SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paroses

Duck vs Chickens for Organics

Terri S
7 years ago

For those who wish you could keep chickens or had them and gave them away for various reason, you might want to try ducks. Not all ducks. But some ducks. Why?

The poo has less nitrogen and so can be used fairly fast rather than waiting a year+ for composting.

They have no dander which is why I had to sell my chickens. They gave me asthma attacks.

Ducks do not scratch up your gardens. In fact, our ducks are so gentle as they move through our flower gardens that you would never know they were there.

Our ducks have the run of a huge, fenced, small-fruit "orchard" for 3 seasons. There are (18) 4 x 8' raised beds there. Our breed of ducks is called Welsh Harlequin. They are amazing foragers for bugs and weeds.

They are quiet! Yes, quiet, for ducks. We have 2 females (males do not quack) and I hardly ever hear them unless a cat walks by the fence or a bird is raiding their feed.

They give eggs, of course, like champs. But their main purpose is to eat bugs such as slugs and Japanese beetles (that they can reach) and for fertilizing.

We use a child's swimming pool for them to swim and change the water every AM. The water is then cycled to the plants, like Blueberries, Blackberries and Raspberries.

They are medium sized - about 5 pounds. They are sweet, friendly and seriously funny. They have been called the most joyful creatures in the farm. Who can't use a little more joy?

So for anyone who cannot handle chickens, Welsh Harlequin ducks might be a good alternative.

I just wish they could reach the JB at the tops of my roses!

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996