SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sam_md

BEARBERRY

sam_md
7 years ago

Gray's Manual describes Archtostaphylos uva-ursi as a "trailing shrub" and that's good enough for me. It's a broad-leaved evergreen member of the heath family and hugs the ground to form a carpet. Being a nice day we decided to run up to the New Jersey Pine Barrens, this time of year no mosquitos, no rattlesnakes. There we found bearberry along Route 72 just past the intersection of 563. It was on both sides of the road. One side was shaded by pitch pine, the other side full sun.

It grows happily there in a mixture of sand and gravel. The barrens are a great place for studying the heath family, there are countless species that benefit from the mycorrhizal association which is necessary to exist in this nutrient-poor soil.

Notice the teaberry mixed in with bearberry. The red berries of bearberry have lost much of their color I presume because of the cold. Each berry contains one, large seed. Interesting how bearberry favors the roadbank, apparently no problems from road salt.

Bearberry is not listed in my state's flora and found in only one location in Virginia's Shenandoah National Park. I have only seen it used in a cultivated planting twice. It is available in the wholesale trade. Clearly it will not tolerate heavy, water-retentive soil. Also it cannot handle competition from other plants. Do you have this species in a garden setting? If not, why not?

Comments (33)

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone