SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissaaipapa

OT: transplanting a mature tree peony

Can it be done? Rationally I don't see why not, but I am still in awe of tree peonies, and the idea of digging one up and moving it is intimidating. This one has been in place for a decade, growing in adverse conditions and hanging on and even developing. I want to move it because it clashes completely with everything around it. As a matter of curiosity, the peony, which I bought unlabeled, is probably 'Shima-Nishiki'. It had bright red flowers every spring, until last year it startled me by hatching out a number of red-and-white-striped blooms. It it keeps on it's going to be the last word in gaudiness, and I outgrew my passion for red-and-white variegation a long time ago. But a peony that can grow in the conditions this one has survived in deserves to live. Nevertheless I would like to remove it from the purple lilac and gold-variegated euonymus that are its current neighbors, and put it somewhere where it can flaunt it blooms alone. So, folks, can I safely move it? I would be doing this in late fall, the best time here for planting and transplanting, not now.

Comments (4)