SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
edgewooddirk02

I'm putting a pool on my screened porch & trying to make a greenhouse

edgewooddirk02
7 years ago

So... I have a weird advice request. I'm putting it here because this is sort of a greenhouse (and I may add some plants if this works). I have a 13 by 16 ft screened porch. I'm fantastically lucky that it gets some sun most of the day until late afternoon. It is attached to a brick house and has a concrete floor. I plan to put a small 1500 gallon pool with a pool heater on the porch, but am anxious about heating costs (I'm in the mid Atlantic region so we do get cold spells, most recently down to zero overnight). I plan to put 6ml clear plastic sheeting up, and was considering a double layer of it with about 5 inches of air between the two layers, but not sure if that's really that helpful. I would also consider panels. I basically want it as warm as it will get- if it gets too hot, I have a door and large window I can open to heat the house. What kind of heat gain can I expect with this setup? Will the pool help maintain the heat and modulate the temp? Am I overlooking some big factor? Thanks very much!

Comments (4)