SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jdpyn2

Barefoot Contessa Lemon Cake

John 9a
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I picked some lemons yesterday and plan to make a couple of loaves of the Barefoot Contessa Lemon Cake, I hope Contessa at least wears socks since it's going to be a cool morning on the tile floors in the kitchen.

While I wait for the butter and eggs to come to room temperature, I'll post a photo of the lemons and the recipe.

Ponderosas from my seed-grown trees

Here is the recipe

INGREDIENTS

for the cake

1 1/2 sticks of butter at room temperature

2 1/2 cups granulated sugar (I like Zulka)

4 extra-large eggs at room temperature

1/3 cup grated lemon zest

3 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

1 tsp salt

1 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice

3/4 cup buttermilk at room temp

1 tsp vanilla extract

for the glaze (optional)

2 cups confectioners sugar

3 1/2 Tbs fresh squeezed lemon juice

DIRECTIONS

Make the cake

1. Preheat oven to 330F. Grease two 8 1/2 X 4 1/2 X 2 1/2 inch loaf pans.

2. Cream butter and 2 cups sugar (leaving 1/2 cup for later) in the bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, for about 5 minutes or until light and fluffy. With the mixer on medium speed, add the eggs, one at a time, and add the lemon zest.

3. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. In another bowl, combine 1/2 cup lemon juice, the buttermilk, and vanilla. Add the flour and buttermilk mixtures alternately to the batter, beginning and ending with the flour. Divide batter evenly between the pans, smooth the tops, and bake for one hour, or until toothpick comes out clean.

4. Combine 1/2 cup granulated sugar with 1/2 cup lemon juice in a small saucepan and cook over low heat until the sugar dissolves to make a syrup. When the cakes are done, let them cool for ten minutes, then invert them onto a rack set over a tray. Turn the cakes right-side up and spoon the lemon syrup generously over the mounded tops, allowing the syrup to dribble down the sides. Let the cakes cool completely.

Make the glaze (optional)

5. Combine the confectioners sugar and lemon juice in a bowl, mixing with a whisk until smooth. Pour over the top of the cakes and allow the glaze to dribble down the sides.

My Comments:

The above recipe increased the lemon juice in the cake batter by 1/4 cup from the original recipe to keep the cake moist.

I make my buttermilk by adding 1 tsp lemon juice to 3/4 cup milk and letting it curdle while the butter and eggs come to room temp.

Since there are two different glazes and since I like the tartness of the syrup that is allowed to soak into the cake, I have never done the second glaze I have marked as optional.

The loaves can be wrapped in saran wrap and frozen. When ready to eat, remove from the freezer and thaw still in the saran wrap.

Comments (26)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor