SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alm922

SOS! Plumbing Budget - typical $$ allotment for fixtures and install?

alm922
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

We have hit a huge road bump and are pretty disappointed with the lack of thought/info/transparency from our builder. In fairness, we did not clarify early on the breakdown of the plumbing line item from our budget, listed as $35,000. However, as we are now in the process of picking fixtures, we were notified that we have only $11,000 to work with for fixture selection. This seems WAY off to me. Full disclosure: the total cost to build the home (not including lot purchase) is $1.23 million. The home we are building is timber framed and will have a lot of beautiful wood, so I know a large chunk of budget is associated with that. We are building in an expensive part of the country, so I know some things might be a little off in comparison to other places, but this seems very wrong.

The home we are building is 5212 s.f. - 3.5 bathrooms, a freestanding tub drawn into the plans, full kitchen with prep sink, basement bar sink, as well as laundry room utility sink. I do have some areas I'd like to splurge - a nice tub and Shaws farmhouse kitchen sink, but was planning to remain fairly conservative in other areas with nothing fancy, but expecting to be able to do something mid-range, well made/good quality. This seems really hard to do on this small amount! Am I being crazy? We are building a well-built, beautiful home with high quality materials and I am a little shocked that the plumbing budget seems to not follow the same allowance consideration for quality materials.

Do we get another plumbing bid? Order online and void the plumber's guarantee of installation work by buying our own fixtures instead of through a supplier? Go over budget and hope to make it up elsewhere? HELP!

Home: 5212 s.f.

Cost to build: $1.23 million ($236 s.f.)

Plumbing budget line: $35,000 (installation + fixtures)

Fixture allowance breakdown: $11,000

• master bath with freestanding tub
  • kid bath with double sinks, tub/shower combo
  • "man cave" basement bath with shower, sink, toilet, urinal
  • powder room
  • kitchen with prep sink
  • bar with sink
  • laundry room utility sink

Comments (13)