SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fabulatrice

2nd sink in small kitchen

fabulatrice
7 years ago

Hi everyone,

We are trying to finish our kitchen plans :)

Our kitchen is small (about 12 x 11.5) and at first I was sure we did not want to try to squeeze in a 2nd sink but now I am thinking about it. Our kitchen is a design puzzle because the room is oddly shaped and has 3 doors (our house is a little 1920s bungalow).

This is the idea. I show at the bottom of the picture what we originally planned to put on that wall (pretty much the same except for no sink).

Here are the reasons why this 2nd sink appeals to me

• People could do things like make a sandwich, wash and cut fruit, etc., while someone else is using main sink for washing up or bigger cooking project, or while the main sink is full of dirty dishes... There are 2 adults and 2 kids in our house.
  • I think it would make us actually use that counter space a lot more, as an actual prep area. Without the sink I fear it would continue to be a dead space that does not get any use, because it is not next to the sink or stove. Right now we have a butcher block table thing there, theoretically giving us 48" of prep space... but it NEVER gets used that way, people just leave things on that surface and it becomes a giant clutter pile. If we need a wide prep space, we generally use the dining room table :)

Here are negatives

• Lose drawer space / counter space, shorten uninterrupted counter space
  • Kitchen project becomes more complicated and costs more....
  • Probably need a disposal there too, otherwise careless people would clog it up all the time.

Please let me know what you think. Is it silly to add a 2nd sink in a kitchen this small? And if we add it, is this a good place to put it?

(P.S. if you wonder why we are not running the counters all the way to the end of the short wall, it's because it would feel too cramped that way, we need the aisle width.)

For reference here is my old thread from earlier this year http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/3760727/kitchen-layout-advice

Comments (22)