SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smm5525

Final layout: prep sink, island size, etc. About to sign off!

smm5525
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I've agonized over the need for a prep sink (barrier island separating fridge and sink) and with some structural changes I will have a large enough island to accommodate one. Here is our final layout. I can change island configuration to have seating behind clean up sink instead of where it is now and add prep sink across from fridge.

I originally had a Kohler Stages 45" sink in plan as cleanup/prep area facing our pool. I've come to terms with my barrier island ( we love island vs peninsula) and couldn't change location of clean up sink (slab foundation). So the plan was to dump items on island, walk around and prep.

Am I crazy for not doing a prep sink. It's now or never and I don't want to regret it. The barrier island never bothered me but so many people love prep sinks and I've never had one. So I need to make a decision now! We will have to pay for custom flooring to move island and drilling into our slab. Cost is in budget but I also like the idea of a solid island too.

Any other changes you would make? Location of cooktop and clean up sink can't change. I can change fridge and double ovens but the fridge has to be on it's current wall. No other room for it.

Should we increase length of island? The opening on bottom wall isn't used much. It's to the formal dining room/great room. Family room is connected to kitchen on the right. We aren't making any other structural changes, framing is done

Comments (4)