SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

Harry says Goodbye

caroline94535
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

A jagged hole was torn into my heart today.

This morning I was sitting next to Harry's love seat. I helped him straightened out into a more comfortable position and put a blanket on him.

He was trembling more than ever. He was very cold. He would not get up.

Each heartbeat and breath he took was a deep tremble. Neither of us slept last night.

I knealt on the floor and cuddled him for a half-hour. He was calm but shaking. He would lift his head to nibble my chin ever so often; that's always been his kisses for me.

He was almost asleep. I told him it's okay to go, but he was still shaking and twitching his front legs.

I called Wes at work. I told him I would call the vet when he opened at 9 a.m. I took the first appointment, 1:30 p.m.

As soon as Wes got home I pulled my car out to the front steps and let it warm up.

We bundled Harry in blankets; I sat back there with him until we got to the vet.

We had the coldest night of the year last night. Wes said there were three cars overturned on the highway yesterday, no fatalities, and the wind is howling.

It was a terrible day for a terrible event.

I prayed that my sweet boy would pass naturally before we left the house, but he did not.

I did not want to walk this path today. I was not ready.

Harry (Iacchus vom Drosselbart)

Jan. 11 2003 - Jan. 13, 2017
14 years, 3 days

Comments (78)

• eld6161
    7 years ago

((((((((Hugs)))))))

caroline94535 thanked eld6161
  • janey_alabama
    7 years ago

I am so sorry. Very hard to lose a fur baby.

caroline94535 thanked janey_alabama
  • Related Discussions

Saying goodbye to our kitchen.....

Q

Comments (47)
    Oh Katieob, One door closes another door opens. I believe your next kitchen is going to be more stunning. Right now it is hard to imagine but it will happen. With your taste, talent, vision and creativity, your next kitchen will be a dream come true. I have been in a similar situation. Not the kitchen but the home. I left a fantastic neighborhood, a dream home, and great schools because of my DH's promotion. It was a hard to say good-bye. And I missed all the little details of my old place. I missed my friends, my garden, my cute little office, my fireplace in the master bed room, tiled patio, pool, living just 20 miles from DC... But, DH and I made the right choice for our family. We moved into a new adventure that got our minds excited. This new place you move to will give you a challenge and ignite your brain. You will make the next kitchen as magnificent (probably more so) then the one you are saying good-bye too. And you are doing this for your family. I think what helped me the most was reminding myself that my family came first. My family and what makes us work as a family was priority. You are doing this for your husband and your children. This will get you through the rough patch. And your sweet new baby will get to part of the transformation of a new place into a stunning kitchen. You can do this. Say good-bye and then say BRING IT ON. Bring on the new possibilities, the new ideas, and the new options and let the joy unfold. ~boxer
    ...See More

Say goodbye to your Magnolia's in Chicago tonight if anyone had any

Q

Comments (7)
    Oh, it is macrophylla. Yes, it will be interesting to see if yours survives. Good luck! Macrophylla is a non-starter where I'm at, but I do have tripetala, which some folks refer to as Big Leaf. I've also got sieboldii and acuminata, with the former being most likely to fail. Does anyone in z4/5 have M. obovata? There's nothing like a magnolia thread to break me out of my winter blahs. :)
    ...See More

Getting ready to say goodbye.

Q

Comments (68)
    I'm so sorry to hear this. I lost my 16 year old beagle 18 months ago. My vet came to the house and it was a peaceful ending after she had suffered horrible seizures in the days before.
    ...See More

Saying goodbye to another kitty...

Q

Comments (105)
    Thank you all, sweet friends. I woke up feeling like we made the best decision for Pooh. In talking with a colleague at work yesterday, the word we hit upon that keeps coming back to me is "mercy." Sometimes it is merciful to end clear suffering. That he'd had an "ok" day on occasion didn't change the fact that he wasn't going to get better. Facts are so hard to accept, but I know it would not have been a kindness to let him go on as he was. Anyway, this thread has touched my heart and is helping me begin healing. We never forget our little furry friends, and what a wonderful thing it is to carry them in our hearts. Thanks again.
    ...See More
  • User
    7 years ago

So sorry.......

caroline94535 thanked User
  • hooked123
    7 years ago

I am so sorry (((Hugs))).

caroline94535 thanked hooked123
  • sleeperblues
    7 years ago

Through my tears I write this. I am so sorry for your loss, Caroline. Harry was a special friend. I'm sorry he had to leave you and Wes.

caroline94535 thanked sleeperblues
  • phyllis__mn
    7 years ago

Joining the others in thinking of you this morning. Harry was a part of us, too, and I think we all felt the love you had for him.

caroline94535 thanked phyllis__mn
  • nickel_kg
    7 years ago

My condolences too.

caroline94535 thanked nickel_kg
  • aok27502
    7 years ago

Add my tears to the pond. RIP Harry, you were a handsome boy, and such a GOOD DOG.

He knew right up until his final second that he was cherished. You made the right choice, as much as it hurts. We made this choice a few months ago, and I still talk to her as I pass her in the yard. Only gone in body, forever in your heart and memories.

caroline94535 thanked aok27502
  • wanda_va
    7 years ago

I am so sorry. Harry has been a friend of ours for so long, and we will miss him also. I know how much it hurts...been there. Hugs!

caroline94535 thanked wanda_va
  • nicole___
    7 years ago

My heart goes out to you Caroline. (((hugs)))

caroline94535 thanked nicole___
  • Alisande
    7 years ago

I'm so sorry, Caroline. There is no good day for it. We are never ready. We have to hope they are. Harry had a wonderful life, and I have good reason to believe you will be with each other again.

caroline94535 thanked Alisande
  • lgmd_gaz
    7 years ago

Anyone who has had a 'Harry' in their lives know the suffering you are going through, and the joy that comes with having had that special pet in our lives. I am one of those grieving for your loss also. Hugs for you and all who loved Harry.

caroline94535 thanked lgmd_gaz
  • notolover
    7 years ago

Hope that hole in your heart starts healing with time. Hugs and good thoughts to you.

Just happened to click on your post and I was struck by how similar your dog looked to my friend's (different eyes, though). She had to let him go on Thursday.......I know how hard it is for both of you right now. Brings back bittersweet memories of my Golden Boy.

caroline94535 thanked notolover
  • Jasdip
    7 years ago

Oh, not Harry the Wonder Dog!!! Oh Caroline, my heart is breaking for you and Wes. Count me as another of your KT friends with tears in their eyes. We've watched Harry's antics through the years and have enjoyed every one of your posts.

Everyone has a 'favourite child' and it's no secret that Harry was yours. I loved Sam, as I always have a soft spot for the underdog :-)

Don't rush the grieving, your heart will heal. Give Sam extra hugs and kisses even if you have to talk about Harry while you're doing it. He needs the affection now too.

(((Caroline, Wes, Harry and Sam))))

caroline94535 thanked Jasdip
  • cooper8828
    7 years ago

I am so sorry for your loss.

caroline94535 thanked cooper8828
  • mstork
    7 years ago

Caroline, I am so sorry. I am an occasional long time lurker, and well remember Harry as a pup and a young dog. Your Harry reminds me so much of our Emily, a white shepherd/yellow lab cross who was with us for 15 years. One of a litter of 12, she chose us by plopping into our 4 year old son's lap and refusing to get off. Needless to say, the two became inseparable, and Emily spent her time becoming a constant companion to our son and his friends. Eventually, her gait became wobbly, her balance was off, she was incontinent, and more or less deaf. One night, during a thunderstorm, she became afraid......although she had always slept upstairs with us or her kid, she could no longer do stairs. She tries to get up, had trouble, and splayed, breaking her pelvis in the process. We called our vet first thing in the morning, and he and his assistant arrived shortly after lunch. Emily went so peacefully, her head cradled in our son's lap.....she left us as she had arrived. Our son and I sobbed the entire time, and both the young vet and his assistant wiped tears. Some of our son's friends arrived, and they lovingly transported her to some of our land just outside of town where they and Em had spent countless hours playing in the creek, building forts, and climbing trees. Hopefully I didn't detract from your story, Caroline. My purpose was to show you that many people can empathize with you in your loss.......I wish I could say that at some point you won't miss Harry........but a person always does mourn that piece of their heart that has gone ahead.

caroline94535 thanked mstork
  • caflowerluver
    7 years ago

My eyes are overflowing as I am adding my sincere sympathy for your loss. I have gone through it too many times before. It never gets easy, not that should. Cherish the memories.

caroline94535 thanked caflowerluver
  • Georgysmom
    7 years ago

I am more than overflowing.....All of us who have been there feel your pain. Harry will be missed by us all. Thank you for sharing the many pictures over the years. ((((Caroline & Wes)))).......and be sure to give a big hug to Sam, too.

caroline94535 thanked Georgysmom
  • sjerin
    7 years ago

Ohhh, I'm so very sorry, Caroline. I really enjoyed hearing about your Harry and no one could have done more for him, especially at the end. He led a VERY good life with you and Wes and Sam. But there's no getting over the heartbreak, which is why I've hesitated getting a dog, even though I love them. Perhaps you can think of his spirit still hanging out with you; you could even talk to him. :) I wish you both peace.

caroline94535 thanked sjerin
  • donna_loomis
    7 years ago

Oh, Caroline, I am so sorry for your loss. Once you mentioned him nibbling your chin, as his way of kissing you, I could barely read the rest for the tears in my eyes. I have no words to comfort you, because I know this pain must seem unbearable. Only know that you shared a great love and we at the table share your loss.

caroline94535 thanked donna_loomis
  • pkramer60
    7 years ago

I am crying with you. We watched him grow up so this is personal for so many of us here.

It is never easy to do this, but it is the right thing to do, ending any pain and suffering. I went through this 3 years ago with my Dilly and can relate to how you feel. Your heart physically hurts, your mind is a mess. Cry your tears, come here for comfort.

Harry had great, loving parents and gave his love to you freely. How we all wish that they stayed with us longer than they do.

Peppi

PS: They say our furkids come back to let us know they are OK so listen for the sound of his tags and watch for a glimpse of him out of the corner of your eye.

caroline94535 thanked pkramer60
  • socks
    7 years ago

What a heartbreak. I know how it hurts. I'm so sorry. Keep the good memories close at heart.

caroline94535 thanked socks
  • User
    7 years ago

I am so very sorry. We lost our beloved lab last May and I still can't look at photos of him. It just tears your heart out.

• User
    7 years ago

I agree with pkramer. It took me 9 months before I felt ready to adopt again. Logan has been a secret savior. He's a lot like Dief was & helps me to remember the good times.

I didn't plan any of it. I just had a strange overwhelming calling to visit my local shelter one day.

Logan was in room 1149. (Which was my address number when I lived in Phoenix.) First sign from Dief.

We bonded quickly. He loves Diefs toys and sleeps in ALL the same spots Dief did. Logan is also in love with Max, another bonus.

I know you can't think this far ahead, and I wouldn't want you to. Follow your heart. The mourning phase lasts quite awhile, but my prayers are with you.

Dief will meet Harry with open paws as they look down on us with love.

• graywings123
    7 years ago

I am so, so sorry for your loss, but feel good that you made the hard decision not to cause him to suffer.

caroline94535 thanked graywings123
  • Yayagal
    7 years ago

I went through this yesterday, lost our dear Troy, an Italian mini greyhound. What you wrote so beautifully is exactly how I feel. There has to be a place in heaven for our pets.

caroline94535 thanked Yayagal
  • User
    7 years ago

I always loved reading about Harry and am seeing pictures of him. I'm so sorry for your loss.

• caroline94535
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I want to thank each of you. I'm struggling through one breath at a time.

I have very few photos of Harry and me together. I no longer look like "me," and don't want photos taken. Of the ones I have, this is my favorite.

This is my Harry and I am his Mama. To get to him you have to go through me; and to get to me you have to go through him.

• User
    7 years ago

Max my German Shepherd always had a habit to bark for Dief when it was potty time outside.

I remember crying my eyes out the first time Max went potty outside alone. He kept barking for Dief & refused to go alone.

I told Max that Dief isn't coming & he's gone forever. Of course Max didn't understand. But he still searched my car, garage, backyard & house for Dief for weeks.

• FlamingO in AR
    7 years ago

I'm so sorry. Harry was the most special dog and I know you'll miss him terribly. So sad.

caroline94535 thanked FlamingO in AR
  • joyfulguy
    7 years ago

Dear Caroline,

I'm so sad that you've lost your precious pal Harry. My heart goes out to you ... whose care for others told me that I should have wakened you on my arrival ... at something like 4 in the morning, if this faulty old memory recalls correctly.

May you have a feeling of peace in your heart as you move forward, thankful that you had the wisdom, love and courage to be able to let him go when the time was appropriate.

Best wishes to you, (((((Caroline and Wes ... and Sam))))) as you slowly get used to the new dimension of life, with Harry no longer there in body to greet you many times daily.

ole joyful

caroline94535 thanked joyfulguy
  • Marilyn Sue McClintock
    7 years ago

I am so very sorry for your loss of Harry. Such a hard thing to do.

Sue

caroline94535 thanked Marilyn Sue McClintock
  • hounds_x_two
    7 years ago

Sending hugs your way. I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved Harry.

caroline94535 thanked hounds_x_two
  • outsideplaying_gw
    7 years ago

Caroline, I am so sorry about Harry. He's a magnificent dog. His face reminds me a little of our old Sarge, a chocolate lab we adopted several years ago. We think he's about 10-11 now, and he's getting very gray.

caroline94535 thanked outsideplaying_gw
  • Amazing Aunt Audrey
    7 years ago

Oh sweetie my heart breaks for you. They don't live as long as we do. They do however love us unconditionally all the years they do have. That's why they should always be pampered and protected. I know you loved him. So very sorry.

caroline94535 thanked Amazing Aunt Audrey
  • PattiG(rose)
    7 years ago

Caroline, thank you for sharing Harry with us. I am sorry for your loss, but he knows how much love you had for him. It's very hard.

caroline94535 thanked PattiG(rose)
  • pattico_gw
    7 years ago

I know how you feel.....lost my little yorky this summer....she ran off one day this summer and I have never found out what happened to her. I had her for about 14 years. and miss her.....

I am so sad for you...they can't be replaced.

Hugs to you.

caroline94535 thanked pattico_gw
  • lisa_fla
    7 years ago

Caroline-my heart goes out to you. Harry was such a sweet boy! It always brightened my day to see a post from you with a picture of Harry. They were all beautiful! He certainly had an active life. I loved seeing him enjoying the outdoors. The birthdays pics really cracked me up! I will think of Harry and all the good times he had. He packed a lot of fun in those 14 years.

caroline94535 thanked lisa_fla
  • donna37
    7 years ago

RIP Harry. (((Caroline)))

caroline94535 thanked donna37
  • sprtphntc7a
    7 years ago

((((((SO SORRY)))))) we have been through this many times also, and its just the worst.

This helped me, i hope it helps you in some way:

You will be sad, i understand,

Don't let your grief then stay your hand

For this day more than all the rest,

Your love for me must stand the test.

I know in time that you will see

The kindness that you did for me.

Although my tail its last has waved,

From pain and suffering I've been saved.

Unknown

caroline94535 thanked sprtphntc7a
  • blubird
    7 years ago

Run free, Harry. You had a spectacular life here on earth.

caroline94535 thanked blubird
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    7 years ago

bye-bye cutie! (((Caroline)))

caroline94535 thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • whistle_gw
    7 years ago

Much love to everyone who loved Harry. (((hugs))) Such a beautiful soul!

caroline94535 thanked whistle_gw
  • fran1523
    7 years ago

So sorry to hear about your loss. He was a sweetie.

caroline94535 thanked fran1523
  • bob_cville
    7 years ago

My sincere condolences for your loss. Harry seemed like such a sweet dog. Somehow, even knowing "it's time", doesn't make the heartache any less.

I'm glad that Harry always liked visiting the vet, so that his last moments were not made unnecessarily unpleasant. With Spot a couple of years ago, he hated going to the vet. He had been there twice in the preceding few days as we tried to see whether anything could be done for his back injury and he shook in fear the whole time we were there. Fortunately my wife got a recommendation for a local vet who would make house calls when "it's time".

caroline94535 thanked bob_cville
  • Cherryfizz
    7 years ago

Awe Caroline, I am sad to hear about Harry. He was a handsome lad. I loved reading your stories of his antics and your pictures. I sure know how you are feeling. I was devastated when I had to let my 16 year old Loki go. I am still not over losing him and it will be 2 years in March. Not a day goes by that I don't think of him. Big hug my friend.

caroline94535 thanked Cherryfizz
  • share_oh
    7 years ago

My heart breaks with you. I always pray mine will pass on their own but they never do. It's wonderful that we can help them go pain-free but it's never easy. He was a beautiful boy and I'm happy you had 14 years together!

caroline94535 thanked share_oh
  • cheryl_okla
    7 years ago

No words can heel your broken heart...I've been there and will be again I'm sure. I'm sorry for your loss and your families sadness

caroline94535 thanked cheryl_okla
  • Sherry8aNorthAL
    7 years ago

Caroline, Thank you for taking time to help me with Thor. That had to be so hard to do. Harry looked like he was having so much fun on the camping trip. I'm glad he liked going to the vet.

caroline94535 thanked Sherry8aNorthAL
  • Toni S
    7 years ago

I don't get back to the KT very often and I'm so sad to see Harry has passed. I know how much you enjoyed him from years ago and we enjoyed his stories too. He lived a great long life with you.

caroline94535 thanked Toni S