is a ton of the greensmix pine bark mulch. $3 for 2cf!!!!

I was elated and felt like a moron for how much I spent on reptibark. I don't know why they don't say a word on their site.

I almost bought a ton but wasn't sure how it lasts. I've already enough for my 3 trees. Oh well.

• Nancy
    7 years ago

Oh Kelly, I'm so glad to hear that you found it! The price is unbelievable. I run it thru a 3/8 inch sieve and it's remarkable how little dust and small particles it has. The price was so amazing that I bought 12 bags. I'm repotting about 20 of my 40 plumerias this spring and figured it is well worth it at $2.97/ 2cu. feet :) Going to use it for 20 hydrangeas outside too. It is such a bargain and feels so good mixed up as 5:1:1.

Good old Walmart, I'm happy to hear you found it :)

Nancy

Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you. I am so excited. I might go back and get a few more bags to have on hand. Might just have to get another dwarf tree......

7 years ago

Kelly, congrats on finding greensmix. Hey, you guys are lucky. I can't get that around here. Petuniafish: 40 plumerias and 20 hydarngeas? Wow!!! How many citrus?

• Nancy
    7 years ago

Hi Vlad,

Yes 40 plumerias, indoors under lights, and the 20 hydrangeas outdoors. I live in an area where very few ornamentals grow outside. We get 70-85mph winds year round off the ocean. Our property is also dense with spruce trees, and between the fog, cold, rain, overcast and dense forest of trees that my husband refuses to cut down, I can't even have a greenhouse. So I have a big indoor lovely grow room that I think of as my Maui :)

I'm a citrus novice. Have only had four citrus for the last year, and knock on wood, they are all doing well in my indoor grow room. Have had a crop of Meyer lemons and Satsumas so far. I grew up on a orange ranch in So Cal and have a bit of experience but container growing as you know is a whole different game! I know that you and others here are very experienced, and have learned so much already. Thanks for all you share here.

Nancy

• Sammers510
    7 years ago

I went to Maui and Kauai for the 1st time this last May and fell in love with Plumeria. Are they difficult to grow? I have searched high and low for a Plumeria Perfume, essential oil, candles you name it trying to find a way to get that smell in my house. If they are similar to citrus in care or at least not much more difficult I would love to try and grow one.

Original Author
    7 years ago

I wonder if peppers would like the 511. I had lots of super hots not flourish last year because I think the soil was too wet and not draining well. Will have to test!

• Nancy
    7 years ago

Sammers;

I'd suggest looking at the website plumeria101.com. It's always best to have plumeria outside May- Sept. My climate doesn't permit that so I grow indoors under lights year round. Some forum posters do well with Portland summers but the rains can play havoc with fungus. So a lot of mixed results trying to grow outside there. I bought my very first one as a cutting in Maui- and following instructions carefully I got it to start leafing in after a couple of months in a sunny window. Then the addiction took over as it does for most.

Remember that unless you buy a plant, a cutting only, you won't get blooms most likely for a couple of years. I like growing cuttings as you get involved with the plant from the start. But some like blooms sooner and Jungle Jack's in SD is the premier outfit for that- plants only no cuttings. Amazing selection- shipping pretty pricey though. Divine is a good one to start with. If you are interested in cuttings, Maui Plumeria Gardens is wonderful. Celadine is a good starter there. Stay away from Ebay. I've had no success growing cuttings from growers there.

Post on the plumeria forum right here too! You can message me if you like.

Nancy

7 years ago

Oh, Nancy you are starting to get me interested in plumeria when I don't need another habit - I mean - hobby. I just got into bananas and am getting more interested in figs.

Why did you chose plumeria?

• Nancy
    7 years ago

Hi Vlad.

Since I was a kid I go to Hawaii yearly and like so many others, just always long for the beauty and fragrance of plumeria when I leave. Now visiting my grow room is like stepping off the plane in Hawaii. Oooooh, I could really get into bananas but my husband would kill me. I'm also into avocados. Grew up in southern California and sometimes really miss the ability to grow all these beautiful things outdoors.

I think I read some where that you have a greenhouse?

• Jontte Kinnu
    7 years ago

Kelly: I grew lots of different peppers last year, and saved one for overwintering. I cut it back in the fall and put it in sort of 5-1-1 mix and it's doing fine. It has though a need to get watered every day. Gets direct sun 4 hours a day, for the rest it is placed under my CFLs. Pot is quit large for its size, and still it grows roots out of the pot drainage holes constantly. So for root development the 5-1-1 mix seems pretty nice.

I would guess that something between 5-1-1 mix and regular well draining potting soil would be good. Unless you have time to water them couple of times a day during the hottest summer. Or use a dripper/another active irrigation method.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    7 years ago

When ever people talk about 5-1-1 and drainage vs root health of citrus trees I like to let people know that I use a soil that is good for summers in the high 80's to 90's but too heavy for winter time.

New Zealand lemonade on US897 rootstock. · More Info
    The tree will go over a month without water so I draw fresh air through the roots every day for about 10-15 seconds. The soil stays nice and fresh even though it is wet for a long time after each flushing and watering. Days in the 90's need water 2 times weekly.

6b Steve

Original Author
    7 years ago

Jontte I definitely don't have time to water that often. Though I might be able to water every other day at night. It does get close to 100 in the summer so maybe a modified version would be good. I think the roots of a couple of my peppers were soaked for a long time. I still have a few left from last year. I'll repot maybe this weekend since I found that pine bark and see how they do. No loss if they die since I have new sprouts this year but it would be really nice to have them thrive. They had leaves but no peppers last year. I sprouted them all from seeds.

Poncirusguy I have some of my peppers in those buckets. I think last year they definitely didn't have enough holes, especially looking at yours. I'll grab the drill and hole it up! Mine never come inside though. Just the sprouts get started inside.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    7 years ago

My potted 5 gallon pepper plants grow on the roof then get moved to ground level before the first rooftop frost. The plants go inside before the first ground level frost

6b Steve

Original Author
    7 years ago

Those are amazing poncirusguy! Mine never got that beautiful. I do attribute it to water overload. I will do better this year. They're in full sun. The ones in the raised bed did beautifully but those were not superhots. They were jalapeno, garden salsa, and hab. I'm just not a great potted plant grower but i'm trying! Hopefully the citrus improves then on to the pepper improvements! I'm hoping to have another section of the yard for a raised bed soon so we'll see!

Original Author
    7 years ago

At what point after potting do you fertilize? I've yet to fertilize them(though they do have the lime). I have foliage pro and a slow release citrus fertilizer. It's raining like mad this weekend so maybe the slow release? Is it too soon? They've been in the new pots since the 5th with no fert, just lots of rain.

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County