SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bethohio3

Our existing home

Beth
7 years ago

Confession 1: I'm really bad at waiting for things

Confession 2: I really feel helpless at finding an architect. I've chatted with ARG about a charette and read everything he recommended :-) but don't know how to find an architect who works that way--someone creative and responsive.

Confession 3: Even though I know we're going to hire an architect I still look at on-line house plans and I can't believe how similar they all are--and how all the ranches are rectangles instead of Ls.

Observation 1: mid-December is not the best time to find, interview architects and get started

Observation 2: I did talk to one builder-recommended architect and he talked about finding out our needs and looking for plans he'd already done. His 'info sheet' didn't even ask anything about how we lived. That was discouraging.

I actually still love our current house plan even though it isn't what we need in the future (the 3 upstairs bedrooms and 1 lower level is a bit of overkill)

I'm posting our existing (we live here and have for 10 years) plan to ask for feedback that might inform our discussions for our next (ranch) house.

I've loved my kitchen, but my next kitchen will be L shaped with an island and a separate beverage center--even if we have to design the house around it.

The formal dining room is used as a second office--it's never had a dining room table in it :-).

I want to GET STARTED on this. <tantrum over>

Comments (24)