No tomato based products
9 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (8)
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
Related Discussions
Most Productive Heirloom Tomatoes??
Comments (10)I way second ColoKid! I know this will make a lot of folks around here gasp, but I just got my tomatoe seeds put in on Sunday---expecting to see them up SOON! If I had a light setup to grow them under I'd start them sooner, but so far I've been too lazy with the lights! And if I start them any sooner without lights to keep them under, I have to carry them out and in every day until it's safe to put them in the ground--and I get SO tired of doing that! The light I have by windows is nowhere near sufficient! This is about the time I get around to starting them every year and they always seem to work out for me. They're started in plastic pots in a good quality mix--I use Sunshine #1, and as soon as they germinate they go outside as much as is possible--in ALL conditions, sun, clouds, wind, whatever (well, no hail!), as long as it's above about 45-50 degrees. Go out as soon as I get up in the morning and in when the sun's setting--and I move them around the yard as necessary to keep them in the sun as much as possible. As soon as the roots are to the bottom of the small pots they're started in they get potted up one size (to 3" pots) and normally by the time they outgrow those they can be put in the ground. If you're new to tomatoes, whenever they get repotted or planted out, remove the lower leaves and bury the stem all the way up to the remaining leaves. Tomatoes are one of the few things that will root all along the stem, and the more roots you have, generally the "better" plant you'll have. And Elkwc/Jay said this up above, but which tomatoes work the best for one person doesn't mean they'll necessarily be the best for others--or even for that person in different years. Tomatoes seem to be very fickle! What grows well for you will depend on your location, soil, light, water, weather, temperatures, and a whole bunch more stuff, sometimes including, I believe, The Fates! I recommend you try as many different varieties as you can for the first couple years to see which seem to (usually) work the best for you. Then keep some notes each year and (if your hard drive doesn't crash like mine did!) you'll have something to refer back to as you start to decide which ones you want to grow or try in future years. And there's ALWAYS at least a couple tomato threads here each year, so be sure to come join us in our bragging and/or misery as we discover each year what is--and is not--working! Welcome to RMG, Skybird...See MoreTomato plant leaves yellowing at the base with purple spots
Comments (5)Everything gets fungus in Texas. What a pain in the tookus. Early Blight Early Blight can affect the foliage, stems and fruit of tomatoes. Symptoms: Dark spots with concentric rings develop on older leaves first. The surrounding leaf area may turn yellow. Affected leaves may die prematurely, exposing the fruits to sun scald. Gray Leaf Spot Gray Leaf Spot affects only the leaves of tomatoes, starting with the oldest leaves. Symptoms: Small, dark spots that can be seen on both the top and bottom surfaces of the leaves. The spots enlarge and turn a grayish brown. Eventually the centers of the spots crack and fall out. Surrounding leaf areas will turn yellow and the leaves will dry and drop. Fruit production is inhibited Late Blight Late blight affects both the leaves and fruit of tomatoes. Late Blight is the disease responsible for the Irish Potato Famine. Late Blight spreads rapidly. Cool, wet weather encourages the development of the fungus. If you suspect you have Late Blight, contact your Local Extension Service for definite ID. Symptoms: Greasy looking, irregularly shaped gray spots appear on leaves. A ring of white mold can develop around the spots, especially in wet weather. The spots eventually turn dry and papery. Blackened areas may appear on the stems. The fruit also develop large, irregularly shaped, greasy gray spots. Early blight sounds like the right timing....See MoreWhat is this growing out of the base of my tomato plant?
Comments (6)I didn't know what they were called, but yes, they will develop roots if you pull the soil up around them. Or if you transplant them in deeply, these will grow roots. Transplant deeply only if you'rei in the deep south were the soil temps are warm. If not, do like z7_Arkansas said and plant them with the stem horizontally. I've done this with leggy tomatoe plants I bought late and they turned out just great....See MoreCracking tomato stem at base, is there anything I can do?
Comments (9)Sometimes it just happens. Did the mix in the container go through a really dry period and then get a whole bunch of moisture dumped into it suddenly? The xylem can swell with the excess water and split the stem. The good news is that tomato stems are very resilient, vertically oriented damage doesn't cut off the flow of water and nutrients much, and as long as you support the plant well, it shouldn't affect your production. The biggest danger is if a fungus or mold takes advantage of the opening and rots the plant. But things look OK there so far....See More- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
Related Stories

EDIBLE GARDENSSummer Crops: How to Grow Tomatoes
Plant tomato seedlings in spring for one of the best tastes of summer, fresh from your backyard
Full Story
SHOP HOUZZHouzz Products: Save a Taste of Summer
Can't bear to part with the flavors of summer peaches, berries and tomatoes? Then jam on it!
Full Story
PRODUCT PICKSGuest Picks: Type-Based Art Prints
These 19 typography-focused art prints with proverbs, inspirational quotes and more know how to say it in style
Full Story0

SHOP HOUZZHouzz Products: Wood, White and Metal
Crisp yet warm, these furnishings and accessories for every room bring in nature in a most chic way
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNGet More Island Legroom With a Smart Table Base
Avoid knees a-knockin’ by choosing a kitchen island base with plenty of space for seated diners
Full Story
DESIGN DETAILSDesign Workshop: The Modern Wall Base, 4 Ways
Do you really need baseboards? Contemporary design provides minimalist alternatives to the common intersection of floor and wall
Full Story
FURNITUREKnow Your Sofa Options: Arms, Cushions, Backs and Bases
Get your sock arm straight from your track arm — along with everything else — to choose the sofa that’s right for you
Full Story
SHOP HOUZZHouzz Products: Stock Your Kitchen for Autumn
Serve hearty meals with a side of style by gathering up these fall-perfect pots, linens, serving pieces and kitchen tools
Full Story
BENEFICIAL INSECTSAttract Pollinators for a Productive Edible Garden
You can lure bees, butterflies and birds into your yard with the right flowers and nesting spots
Full Story
FARM YOUR YARDHouzz Call: Home Farmers, Show Us Your Edible Gardens
We want to see where your tomatoes, summer squashes and beautiful berries are growing this summer
Full Story
malabacat