SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ainelane

Countertop overhang uneven. Is this normal?

7 years ago

Hi everyone,

Counters have been installed. On the island the overhang is not equal on either side. On one side, it's 1.25". On the other side, it's 5/8".

When I told fabricators about it, they said "oh, do you want it even?". I would have thought that was a given. Then the installer called me to tell me he can fix it if I REALLY want, but that it's normal and is supposed to be like that.

This sounds unlikely to me. But I wanted to make sure I'm not being overly demanding making them fix it, if it really is normal?

Is fixing it even possible without damaging the stone?

Thank you very much for any insight.

Comments (34)

• 7 years ago

He's full of bull stuff. They should be even on both sides and make sure to stop the check until he corrects it.

ainelane thanked cpartist
  • 7 years ago

Typical overhang without seating on overlay cabinets is 1.5".

ainelane thanked smm5525
  • Related Discussions

Underside of overhanging countertop question

Q

Comments (26)
    @hallettco @Joseph Corlett, LLC suggested in order to hide an unsightly underside of a quartz counter overhang (in my case i have storage cabinets underneath and I can see what looks like several large orange rust stains) to seal and paint it. since it is not the finished top, but rough and unfinished do you need the sealer he recommended to get any paint to adhere?
    ...See More

question re farmhouse sink and countertop overhang

Q

Comments (20)
    "Can the quartz be popped off and sink opening recut?" No need to pop off the quartz; simply pull the sink. Pull the cabinet front if you have to. You don't want any negative reveal (countertop overhangs the sink) as it creates a difficult-to-clean crud ledge and leaves the bottom edge of the stone succeptible to chipping. Have your fabricator cut the cutout large enough to make a positive reveal (sink flange slightly exposed). No crud ledge, no exposed bottom stone edge, and a perfect maintainence-free joint between the stone bottom and the sink flange:
    ...See More

Should a quartz counter top with overhang sit flush on the cabinets

Q

Comments (9)
    @HU-915279554 your question is ”over my pay grade” & my reply was to let you know my experience. I wouldn’t be comfortable with your support set up without another professional opinion. Suggest you add topics of ”Design Dilemma” & “Remodeling” to your posting forums so this question lists there & attracts attention from Pros like Joseph Corlett for reply. ETA The bars used under your counter look like mine & it does look like they're sitting in a notch out but it's not deep enough.
    ...See More

help …uneven counter seam…

Q

Comments (1)
    I’m no expert, but i would be majorly unhappy with that seam.
    ...See More
  • 7 years ago

Ah, yeah I want it even. When will it be fixed? On (his dime).

ainelane thanked practigal
  • 7 years ago

Will it mess up your sink cut out?

ainelane thanked cluelessincolorado
  • PRO
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Are the cabinets installed square? If not, your fabricator was forced to choose between making an out-of-square top to get the overhangs right, or make a square top with differing overhangs.

Pull a tape from one corner of the island diagonally to the opposite corner, then do the same on the opposite side. If the top is square, the dimensions must be the same. If the top is pulled, do the same for the cabinets.

If the cabinets and top are square and it's just a matter of repositioning the island to split the difference, that doesn't risk the stone much.

ainelane thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • 7 years ago

Thank you everyone.

Joseph Corlett - I did ask you suggested. Slab is out of square by 1/8". Possibly within acceptable limits? But, I don't think the cabinets are the problem because the cabinet installers said they checked everything was square, plum, dead level etc. They seem to do great work.

The slab seems to have just been plopped down without being checked.

CluelessinColorado - great point about the sink cutout. That is off right now. Meaning the reveal is not equal all around the sink, which I think is because they put the slab down wrong.

I'm very concerned as to what's involved in fixing this. Either damage to the slab or to the cabinets. Also, I think I won't end up with proper overhangs all around, which means my pulls will stick out :(

smm5525 - I won't be ending up with 1.5" all around.

I think they really screwed this up and this stone cost a fortune. I'm about to start week 12 of this reno and I'm trying to keep it together.

• 7 years ago

Which side is off? Is it drawer side or a side with finished panels?

ainelane thanked smm5525
  • 7 years ago

smm5525 - the overhangs are off on all 4 sides of the island.

Overhangs:

Drawer side where I'll be working: 5/8".

Opposite side (finished panels): a bit more than 1.25"

Short side near prep sink (finished panels): almost 3/4"

Short side opposite (drawers): 1"

I don't understand what's going on. But, it seems impossible to end up with proper overhangs all around, doesn't it?

• 7 years ago

ainelane: Unless you specifically requested otherwise (i.e., in writing, hopefully), overhangs should be even all the way around the island. However, even if the installer shifts the stone, you'd end up with only ~ 7/8 - 1" overhang on those two sides. If you signed off on a wider overhang (e.g., 1.5" all the way around), the larger issue may actually be that the slab was not cut in the proper dimension(s).

Despite agreeing to 1-1/4" overhang in our kitchen, at one point we ended up with a range of 1" - 1-3/4". No kidding: in one six-foot span, overhang varied from 1-3/8" on one end to 1-3/4" on the other. Installer never even noticed it. I had to point this out, and we endured dust storm #2 as they re-cut some of the countertop on-site. As it stands, we have anywhere from 1" - 1-3/8" overhangs. But we are wrestling with much larger issues with this company, so have chosen to let this one go.

I truly wish you the best of luck.

ainelane thanked javiwa
  • 7 years ago

Installer was just here. It was an upsetting experience for me. He repeated about 100 times "this is normal". He said the overhangs are supposed to be uneven. Yes, that's right. Uneven is what they are going for.

We both had measuring tapes and even though, clear as day, I could see the numbers were different from one end of the run to the other, he kept saying "It's exact, it's normal, this is the same". I pointed out that it wasn't and he would say rudley, "excuse me, look at the tape, it's the same". Only to then realize it wasn't the same and try to downplay it.

I feel very upset and actually a bit shaken, because he was so aggressively insisting that there is absolutely nothing wrong and this is all normal.

Last night on the phone, his reasoning for the overhangs being unequal was that they like to give more overhang on the sink side. Maybe that makes sense, except the sink side is where I have the least overhang. So, today when he saw that, he changed his excuse and now he's telling me the side with the drawers is supposed to have the least overhang. They set that in place, and then whatever is leftover, just overhangs the back of the island. However much that might be. This sounds nuts to me.

As jawiva suggested, I think the real problem is the whole thing was cut too small.

And no, the overhangs were not specified in the contract because they told me it's standard 1.5" from the cabinet face. Which I don't actually have. But, that's fine because it's all normal.

I've got a list of about 6 problems with this company, and none of them are solved. I'm so upset. I have other questions to ask you all. But I will have to wait until I calm down. It's very unpleasant being treated like this.

• 7 years ago

What stone is it? Did u pick out the slab? Did they use a remnant? Ugh, I feel awful for you. The part where the drawers are is supposed to protect the finish, that's the part you'll be using. Are u measuring from cabinet face or door/drawer? I think it needs to be about 1.5'from cabinet face

ainelane thanked smm5525
  • 7 years ago

smm5525 - it's Sea Pearl Quartzite. I bought two full slabs (they told me they were larger than normal) and I selected them myself and attended templating (although that's too good a word for the process I went thru).

Here are the overhangs, from the cabinet face:

Does this seem normal, as I'm being told?

Thank you all for your continued help and support.

• 7 years ago

That's close, I dont know what's normal. Does it look off in person?

ainelane thanked smm5525
  • 7 years ago

smm5525- for example, when I look at the short end of the island, farthest from the prep sink, the overhangs on either side differ by 3/4". This is noticeable.

But, that's why I'm asking here, because if this is within normal tolerances, then that's fine. It varies by 3/4". Maybe that's fine? I'm really confused by this because the installer keeps calling out different measurements.

Then there's the fact that the prep sink is not evenly within the sink cutout. Don't know how to solve that problem.

• 7 years ago

I hope someone with knowledge and perhaps a pro chimes in. Joe, any thoughts on the drawing?

• 7 years ago

Sorry if this isn't helpful, and maybe I misread or am viewing your pic incorrectly, but your OP states the island overhangs are 1.25" on one side and 5/8" on the other. But I don't see these two measurements in your diagram. On the prep sink end, the two overhangs look even at 1-5/8". On the far end (away from your prep sink), you show 2-1/8" and 1-3/8" (not that that's ok, IMO).

ainelane thanked javiwa
  • 7 years ago

I would stop payment on the check and demand its fixed end of story nothing more to say

ainelane thanked virginia lynn
  • PRO
    7 years ago

The top is positioned off a bit. If the 1 5/8" point were pulled, it would have to shrink the 2 1/8". It's off, but without knowing what the cabinets are doing, the top fabricator can't be blamed.

ainelane thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • 7 years ago

I'd say not normal but unfortunately common? I'm sorry this guy sounds like such a jerk. Our counters have uneven overhangs on the side ends by 3/4" but since both long stretches had cutouts that were right we just let it be. I'm pretty sure no one but me will ever notice this. One short stretch did have a 2.5 inch overhang over the cabs that I had to ask them to fix which they did. Not quite sure how they didn't notice that one. I'm sorry you are going through this and hope you find a satisfactory outcome but I promise you that anyone else is just going to be fixated on the gorgeous quartzite.

ainelane thanked lharpie
  • 7 years ago

Seems based on your drawing that if the top right point were held in the place, as a pivot point, and the bottom left point was pulled down, it would even out most of the overhangs. Then the whole thing would need to be shifted a bit to the right.

The overhang on the top run is shrinking left to right, while the bottom run is growing. While the top seems to measure square, it doesn't look like it was installed square to the cabinets.

Disclaimer: I know nothing of countertop installation, just speaking to the math on the diagram.

ainelane thanked Kathryn P
  • 7 years ago

Hi, OP here.
    Yes, my numbers were different from my initial post to my drawing because in one I was measuring from door face and in drawing I was measuring from cabinet box. Sorry for the confusion. Either way, the overhangs differ by 3/4".

The lead installer came by last night and he agreed that the overhangs are uneven but also that the slab is not sitting squarely on the island. But, we can't pivot it or shift it without screwing up the sink opening (even more than it's already screwed up). So, the island will have to stay like this.

I'm fighting other issues with them, so I guess I'm going to have to let this one go.

Thanks again everyone.

• 7 years ago

I do not understand. Why do they just not get you another stone for your island so its not perfect?

• 7 years ago

Getting another stone for the island is a very big deal. I searched for months for a slab that I liked. So, getting another one isn't an option I would want to explore.

Update is that the island slab is coming off tomorrow, cabinets are being checked for level and then hopefully they put the slab back on properly. I will barely sleep tonight with worry that the stone will break during this process!

Fingers crossed it all goes okay.

• 7 years ago

How did it go?

ainelane thanked smm5525
  • 7 years ago

So glad it was corrected!

ainelane thanked smm5525
  • 7 years ago

Glad that it worked out for you. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the rest of your problems are corrected.

Maire

ainelane thanked maire_cate
  • 7 years ago

Make sure you get lien releases from these sob's.

ainelane thanked cpartist
  • PRO
    7 years ago

" I can't wait till I never have to deal with them again."

I don't understand companies that compound their losses. Sure, you may screw up your overhangs, you may even have an unreasonable customer, but since you're going to lose money anyway, why not at least walk away with a recommendation as to how easy it was to work with you? Idiots.

• 7 years ago

Some people just can't help themselves Joe........

• 3 years ago

I recently had my countertops installed and I think I have too much overhang. Most areas have a 2 inch overhang ...with the largest been 2-1/8 to 2-1/4". I noticed it immediately. My contractor says it is standard depth, but when look it up all I can find says 1 to 1.25" is standard. Another thing that makes it more obvious to me is that my cabinets are inset. So the doors sit flush with the face frame.

I had the opportunity to go with a company that was very meticulous, but were going to take a little longer, and were slightly more expensive...now I regret changing course. It's probably not something I will be able to unsee. I also don't love the curve in the corner. After reading this post I realize I was not presented with a template for approval. My contractor has been dealing directly with the fabricator and installer. Not sure what to do or what can be done.

It's difficult to get an appreciation of it on this picture. (sigh)

• PRO
    3 years ago

Rip the edges off, re-profile, and re-polish. The tops don't have to be pulled and you can get rid of the excessively rounded inside corner. It's an all-day job for one guy.

• 2 years ago

@ainelane was there any damage to your caninets when they took off the countertop? similar issue with a quartzite countertop on a L shaped space and so stressed out :(

• 2 years ago

Ainelane: I am also happy you got your issue fixed❣️I just measured my countertop overhang areas, and they are all the same.