SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lingon

Mason jar soil test for square foot gardening

lingon
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I started my square foot garden 8 years ago with the typical Mel's mix. The compost was a mix of different bought bagged stuff and one load from my local gardening center. Last summer I had a horrible growing season, so I'm going to send a soil test to a lab and I also did the mason jar soil test. After 24 hours it appears that I have about 48% sand, 48% silt, and 2% clay and 2% organic matter. Huh? Does all the vermiculite turn into sand? Where is the sand coming from? I don't think I could be mistaking it, since the sand layer settled out in 40 seconds.

The raised beds are on top of my native clay soil, which is staying a very separate clay layer below. I add homemade compost made from chicken manure and hay bedding, leaves, and household veggie scraps. I also add organic fertilizer rarely and sometimes old chicken feed.

Anyone else tested old Mel's mix this way? Is there something organic that is acting like sand? Or did my compost have tons of sand in it?

edited to add: I followed these instructions, basically, digging my sample from about 4 inches deep.

https://www.todayshomeowner.com/diy-soil-texture-test-for-your-yard/

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting