SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oiberic

Palm Assistance for NC Beach House

oiberic
7 years ago

I am a multi-year lurker on the GW forums, but this is my first of many future posts. Typically, I can find any and all information I could ever need from simply searching the forums -- a true testament to the wealth of information available here. Although I can identify a hundred different houseplants, countless perennials, trees, and shrubs, for whatever reason, I am lost when it comes to palms and cycads.

I purchased a beach/vacation home (on the island, along a canal) less than a year ago and am now working at revitalizing some of the palms:

1. Can you please identify the taller palm "tree" and the shorter palm in the following pictures? These palms are mirrored by matching palms on either side of the walkway to the dock.

2. What is the best method of pruning these palms to give them a cleaner, less messy appearance? Should I simply cut off brown fronds, or can I cut fading green fronds too, to improve appearance? Preferable time of the year for pruning?

3. The shorter palm seems to have had it's new growth "collapse" after Hurricane Matthew back in October. What is the best way to deal with this and get new growth going again?

Thank you for your assistance and I look forward to expanding my knowledge on palms. For your reference, the property is along a canal with a concrete bulkhead on an island separated from the mainland by the Intracoastal Waterway. The zone is 8a, very close to 8b.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville