SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sherrygirl5

LOVELY *L* daylilies 2017

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I have my share of L daylilies, I'm guessing everybody probably does. Lee's Loss has been in the garden for two seasons and is doing well. It holds up well in the rain.

Lavender Stardust is increasing nicely.
Lavender Heartthrob is pretty bloom but hasn't seen a robust season yet.
i love Laura Harwood. I have seen many complaints about her not opening well but she does well here.
I have quite a few small varieties, the next four are small ones that I really like.Little Business does well here and has increased nicely.
La Belle Dame has not increased well but I'm giving her more time.
Little Strawbery Shortcake is increasing nicely.its a great pink.
little Grapette has done great here. Nothing phases these little blooms that hold their color all day.
Sherry

Comments (55)

• 7 years ago

I have SO many L's I hope you will all bear with me. This is going to take a few installments.

Here we go.....

One of my favorite daylilies......LIBERTY BANNER

LIVE JAZZ

LATE AGAIN

LAST LAMA

LAUGHING LION (in the foreground, orange)

LEOTHA

LUNA

LAND OF OUR FATHERS

LA DOLCE VITA

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked celeste/NH
  • 7 years ago

Ledgewood's Silver Lining

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked AaronK79
  • Related Discussions

Get those lovely "L" daylilies going!

Q

Comments (45)
    mantis, here's the AHS registration data: Lahoma's Legacy (Travis, 2007) height 28in (71cm), bloom 6in (15.0cm), season EM, Rebloom, Evergreen, Diploid, 22 buds, 3 branches, Deep magenta pink self above large chartreuse throat. (sdlg ÃÂ Elly Launius)
    ...See More

BEDAZZLING *B* daylilies, 2017

Q

Comments (67)
    I'm sorry, David, I do not. I've been trying to remember where I got her from. I purchased her from a grower's internet listing about four years ago. I remember that I bought two other Chris Vizvarie introductions at the same time; "Jack and Josie" and "Rio Bonita". I lost RB, but JAJ, does well for me, as does "Born to be Awesome". I do not sell daylilies, but I'm happy to share what I have. Otherwise, you may try to contact Chris directly. I believe he still is hybridizing. In Region 11, I think.
    ...See More

HEAVENLY *H* daylilies 2017

Q

Comments (29)
    Very nice H daylilies! I have a few to add. HALLOWEEN TRICK - added Fall 2015 HANALEI BAY -- added Fall 2015. Only three blooms its first year and the below bloom was the best of the three. HAPPY RETURNS --added Spring 2015 HEARTBEAT OF HEAVEN -- added Fall 2015 HEARTBREAKER ALEX -- part of my very last Maryott's order in late September. I cut the scape off and brought inside. The bud opened a few days later. Looking forward to seeing it bloom in my garden this year. HOT SEAT -- added Fall 2015 Thanks for looking! Lori
    ...See More

Koool *K* daylilies 2017

Q

Comments (22)
    David, I will never look at Kindly Light again without thinking of banana peels!! Debbie, your comment about underground railroad for daylilies was too funny. Lovely K lilies, everyone. I have seven but only have pic of one and wondering how that happened. Kennesaw Mountain Hayride--usually a darker pink than this.
    ...See More
  • 7 years ago

Now for more.....(love the L's)

LAVENDER HEARTTHROB

LAKE OF FIRE

LEMON LAW

LONGLESSON SUMMER GIFT

LONGLESSON SHOWOFF

LONGLESSON BALLAD

LUCKY STREAK

LOVE IN THE LIBRARY

LOUNGE LIZARD

LADY LIZ

• 7 years ago

AND there's more!

LULLABY OF BIRDLAND

LOVE OVER GOLD

LYRICAL BALLAD

LEONARD BERNSTEIN

LEMON GO LIGHTLY

LOVE FEST

LAND OF COTTON

LINDA BECK

LIVING IN AMSTERDAM (normally is taller, but severe drought 2016)

LIZARD'S PLUM PEACHY

• 7 years ago

and for the 4th and FINAL INSTALLMENT.....

LOTUS POSITION

LIME FROST

LOCH LOMOND LILAC

LOOK HERE MARY (Huge, 10 inches across)

LAVENDER SUSPENDERS

LISTEN MISSY

LEDGEWOOD'S FIRECRACKER

LINDA SIERRA

LADY NEVA

I am missing some because of the drought (they bloomed but I didn't remember to take pictures)....LIL RED WAGON, LEVI DAVIS, LAURA HARWOOD AND LITTLE FLOCK. As I said, I have a lot of 'L's.....thanks for looking!

• 7 years ago

Beautiful everyone. Liberty Banner always catches my attention Celeste!

Lavender Dew For a number of years I saw pictures of this on the internet and really liked it. I finally found it for sale about 10 or so years ago for only 5. It was well worth the purchase, and I got Lav. Frost as a free bonus.

Lavender Frost

Lavender Illusion has been erratic in it's performance and it's really more of a mauve, so this past fall I gave it away.

Loch Ness Monster. Very early, very reliable.

Lord Chamberlain

Lady Arabella. Very early, buds are slow to develop so even though it only has an average amount of buds, it blooms a long time.

Lake Norman Spider, a favorite

Lilly and Petals. Got this from Dave Bowman. It was named by D. Kirchhoff for Bownman's cats. Lots of buds, great bloomer.

That's all the L's. Thanks for Looking

Brad

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Brad KY 6b
  • 7 years ago

I have many L's too.

Lady on Fire is a beautiful color but I'm not sure it likes our climate.

Lady Stephanie Victoria Redding has done wonderfully for us.

Last Man Standing is a hardy vigorous late bloomer.

Last Snowflake survives but doesn't really thrive in our garden. The blooms are lovely and large.

Lavender Oasis is a tall hardy vigorous UF.

Lemon Fringed Pastel is one of my favorite Klehms.

Lemon Pixie makes a mass of blooms.

Light of the World is new to the garden.

Lillian's Tears and Roses is one of favorite small ones.

This picture of Lips of Desire makes it look better than it really is. It is registered at 36 inches with a 5 inch flower. Ours is probably 22 inches (if that) and 4 inch flower. And it's not because it struggles either. It has grown into a nice clump rather quickly.

That is my first installment.

Nancy

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
  • 7 years ago

Brad, I like Lavender Dew, don't think I've seen that one before.

Sherry

• 7 years ago

I have just a few more--not as many as I originally thought.

I hope Little Giggles is hardy. (It is Georgia-bred.) It is a small-flowered one.

Little Man Tait has lots of buds.

Little Red Dumples is an amazing miniature. The scapes are short and in proportion to the flower size, but are branched like trees. This was a bonus that I was not sure about at first, but now I am glad we received it.

I bought Little Anna Rosa at the garden center of Menards for three dollars. It is a miniature.

Lollipop Kisses is shorter than we like but is pretty.

Lori was a bonus plant from the hybridizer. It reblooms for us every year.

Love for Jesus has been used a lot in our hybridizing program because it has teeth and an eye.

Nancy

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
  • 7 years ago

I especially like Lori, Nancy.

• 7 years ago

I can see the Betty Ford background in Lori.

Celeste, what are some of the other cultivars in the Laughing Lion pic? The single bloom of the large pastel just behind it, for one.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked mantis__oh
  • 7 years ago

The L's are indeed lovely!

Sherry - Those first two lavenders of yours are marvelous!

Mantis - Your photo of Linda Sierra is just perfect. Beautiful clumps of Laura Harwood and Light of the World too!

Debbie and Maryl - Your photos show why Leslie Renee is such a great pink. I never got that one, but I have three pinks with her as a parent, and they are winners.

akopp - Ledgewood's Silver Lining is a stunning eyed and edged cultivar. I love those colors!

Celeste - More L's are the best L's. I love so many of yours. Liberty Banner always catches my eye. Lullaby of Birdland and Loch Lomond Lilac are two I would like to have.

Nan - Lori is such an amazing, glowing color!

Brad - The colors on Lady Arabella and Lake Norman Spider are so pleasing!

Debra

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked shive
  • 7 years ago

Winter Storm Watch in effect here. It was nice to have a couple of days of milder temps but back to reality.

LAURA HARWOOD - I can't complain about the number of scapes and buds it produces but what I do not like is the number of blooms that are not presentable. The water drops are not from my watering but Mother Nature. You can see how damaged in the background the foliage got from lack of water. Still on the "get rid of" list.

LAVENDER BLUE BABY - shorter scapes and less blooms this past season. I moved it in the fall to the new bed area.

LAVENDER CREAM CASCADES - took a hit this past season. Short scapes and not many buds. I wanted to get it moved in the fall but ran out of time. It will get moved in the spring along with a few other Carpenter intros.I need to check the bloom time on this one as I'd like to get it placed near Lavender Blue Baby.

LIGHT OF THE WORLD - moved the entire clump out and then back in the new garden space. Produced many scapes (short this season) and buds. A favorite of mine.

LOST IN THE TOY STORE - not many scapes/blooms last season.

LUNAR MAX - still managed to put on a show. Scapes were shorter and the blooms appeared to be a bit smaller. It really is a nice reliable daylily.

That is all the "L" ones that I have pics of.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Julia WV (6b)
  • 7 years ago

Let's see how many L's I can find.

Lake Tahoe Autumn

Larkspur Blues

Last Chance for Romance

Lunar Empire

Linda Beck

Landon Lee

Lexington Lace

Lovely Pink Lady

Levi Davis

Debra

• 7 years ago

Debra, I really like Lake Tahoe Autumn! I don't always like the orangey ones but this is a stunner.

Sherry

• 7 years ago

WOW to Landon Lee, Debra!

Mantis, the pale daylily in the back of Laughing Lion is A Walk In The Clouds. Note all the buds on the clump....in spite of the drought. It is usually a bit taller, though. A nice late season bloomer. The purple is Stargate Portal.

I found a picture of LIL' RED WAGON after all......

• 7 years ago

Here are some of my L's

Lava Flow

Lavender Blue Baby

Linda Sierra

Lois Burns

Laughing Clown

Longstocking

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked signet_gw(6b)
  • 7 years ago

Lee Bee Orange Crush newly added

Lily Dasche

Lady Scarlett turns out this is not registered with the AHS so if used for hybridizing it has to be recorded as a "seedling" . This is a cultivar

hybridized in England I believe.

Lynn Hall

Lady Bandit another new addition

Lavender Arrowhead

• 7 years ago

Just one more at the moment

• 7 years ago

signet_gw......are you sure your Lady Neva isn't Nefertiti?

Mantis and I posted our photos of Lady Neva above. I grow Nefertiti and your photo looks just like it. (I was saving it's photo for the 'N' thread). I know sometimes things get mislabeled when sold or sometimes the garden gnomes move labels when we're not looking.....lol.

• 7 years ago

Here are the Ls that I grow:

LAVA FLOW: Stands out in the early season.

Light of the World: Blooms are perfect every time.

Linda Sierra: One of my absolute favorites. Is taller than registered.

Lavender Blue Baby: Another good one.

Lucky Debut: Bennett intro

Linda Beck

Lighter Than Air: A nice plant.
    Laura Harwood: I can't keep enough of this one in the garden.
    Ledgewood's Firecracker: I will second it that it melts pretty quickly in the sun. I love the colors though.

That is all for me.

David

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked daylilybedmaker
  • 7 years ago

Here are my "L" daylilies...

Larry Grace's "Linda's Magic"; a wonderful parent.

"Lullaby Baby"; love this simple dip.

"Lady Lucille"; an unregistered diploid.

Another picture of "Lady Lucille"; still trying to set a pod on her.

Nate Bremer's fragrant diploid, "Legends of the Fall"; a favorite.

Jack's "Lavender Blue Baby"; seems like every seedling out of her is a keeper.

Bob Ellison's "Love Comes Calling"; a lovely rose red ruffled dip.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked James Smith
  • 7 years ago

Celeste thanks for the head's up. I have removed the picture . I grow both Lady Neva and Nefertiti . I do have garden gnomes that think they are helping and they run off with tags or poke holes in them etc. Here they are :]

Also sometimes the DH finds a tag on the lawn and puts it wherever. I have asked him not to do this but it happens . LOL!

• 7 years ago

Signet, that picture is priceless!!! Cutest garden gnomes I have ever seen.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked lilykate7a
  • 7 years ago

Celeste: I love LOTUS POSITION.

James: Legends of the Fall looks like my kind of diploid. I will have to track that one down.

David

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked daylilybedmaker
  • 7 years ago

David: I got LOTF from the hybrizer on the recommendation of another hybridizer who was using it in his full-formed ruffled diploid program. I'm always open to trading or giving away my extra fans, although I'm not sure if that is proper protocol for this site. I do remember trading some of my seedlings with folks I met through GW, but that was many years ago.

• 7 years ago

Luscious L's everyone, so many standouts. I was sure I had a pic of Lavender Blue Baby but great to see how well it does for so many.

Little Business pic from last year. Again I seem to have no pic from this year. Hope mine does as well as yours Sherry!

Little Missy has never impressed me much so I will move her and see if she likes her new spot more.

Luxury Lace is an oldie but has such delicate colors, I still like it. We had a horrible drought here too.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
  • 7 years ago

Lavender Reflections

Longlesson Avalon

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked del_s
  • 7 years ago

Light of the World looks like such a bloom in every photo. Are any of you up for a trade?

Debra

• 7 years ago

Got some gnomes here too!

sherry

• 7 years ago

Looks like Laura Harwood is a popular one! Signet, it looks like Lois Burns has lots of green. I really like lots of green in daylilies.

• 7 years ago

Hi Brad , yes , Lois Burns can look quite green some days , combine that with the "movement " in the plant and it is a real looker in person . I too love a daylily with a very large green throat and am really looking forward to the day someone manages to create a solid green daylily . Green is my favourite colour

Sherrygirl ......looks like you have your hands full with your garden gnomes ......what little cuties! Do yours steal your tags too ?

James , is that the real Lady Lucille (registered Lambert daylily) or the one sold by All American . I ordered LL from a daylily garden in Alberta last year . They had it listed with the AHS data but turned out it was not the real Lady Lucille that is the registered plant but the imposter from All American . So Frustrating ! Not that the "fake" isnt a beautiful plant but when you are hoping for a daylily from a hybridizer that I collect ....it was disappointing to not get what they said they were selling .

Peren.all I agree I love my Luxury Lace daylily . To me , I dont care if a daylily is old or new , inexpensive or outrageously expensive . I just love the look . I love the shape of the bloom on Little Business ......the petals almost look like velvet

• 7 years ago

Hi Signet, you have adorable gnomes too! They mostly leave the tags alone. My problem is to keep my male gnome from "fertilizing " in the same spot, I've found some solutions to that, no daylily losses to date.

Sherry

• 7 years ago

James,

I would love to work out a trade. It does not appear that you have the message capability activated on your HOUZZ account.

David

• 7 years ago

James,

I can be emailed at david-and-julie@hotmail.com

• 7 years ago

Del, how would you evaluate Lavender Reflections? I have heard good things about it in the North from Cindy.

• 7 years ago

Lovely group of L's! I have a few.

LAURA HARWOOD -- added Spring 2016

LEEBEA ORANGE CRUSH -- added Spring 2015

LINDA SIERRA -- added Fall 2015

LULLABY BABY -- added Spring 2015

Thanks for looking!

Lori

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked tarheelgirl_7b
  • 7 years ago

Lori - Your Linda Sierra has exquisite color too. I added that last fall, but it broke out with an awful case of rust so I'm not sure how well it will perform this year.

I found a few more L's I thought I'd add.

Lavender Reflections

Later Alligator

Little Mystic Moon

Lord of the Wind

debra

• 7 years ago

LADY ARABELLA
    LAVA FLOW

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Boyd Banks
  • 7 years ago

Debra, Michael Boumann reports that Linda Sierra is a rust bucket. Alas, it seems that if you buy any daylilies from the South in the spring, you will have rust in the fall. They look so clean when they arrive, but just wait....

• 7 years ago

mantis_oh Here's a question for you . What would happen if one were to buy Linda Sierra from a northern garden where rust doesnt survive and assuming you have no rust in the southern garden of the buyer would it still develop rust ? Would this still be a problem ?I grow Linda Sierra , bought from a northern seller and I have seen no evidence what so ever of rust on this plant . Just wondering .

• 7 years ago

signet_gw- I got LL from Oakes Daylilies. I found out later that it is not registered, but nothing on the website to indicate that. It's a dormant dip that reblooms for me.

David- I'll sign up for messenger. I'm sure we can work a trade for any of my lilies you like.

Best, James.

• 7 years ago

Signet, if you have no rust in your garden and the seller is rust free, you needn't worry. I posted the information for those who do frequently get rust and must live with it because of their mild climate. I am a big fan of Linda Sierra, was really wowed by it in the garden in 2015. This year, not quite so good, but that was typical of the year's problems. I cannot imagine what it would be like to constantly have rust, because the few times an infestation has broken out in the fall (because of plants bought in the spring from the South), it has been very frustrating to deal with. There are many northern growers who have had rust infestations in the fall because of imported plants. For example, Karol Emmerich has acknowledged this, as has Oak Hill daylilies. Michael Boumann had a terrible rust outbreak late last year.

• 7 years ago

James , then you must have the same Lady Lucille that I have. Unregistered and sold by All American .....none of their Lady series are registered daylilies and thus the confusion as they name their daylilies whatever they want and do not recognize the difficulty this presents when they name a daylily the same name as an already registered daylily . What really frustrates me is that I wasted the money on an unregistered daylily that was misrepresented . After I planted it and it bloomed and looked nothing like the registered version I was wanting, I contacted the seller and that was when they fessed up to it being the wrong plant. Not a great business practice in my mind.

Here is the picture of the registered version of Lady Lucille by Warrell borrowed from the AHS database . It looks nothing like the one that was sold to me .

• 7 years ago

James, I still don't see that you have enabled messages.

Lana Ishee --very brilliant this past year

• 7 years ago

I'm sorry. I can't seem to figure the message thing out.

• 7 years ago

James if you want to be able to receive a message click on Your Houzz in the upper right corner then click Edit Profile. On the left side there is a short list, at the bottom of the list click Advanced settings. Scroll down and you will see a box that allows you to receive messages. Click on that and then scroll to the bottom and click on the green box that says Update.

• 7 years ago

Thank you, peren.all!

• 7 years ago

You are most welcome James.

• 7 years ago

La Dolce Vita --I like this one quite a bit, though it doesn't seem to be widely grown. Moldovans are just too reliably cast iron, I suppose.