SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cliu8918

Question about treating wood paneling

lc
7 years ago

Hi:

We are not sure if this is the right forum to post this question. Hopefully, we can get some advice. Thanks.

My husband and I bought this house built in 1947 and have been working with an architect to update it. It has taken forever to get ready for the renovation. We are still working the plans, etc. We like the way the house looks and want to keep the same feel as much as possible. The house is pretty much clad in redwood. We assume that is the wood species ( what we are told by the seller ). We are planning to keep the exterior wood sidings, but we are torn about what to do with the interior wood paneling. We like the way the paneled ceiling look, but feel the wall panels are way too dark. Is there anything we can do to re-finish the wall panels to make them lighter, more similar to the way the ceiling looks? My husband would rather not whitewash the walls. We would like to keep the wall panels to preserve the character, but the dark color is too much. I guess we are debating if we should keep the wall panels or remove them and put up drywall.

Here are some pics of the interior. Thanks again!

Comments (17)