SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rsb148

Revisiting, what is the biggest and most double zinnia?

Bob
7 years ago

Hello! This Zinnia question has been asked here multiple times over the years. I have really enjoyed reading the replies that have been posted. Many thanks to ALL the members who have contributed! Nonetheless, with the endless breeding that happens with Zinnia's, it's probable that the answers to this question is ever evolving. However, sometimes, it seems that it's only the names that have been changed. Therein is one of the reasons for me to revisit this subject. Due to a relatively recent diagnoses of stage IV cancer. I'm faced with a predicted very limited amount of growing seasons left available to me. While I have plenty of space to plant multiple dozens of Zinnia varieties, my energy level precludes this shotgun approach to arriving at the answer of which Zinnias are THE ones I should plant to decorate my landscape with, in my remaining year(s).

I first started decorating my landscape with Zinnias 3 years ago when I planted some 'Cut and Come Again' in the large beds in front of my house. The predicted ease of growing them was true! The planting was long lasting and beautiful too. The second year I decided to try orange zinnia's in the same beds and went with Magellan. I had even better results. Another success! By that time I was hooked on this terrific plant. Last year, I again went with the orange theme and planted Orange King. They were AMAZING. People driving by on the county highway next to my property began pulling over when I was out in the yard, telling me how wonderful the planting was and asking for seeds. Even the mailman! So, I'm hooked on zinnias and will be planting them as long as I am able. This year I again want to plant a traffic stopper. Great big, tall and large showy flowered is what I'm looking for. Only this year, I'm thinking about trying the color red. And I am overwhelmed with the choices. So far, I've purchased seeds for California Giant Red and Benary's Giant Scarlet for the main bed out front. I would like to stay with red zinnias for the remaining beds on my 3 ½ acres. But the choices seem daunting. Or as said above, perhaps it's just new names for varieties I already have seed for. That's where you all can maybe help. If anyone can give me insight on the following, I'd be most appreciative. Has anyone here grown or have more information on the following Zinnias? I do have room for at least several others...

Giant Dahlia Flowered Scarlet?

Big Red?

My Lucky Ladies?

Cherry Time Cactus flowered?

Scarlet Flame?

Will Rodgers?

Burpee Exquisite?

Zahara Scarlet?

State Fair Red (not the mix)?

Scarlet Giant?

Zinnia Red Beauty?

Giant Cactus Red?

Gigantica Crimson, Scarlet, or Cherry?

Cherry Queen?

Sun Red Hybrid?

Organic Red Scarlet?

Something in the Ruffles series, Scarlet?

Something in the Splendor series?

Something in the Blue Point series?

Something in the Border Beauty series?

Z. peruviana, Bonita Red?

Yoga?

Z. pulmila?

Z. averosa?

Z. pauciflora?

Scarlet Oklahoma?

Have you grown any of these? In your opinion, are there any that I simply MUST try this year? Are there others (tall red) I might have missed & that I'd be sorry if I didn't plant?

I have no issue spending money on seeds, in years past I've bought seeds for up to 40 types of heirloom tomatoes. However, it seems wasteful to pay for a zinnia that I already have seeds for, only under a different name.

I'm sorry that this has been so long, seed shopping has been such a terrific diversion for me. Thanks so much in advance to anyone, for any advice you can give.

Comments (22)