SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
coriannh0uzzviolatedmyprivacy

Color scheme garden planning: roses and companions

Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I recently decided to put in some more companions with my new roses. For a few different reasons. First, because planting certain plants is a great way to bring nutrients deeper into my clay soil without having to dig (yep... I'm lazy... or efficient, depending on how you look at it). Second, for pollinators. Third, just because it's pretty. I decided on annuals since I'm mostly going for soil conditioning. I chose some California natives, then also added some peony poppies. All growing from seed, and it is so fun to watch them sprout! I'm super picky about my garden colors and design... but I'm very happy with how this is going to look!

Along the fence...

Felicite et Perpetúe with white peony poppies, white California poppies and white/blue California miniature lupine.

Nahema with pink peony poppies and pink California poppies.

Souvenir du Docteur Jamain with red peony poppies, deep purple peony poppies and red California poppies.

In the actual rose garden...

Falstaff, Young Lycidas and White Pearl in Red Dragon's Mouth with Lacy Phacelia, red California poppies and red peony poppies.

Tess of the D'Urbervilles, Munstead Wood and Heathcliff with the same.

Dames de Chenonceau and Winchester Cathedral with Lacy Phacelia, pink peony poppies and pink California poppies.

Gentle Giant, Barbra Streisand and Paradise with Lacy Phacelia, purple peony poppies and purple California poppies.

The poppies may end up mixing and mingling as they reseed without me catching all of them and putting the seeds where I particularly want them...so these color blocks may only be this distinct for this year. Even so, I'm excited about it! Seeds are sprouting already. I will keep you updated as spring approaches. :)

Comments (99)