SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
javiwa

Gap between countertop and cabinets: how to shim

javiwa
7 years ago

I mini-hijacked ainelane's original thread about her quartzite countertop issues, and I thought I'd start my own. This is more for Joe, oldryder and any other pros who'll comment, but I'm also hoping the information helps other homeowners in the same situation.

The area in question (from l-r: 23" base cabinet, 36" sink base, DW):

There is a 1/8" gap between stone and cabinets, extending from left cabinet to just before the DW. The installers insert two shims (shown in yellow) ~ 12" apart, then skipped the length above the sink cabinet.

Close-up of the gap:

Joe recommended that I insert shims ASAP. I can't find a local source for proper shims (tapered) without having to purchase a contractor's pack of 100 (Houston area: if someone can steer me, I'd appreciate it!).

Joe has commented previously that using ripped laminate would also suffice. The Lowe's KD took pity on my plight and generously gave me a small handful of Formica laminate samples that I might stack together:

I fiddled w/ inserting these, but it was like Goldilocks and the Three Bears: two shims weren't enough to snugly fill the gap, and three shims wouldn't fit (too thick). How to make it just right?

Further advice appreciated -- thanks.

Comments (2)