SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
isgen

Winterly slump: pepper plants and other food diy

isgen
7 years ago

Perhaps winter time does not let us grow as much stuff, but it does afford more time to attend other food and drink projects.

One of my two overwintering yellow Rocotos, as a house plant, doing well despite not much sunlight.

Several of us have shown-off our kimchi endeavors in the past, here's a new batch of mine. I kept things simple this time and did not go for the fancy quartered or whole-leaf rolling techniques, but just chopped the napa cabbage up. No doubt it'll taste just the same. This one is about 5 days into fermentation in a somewhat cool room and will be going in the fridge in a day or two.

Here's a bit of wine I'm making. I had two 5 gallon batches going on from last year, but I am ashamed to say I neglected racking them in time and lost them to oxidation and strong off-flavours. I have to make up for this before I run out of my bottled supply, so I've been making 1 gallon batches en masse as of late. Seen below are blackberry, strawberry, cranberry, highbush cranberry, one mead with elderberry and another mead with whey and caramelized honey, technically a Bochet/Lactomel.

I also have a batch of beetroot wine I just started today in the primary fermentation crock.

I've been wanting to make bread for quite a while, but never got around to it. I finally took the time and made several small loaves of no-knead country breads using the lees from my winemaking instead of packs of bread yeast.

And I always have a few microgreens going on under the shop lights.

Before we know it, it'll be time to plan the 2017 season. Pepper varieties and quantities and trotting about in my head already...

So what keeps you guys busy during the cold season?

Comments (21)

Sponsored