SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21884067

A memory of summer.... show yours..

User
7 years ago

Just one will do, anything, doesn't have to be roses either...

...this brightens up my day...

Comments (43)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    7 years ago

Beautiful, gorgeous, divine.....Using various shades of just two colors is inspirational, and the labeling is unobtrusive and so helpful. Even the little vignette of the garden is so pretty. I have nothing to offer that comes even close, and it's naughty of you to set the bar so high. Nevertheless, seeing that picture has enriched my morning incredibly.

User thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • Izzy (zone 10)
    7 years ago

Here is mine...in June...

Left Barbara's Pasture Rose (maybe La Reine), Mel's Heritage eating my garage's roof and on the right Andreola Vittori (Tea rose I got from Euro Desert nursery before closing).

• Related Discussions

RE: Mildred Seaver Memorial - show your Seaver's - Sea Saffire

Q

Comments (1)
    Sorry,don't have one!
    ...See More

Share your collection, then show the progress at the end of summer.

Q

Comments (6)
    Since you said collection and I [already have a post of individual plant progress[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/succulents-before-and-after-6-months-dsvw-vd~3545786), here's a photo of my Mesembs and bright light-loving succulents: And here are most my Crassulas and medium-sized succulents: Sadly couldn't get a good shot of the other half of my collection, mostly Haworthia. We'll see if I end up re-taking the above two photos in better light. =) Anyway, love seeing other people's collections and progress shots!
    ...See More

Show us a picture or two from your summer garden of 2017

Q

Comments (56)
    Roxana, yes I was...95% I’d say. It still pops up but much more manageable. I go around every couple of months in spring and summer to catch stragglers but it’s almost entirely gone from lawn and easy to pull if it pops up in the bed. it was creeping up from an adjoining ditch and I battled it unsuccessfully for 10 years! Oddly, it seems to only expand in one direction. So now I’ve cut it off from my yard the ditch is even doing better. It seems not to be able to expand backwards where it has already grown and maybe depleted soil. Just my unscientific observation. Lol It also doesn’t like lime so be diligent about liming your lawn as you try to get rid of it. Aerating the lawn annually also helps improve drainage. good luck!
    ...See More

OBF July. =Show your summer pictures

Q

Comments (50)
    Hope your gardening summer activies are coming are getting planned As I look over the flower s today the yarrow, fever few and bee balm have ended their first blooming. as the day gets cooler will take Clippers in hand to tidy up. Just watched A u tube on strawberry maintance .Have had them.planted for 10 years and never trimmed the runners. It is shady in the far back from the pine trees so may try the "still attached" potting method. If I find roots on runners will cut off and pot. This give me an idea to build a strawberry tower next year. My holding area has mums from last year that are growing. I still have roses in winter sowing pots mixed in my iris beds to hold over another year. Yesterday I cut green hibiscus stems to propagate ,Just for fun. Not a big haul yet from the vegetable garden yet.. Letting my lettuce go to seed to save and share.
    ...See More
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Ingrid, I'm glad you liked it, thanks... and I just know you've got plenty up your sleeve to show us...

Izzy... that's just gorgeous... what a lovely rose is ''BPR''... in fact your whole garden looks a dream...

• jacqueline9CA
    7 years ago

OK, here's one:

Rose on the left is Cl American Beauty. Kitty is Lizzy.

User thanked jacqueline9CA
  • User thanked MiGreenThumb (Z5b S.Michigan/Sunset 41) Elevation: 1091 feet
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Oh, lovely roses Steven, it's so nice to see an aspect of your garden that I don't think I've seen before.

Jackie, that's a great colour combination, just perfect...

7 years ago

My folder for summer 2016 is woefully small and most of the pictures have already been posted here. I'm not sure whether this one has. It's Aunt Margy's Rose again.

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Ingrid, I've not seen this before, thanks for flushing that one out.... dramatic landscape as ever, and your rose looks to have grown a bundle I must say...

• jacqueline9CA
    7 years ago

Here are my final two - I like the first one because it is so etherial. The second one is my favorite from last summer - sorry you have undoubtedly seen it before.

Jackie

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

oh yes, I remember the one above, it must be wonderful for anyone walking that path during such times... a quite beautiful garden with such an exuberance in roses... the first one I don't recall seeing before but thanks for sharing these again..

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    7 years ago

I loved seeing my first Tea roses ever in person. I think Madame Berkeley here.

User thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • portlandmysteryrose
    7 years ago

Marlorena, your Purple OGRs are breathtaking! I am unfamiliar with Gloire de Ducher and looked it up on HMF. I discovered more of your lovely photos on that site. Your caption mentioned that GdD had been healthy in your garden. This is slightly off topic, but could you let me know if GdD is still disease resistant for you and how the rebloom frequency compares with your Reine des Violettes (which is also gorgeous in your vase)? Thank so much! Great thread, by the way. I'm snowed in and enjoying the summer garden shots. :-) Carol

User thanked portlandmysteryrose
  • nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    7 years ago

Not a rose, but an image seared into my memory: a gigantic pyrocumulus cloud, miles away, that was produced by the huge Pioneer Fire that raged for months northeast of here. We could see it from our back yard. Diane

User thanked nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
  • portlandmysteryrose
    7 years ago

Wow, Diane! Formidable. Carol

• chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
    7 years ago

Good idea, especially considering the arctic blast we're getting. All very lovely and impressive. Here are a few from the garden that I was happy with...

...and one of my sweet cat Willy who we had to put to sleep this morning. Here he looks very content, snoozing away. Missing him dearly

-Chris

User thanked chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
  • portlandmysteryrose
    7 years ago

Chris, thank you for sharing your garden. It's beautiful! I'm so sorry that you lost Willie today. Losing furry members of the family is so hard. You have my deepest sympathy. Carol

• Ann9BNCalif
    7 years ago

Malorena - One of the favorite cars that visits a monthly car show my husband sponsors is this Mini Cooper. The owner brought it over from England and we all ooh and aah at its cuteness.

A Pom in her own radio controlled Ferrari attending an Italian car show.

A bouquet for a 90th birthday party in July.

Ann

User thanked Ann9BNCalif
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Ann, what a lovely selection of colourful roses in the vase there, this also brightens my day too. I haven't seen a Mini Cooper in a very long time, if at all actually, and oh, how I love that little dog... thanks so much for showing us these...

Chris, you have a wonderful garden but I'm so sorry to hear of your loss but I think it's great to share memories nonetheless...

Pete, your shed looks good enough to live in... I think it's terribly clever to be able to turn your hands to this sort of thing. Love the autumn colour too on that tree...

Diane, that's dramatic. I think I might have been a little scared at the time, to see something like that... I hope no damage was done to anyone's properties..

Sheila, another of your burgeoning family of Tea roses. I can imagine how excited your were, I would be too...

Carol, thanks for your comments about my roses...and I'm sorry you're snowed in. We may be too in the coming weeks..

You asked about 'Gloire de Ducher'. Well it's only a first year rose for me, so too early to say too much, but it was so healthy until after the first flush around mid summer when it did defoliate with some blackspot, it is prone to this I understand, but recovered from that and I got a couple of later blooms. Not as many as 'RdV' but I think this rose will catch up in time. I don't water roses usually, so I expect that might have been the reason for the defoliation, as it was very dry here for a while... It's the rose I'm probably looking forward to most next Spring...

..in fact, I can't wait, if I'm honest there...

• portlandmysteryrose
    7 years ago

Thank you, Marlorena! I'd love to hear more as GdD matures. Stay warm! Carol

User thanked portlandmysteryrose
  • Curdle 10a (Australia)
    7 years ago

I love that garden shed, Pete! It rivals Jackies fence as most enviable garden structure to drool over.

I dont have many "garden shots" but here's one from just outside the front door that made me happy- It needs a cute kitty tho

Pink tritonia, unknown iris from parents backyard, Eiffel tower rose, slightly rusty hollyhock and High Scent sweet pea. I like them all together but might have to take out Eiffel Tower- it looks pretty in bud, but wants to blow out and fry when it gets hot...

User thanked Curdle 10a (Australia)
    7 years ago

All the pictures are beautiful, each in its own way. This has been a wonderful thread. I'm on a short break from my job so can't say much. Chris, your photo of your sweet Willie made my heart ache since I've lost quite a few furry family members lately. The pain lessens but is never quite gone.

Diane, when I saw your photo I actually began to hyperventilate before I got myself back under control. Too many of those experiences and you're never quite the same. Fortunately it's raining now so no fire danger.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    7 years ago

So many beautiful memories here. I love all those garden shots.

I like to remember larkspur time--the month of June when the larkspur that re-seed themselves all over my gardens come into bloom again. This is when they were coming to the end of their bloom period--I had just planted the new ground cover roses around the bird bath.

Here's the tail-end of one large bed--at its brightest when the red Eutins are in bloom.

Another favorite time is when the white paniculata hydrangea is in bloom--contrasting wonderfully with the few hybrid teas I grow.

I am missing my gardens. Just grey skies around here. No snow even--I rather enjoy the snow.

Kate

User thanked dublinbay z6 (KS)
  • nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    7 years ago

love all of the pics..a summer guest at my birdbath..I NEVER noticed but is there a squirrel in the tree?..see a blurry spot?..wasn't aware of anything but the hawk when I took the pic..

User thanked nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
  • Curdle 10a (Australia)
    7 years ago

If it is a squirrel, I can understand why its moving so fast- probably spotted the hawk!

Your larkspur are lovely, Kate and they look good with the pink.

Not a garden shot- this was peak sweetpea harvest about a month and a half ago

sadly its time to rip out the vines now, but I have great plans for next year..

User thanked Curdle 10a (Australia)
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

oh those sweet peas, they're fabulous. I don't grow them so much now, but when I see what you've got there Curdle...I know I ought to do so..

nicholsworth... great shot of that Hawk. I see a few like that around here but never close enough...

Kate, your gardens are quite wonderful. I don't think I've seen any of those shots before...

• El Jardín de la Alegría en Madrid
    7 years ago

Tengo un clima de verano tan caliente que rosas florecen muy poco. Estas fotos son bastante primavera. Espero que te guste.

eljardindelaalegria2014's ideas · More Info

Spring Roses 2016 · More Info

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Me gustan estas fotos muy en realidad más de lo que puedo decir....

estupendo y muchas gracias.... por favor, muéstranos màs...

Or in other words... oh my, those are gorgeous.. thank you... Please show us some more...

7 years ago

Thank you very much for your kind words.

If you want to see more photos of my profile you can visit two or three ideabooks that I have in my profile.

Good weekend!! :)

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Oh and a good weekend to you too, and thank you for alerting us about your profile. I have just looked at that and see so many beautiful roses that you have, that are also familiar to most of us here too. I grow some of those Austin's you have amongst others. I also like your mixed borders with the autumn colours.

Here is a link to make things easier if anyone wants to see your profile

• arlene_82 (zone 6 OH)
    7 years ago

There's some absolutely gorgeous and vibrant photography in this thread. I'm a newbie to growing roses so mine are all very young and not nearly as impressive as those shown here. This is probably my favorite rose shot from the summer (really late spring). A 2nd year Crown Princess Margareta paired with a lone 1st year Rouge Cardinal clematis bloom on the left. There is also another clematis in this shot not currently in bloom. The clems and rose are planted several feet apart on opposite sides of the obelisk, where they meet.

No roses in this shot, but here is my corner of mostly annuals at peak color for the season:

User thanked arlene_82 (zone 6 OH)
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Quite splendid Arlene... thank you for showing us... I also have obelisks, as does member Cori Ann... so I appreciate the way you're growing your rose and clematis together there...

Your annuals are a wonderful concoction of colour and foliage...

7 years ago

Marlorena, ¡¡Gracias!! Estoy en amor con las rosas !! :) Pero mi tiempo no es propicio para las rosas. Rosas David Austin deben elegir las ubicaciones donde están protegidos del sol del mediodía. A pesar de esto, pasan el verano sin floración y hasta el otoño que no producen unas rosas de nuevo.

Me gusta para prolongar el interés del jardín por el crecimiento de arbustos y árboles con coloraciones otoñales.

Espero que entender lo que dice y al mismo tiempo hacer que me entienda. El traductor de Google ya sabe que no da buenos resultados. Pero con certeza lo hemos conseguido !! :)

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi El Jardin...,

Sí, estamos todos enamorados de las rosas aquí, tal vez demasiado. Hay otros miembros como tú que crecen rosas en caliente sol y tienen los mismos problemas. Para mí, no tengo suficiente sol, y sé que mis rosas quieren más.

También tengo la rosa 'Purple Skyliner' y estaba muy feliz de verlo en su jardín. Mi rosa es joven tambien...

Google translate es nuestro mejor amigo. Tu inglés es muy bueno, cualquiera que sea el método que uses..

[Yes, we are all in love with roses here, maybe too much. There are other members like you that grow roses in hot sun and have the same problems. For me, I do not have enough sun, and I know my roses want more.

I also have the rose 'Purple Skyliner' and I was very happy to see it in your garden. My rose is young too.

Google translate is our very best friend. Your English is very good, whichever method you are using.]

7 years ago

Marlorena. You seem expert in this Forum. That's why I dare to ask. :)

Todavía no sé muy bien cómo funciona este Foro. Abrí un "hilo" (llamado así?) Que le pregunta si cultivas cualquiera de los excursionistas de color rosa que me incluyo en mi orden de rosas desnudas.

No sé si pongo la pregunta en el lugar correcto. Por el momento nadie me ha contestado. Espero que si está mal colocado alguien me dirá y yo movería la pregunta a otro lugar más apropiado.

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

El Jardín..

Tu hilo en el foro de 'Roses' podría estar mejor colocado aquí. Las rosas que usted lista son rosas antiguas y creo que puede obtener más respuestas. Eso espero. El foro de "Rosas" es más apropiado para las rosas modernas, creo. Es correcto para poner el mismo hilo en ambos foros...

Por cierto, no soy un experto de ninguna manera y me siento halagado de que usted piensa así. Solo crezco unas rosas y las comparto con todo el mundo. Creo que todos hacemos eso aquí.

Hay rosarios expertos en este foro, pero yo no soy uno de ellos, pero me gusta hablar de rosas y un gran placer es verlos en los jardines de los demás. Muchas rosas son para climas cálidos que no puedo crecer bien aquí.

¿Dónde estás en España aproximadamente...

[Your thread on the 'Roses' forum might be better placed here. The roses you list are antique roses and I think you may get more replies. I hope so. The 'Roses' forum is more appropriate for modern roses I think. It is o.k to put the same thread on both forums.
    Incidentally, I am not an expert in any way and I am flattered that you think so. I just grow some roses and share with everyone. I think we all do that here. There are expert rosarians on this forum, but I am not one of them, but I do enjoy talking about roses and a great pleasure is seeing them in the gardens of others. Many roses are for warm climates that I cannot grow well here.
    Where in Spain are you approximately?]

aah... MADRID!... o.k....

7 years ago

Marlorena, thank you for supplying to link to Madrid's beautiful rose pictures. It would be wonderful if he/she could join us here. Many roses in what is obviously an exquisite garden. Your Spanish, by the way, is superb.

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes I hope so too Ingrid, although my linguistic abilities are down to Google. It's been a long time since I spoke Spanish...

• Lisa Adams
    7 years ago

Very early summer, as the grass isn't fried brown yet.

A lovely summer pic in Utah 8/16

Lots of blooms for cutting in early summer

I don't miss the heat, but I do miss the Dahlias to mix with roses in arrangements. Lisa

User thanked Lisa Adams
  • daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
    7 years ago

Not my garden, but plants growing in my neighbourhood.

Ebenus creticus. A small shrub indigenous to Crete. Grows in profusion nearby.

Other wild flowers nearby.

Back in my garden, a butterfly which likes to be almost colour coordinated.

and a pretty red spider.

Daisy

User thanked daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
  • Lisa Adams
    7 years ago

Nice, Daisy. I love seeing different natives and different gardens in other countries. Plus, I get good ideas from those of you in dry Mediterranean climates. If they do well there, they often do well here.

Trish, I love your sweet peas! I grow them from late fall, until about May. After that, it gets too hot for them. They make such awesome cut flowers, and the scent!!!!! Mine are about a foot long now. Can't wait. Lisa

• titian1 10b Sydney
    7 years ago

Hi Lisa, I'm afraid they're not my sweet peas, they're Curdles - who's in Melbourne, I think. I haven't tried growing them for years, but I love them.

Daisy, I did enjoy seeing some of the countryside around you. Thanks. Ages since I've seen photos of your beautiful garden.

• Lisa Adams
    7 years ago

Oops! Sorry about that. CURDLE, I love your sweet peas! So many great pics here!

Ingrid, I haven't forgotten about emailing you back. I'm just a bit slow and busy with Christmas prep. I'm such a procrastinator!! Not ready for Christmas. Lisa