cheap birdseed mistake
9 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (13)
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
Related Discussions
Purchasing birdseed suggestions?
Comments (16)GMX2, I don't know how well thistle seed lasts, but I would store it in a dry, cool place and try again in the fall. The only birds I know that eat it regularly are the migrating goldfinches, so you'll have to wait until they are passing through again. I only had 2 or 3 goldfinches this year, too, compared to at least 20 or more last year, which stayed for weeks. I hope that's not a bad sign! Maybe they found a better source somewhere else. Generally, I wait until I see the first goldfinch at my regular tray feeder before I hang out a thistle sock or wire thistle feeder. Sometimes I sometimes add a little pile of thistle to the tray feeder to help them "get started." I find a tray style feeder to be the best all around feeder in the yard. Gets a larger variety of birds than any other type, though I hang several out there. I always have at least one with a very small perch area so the little birds have a good chance, too. Not all birds will eat safflower, but many will, and it is a great hit with cardinals and titmice. The black oiler sunflower seeds are definitely the best overall birdseed, drawing in more types of birds than anything else. And I'm loving the hull-less mix I got yesterday at PetSmart. It has peanuts and a bit of fruit in it, too, and boy do the birds love it. A much smaller mound of it goes as far as a HUGE heap of seeds in the shell. This morning, a red-bellied woodpecker was taking advantage. (They are just about the only woodpecker that will come to the feeder. The rest prefer insects. The red-bellied will eat both insects and some seeds...usually sunflower. A photo of two red-bellied males enjoying some peanuts, another favorite of theirs. You can tell these are both males because the red on their heads comes all the way foreward to their beak. On the females, the red starts back much farther on the head.) Marcia...See MoreHelp! Birdseed growing in yard
Comments (11)I have had the same problem a few years ago with a WalMart mix that "looked" very nice (to avoid pigeons and feed cardinals, juncos, etc.). It had lots of oil sunflower and red millet, for instance... but also, I was to discover, an awful lot of mustard-type seeds - I once researched it but cannot recall if it really was mustard-related or not - that the birds here simply ignored, and that sprang like rage all over the place!! I killed it by pulling and using heavy mulch. Then I replaced those mixes with pure oil-type sunflower + pure white millet (which I scatter in specific, inconspicuous places in order to avoid attracting pigeons... which works!!), and no problems anymore. This all depends on the region you inhabit. Take the trouble and talk to a good wild bird seed specialist in your area about what can be troublesome there for the environment vs. the birds species you really want to help....See More'cheap' birdseed?
Comments (7)Hey deanie! I can only answer for myself and give my opinion. I agree with Kendra. I think that the less you spend for seed mixes, the more millet, corn, and milo you get in the mixes. So, "cheap" seed is the seed with tons of that stuff which draws in the undesirables. I only feed Black Oil Sunflower, Thistle(Nyjer),Suet,Peanuts,Sunflower Hearts/Chips, and dried cherries and raisins. Look for seed mixes that contain NO millet, corn, or milo. There are loads of great options, even at Walmart. Every single time I have tried any mix containing any millet, here come the flocks of undesirable birds. That is just my experience. Some people may not have that problem. HTH.~~Angie...See Moreany sterile mixed birdseed?
Comments (7)One of the simplest solutions to seed mess is to feed seed that birds in your region readily eat. Many seed mixes have filler seed, such as wheat, that birds don't prefer so they throw it out of the way so they can get to the stuff they do like. Feed seed they like and the birds will waste less. I don't know what type of feeder you're using but some seeds work best scattered on the ground. Corn in any form is one as are millet and milo. Milo, the little round orange basketball looking seed, is one of the most common filler seeds used and one of the least bird preferred seeds there is. Yes they will eat it but usually only after all the good stuff is gone. That being said, doves of any type will eat milo but what won't they eat? Rodents also like milo and milo loves to grow in gardens and lawns. Millet is a very well liked seed but it is best fed out of a tray of some sort or directly on the ground. Most birds that like really like millet prefer to eat low or on the ground, native sparrows and juncos for example. Another way to avoid shell mess or sprouting issues is to feed a hulled seed. Hulled seeds have had their outer hull removed by mechanical means. When you remove a seeds hull it won't sprout, at least 99% of the time. Also, no hulls = no hull mess! Hulled seed and seed blends do cost more than regular seed but you get more edible seed per the same amount of weight. 25 lbs. of hulled seed is 100% edible whereas 25 lbs. regular seed (with hulls on) is not that high and you're buying hulls that will be thrown on the ground. I'm not saying the 25 lbs. of regular seed is not edible, I'm saying that part of that weight is made up of inedible hulls. Lastly, you get what you pay for. Cheap seed is cheap seed. Cheap seed is often old or stale. Birds will waste a lot of it looking for more palatable seed which may or may not be in there. Cheap seed often is bulked out with filler seed/grain that will wind up on the ground. It's also often bulked out with gravel. I'm not kidding. A large discount chain whose name starts with a "w" and ends with a "t" often sells seed which contains fine gravel. I inquired about it and was told, "Everyone knows birds need rocks in their food". Well, that wasn't "grit" and I'm not feeding parakeets. The points of this harangue are feeding quality seed that is mixed for your regional birds is the easiest way to lessen waste and mess. If it's within your means feeding a hulled seed/blend will lessen it even more. If possible, avoid blends containing corn or milo. If you do feed these, feed them on the ground instead of putting them in a feeder as they are more readily consumed by ground feeding birds. Buena suerte!...See More- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
Related Stories

DECORATING GUIDESFrom Queasy Colors to Killer Tables: Your Worst Decorating Mistakes
Houzzers spill the beans about buying blunders, painting problems and DIY disasters
Full Story
MOST POPULARSo You Say: 30 Design Mistakes You Should Never Make
Drop the paint can, step away from the brick and read this remodeling advice from people who’ve been there
Full Story
BATHROOM DESIGN5 Common Bathroom Design Mistakes to Avoid
Dodge blunders in toilet placement, shower type and more, and see examples of how to get your bathroom right
Full Story
DIY PROJECTSMake a Gorgeous (Cheap!) Pillow Using Vintage Clothes
With secondhand fabric and a steady hand on the sewing machine, your pillow choices are endless
Full Story
FURNITUREDecorating 101: How to Shop for Furniture
Learn what furniture to get rid of, what to look for when buying, and how to avoid mistakes
Full Story
GREAT HOME PROJECTSWhat to Know Before Refinishing Your Floors
Learn costs and other important details about renewing a hardwood floor — and the one mistake you should avoid
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESHere's How to Steer Clear of 10 Top Design Don'ts
Get interiors that look professionally styled even if you're taking the DIY route, by avoiding these common mistakes
Full Story
CONTRACTOR TIPSContractor Tips: How to Shop for Your Remodel
Small mistakes in buying remodeling materials can add up to huge cost overruns. Here's how to get things right the first time
Full Story
FURNITUREHolding Out for Quality
Cheap furniture has its place, but more shoppers are waiting to invest for the long haul
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNThe Cure for Houzz Envy: Kitchen Touches Anyone Can Do
Take your kitchen up a notch even if it will never reach top-of-the-line, with these cheap and easy decorating ideas
Full StorySponsored
More Discussions
Tim