SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynn2112

Questions for Everyone

Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

The rose season has come or will come to an end for many, and the time to contemplate or plan for the next full growing season is beginning. I have two questions...

The rose I must purchase is Mary Washington. I have coveted this rose since seeing it for the first time at the Huntington, and Pat_bama's images of M.W... Oh my!! I also need to plant a large rose near Emmanuella de Mouchy. I have also pre-purchased 4 additional Bolero and a Yves Piaget that will be delivered next Spring. Dark Desire, Plum Perfect, and Ascot ( due to Diane/Nanadoll ... of course) will be arriving next week... yea!!!!.

My future gardening goals are to purchase and install 2 arbors, a bridge, a small raised planter, multiple trellises and to have professionals install a gazebo. I also need to do a better job of keeping up with my gardening chores. Our gardeners pull weeds etc. but the roses are my domain and I have definitely been pretty lax. I also need to add more perennials to fill in the edge of borders and spaces between roses etc. Now that I have written this ... maybe my plan is for the next two years.....

1. Are there any roses on your "must purchase" list and if so, please share?

2. What are your near future gardening goals?

Comments (41)

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    7 years ago

I have Florentina coming so I need Ann Arbor or trellis. I'm putting in a new raised bed so with the Florentina will be out of rosenheim and rock and roll that will be one new bed. Another new bed I have ordered Olivia Rose Austin Claire Austin and a Beverly and Savannah and elegant Fairy Tail. Those are ordered but I also would like Twilight Zone and munstead wood oh and I also ordered I can't think of the name of it Dawn Sunrise I don't know something from Palatine that's a orange and yellow looks awfully pretty. So I do have my work cut out for me .But isnt it fun

Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    7 years ago

Love your idea for this thread Desertgarden.

My goal was begun two years ago and should be largely finished this coming season. I really needed a less work intensive garden. As I have gotten older it was painfully easy to see I wasn't able to keep up with things. The most labor intensive plants just had to go. The large grasses that I loved and most of my daylilies ect. Filled in with very disease resistant roses from Kordes, Easy Elegance, a few Austins and a few others. The final stage which I dread is giving up gardening in the extra lot. A lot of too large for my yard roses out there. I would miss having them.

My must have roses for this year are Desdemona, The Ancient Mariner, Princess Ann Crazy Love and Foxy Lady.

Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country thanked Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
  • Related Discussions

That Age Old Question 'Where is Everyone?'

Q

Comments (23)
    As I write this, snow is falling outside my window and I consider the outdoor activities of the season  shoveling (a rather distant relation to my beloved digging, at least it gets me outside) and xcountry skiing -- as mere placeholders til gardening season starts. I dip into NE Gardening on GW about every other day in the cold months. I constantly admire the cheerleaders of posting for trying to get us slugs to respond. I do read blogs, mostly garden blogs, but a few every day, and I have been doing this for years. I have favorites, and I try dipping into links to these. Some become keepers, others one would never want to visit again. A blog is an experience of one individual  when you read blogs consistently, you get to know the person (gardener) and his/her garden and style. Photos are also an integral part of blogs. I have given some thought to why I read the blogs I do, and it really comes down to how good the writing is, and mostly because I share some of the same sensibilities as the blogger. Also reading blogs allows you to follow the continuity of something. One thing that I have noticed is that all the blogs I read are in cold climates more like our own -- there is a big garden blogging community in TX, but I havenÂt been tempted to follow anyone there, or in California either. But on GW, one feels like a contributor, not an audience. And itÂs fun to see how all of us different people respond to the same topic. Sharing and gathering Info, yes, but giving commentary and experience too. Sometimes I just want to know what others more or less around here have to say about a particular thing. We are a community too IÂm not on FB (and never will be) nor on Twitter  I personally think this is more of a generational thing. At Xmas also, I saw my 20-something daughter discreetly check her Blackberry periodically. I read the New York Times every day but in my department at work it is only us fifty-somethings who actually read the paper version. My assistant, like my daughter, both read it online. I think the internet is so big that there is room for discussion forums and social networking and blogs and research sources of all kinds. And then there is browsing for shopping. I adore going thru my catalogs, but I have found unique websites of very specialized nurseries whose catalogs I would never have received in the mail  actually they probably donÂt mail catalogs out. And now all we have to do is wait til awful winter is over, and the ground calls to us.
    ...See More

One result and two questions! Something for everyone!

Q

Comments (2)
    Stringing up thin-fleshed Peppers like Cayenne is a good method to dry. Jalapenos are thick-fleshed and will most likely rot unless you're in a really dry place with lots of sun/heat. Your best bet is probably to get a food dehydrator and dry them in that one. Mine is a cheap $35 or so Costco dehydrator I bought at Menards. Works just fine for those tasks. Takes quite a few hours though. Also, split the pepper lengthwise before drying. It takes forever if you don't! Even split Habs. take 7-8 hours. They have to be perfectly dry. I like the dehydrator, because the peppers really retain their color. My Hab. spice is wonderfully orange. I have never tried to grow picantes.
    ...See More

Guitar question...Hey everyone!

Q

Comments (6)
    Gee, you all know how to make a girl feel loved!!! I haven't been doin much with mosaics but I been stock piling plates and such. It has been soo dry here gardening has pretty much been at a dead stop. But we were blessed with several days of rain. So I am going to get all the transplanting done and then close gardening for the winter then back to breakin plates. I am still researching the tumbler idea..and some nippers and we're back in business. I will definately take pictures. Thanks for all the warm comments.
    ...See More

A question for everyone

Q

Comments (6)
    Its widely recognised that to many trees are removed across Britain due to concerns about damage to property, often there is no issue but the owner of the tree removes it incase they get sued by a neighbour etc at a later date which has a huge impact on our environment. If "shrinkable clay" is such an issue across the UK modern homes should be built with suitable foundations but lets face it they still let builders build on flood plains so what hope do we have. May I point out in my previous post I stated "A gardener acting with care with tree selection should have nothing to worry about when gardening in a modern home garden." Thats the important point- acting with care on tree selection. The average new build does not have a garden large enough for a "big tree" your not likely to plant a Sycamore or a weeping willow in your new postage stamp garden hence the average small garden tree should not pose a problem.
    ...See More
  • Ken (N.E.GA.mts) 7a/b
    7 years ago

My garden is a multi purpose garden for me. Each rose has it's own special purpose. I enjoy giving bouquets. So, all of my roses MUST have a stem long enough to cut with foliage and yet when I cut, I don't hurt my bush. If the bloom doesn't have a lot of fragrance, it better be one of those "WOW!!" blooms. It has taken me a while to find OGR's that have a decent vase life. And I enjoy my mini's as much as I enjoy my HT's. I'm learning the growth habits of several David Austin roses that meet my stem and bloom requirements. All of that being said, here are my "must have" roses to finish out my garden to the limit I've put on myself.

Dublin (2)---HT. (I've been wanting this rose for years)

Randy Scott (1)---This will make #4. Like I said, I like bouquets of roses, especially of the same variety.

Marlon's Day(1)---Same as above.

Munstead Wood(1)---I like Munstead Wood. This will make #2.

The Prince(2)---I grew this rose in FL. on fortuniana root stock. For me, a must have.

Magic Show (1)--- (miniature) I've seen this rose several times and I like the bloom, stem and Foliage.

ALSO------Two weekends in the spring and two weekends during the fall, I take what blooms I have in my garden to local rose shows. I have always been competitive in almost everything I do. This way I can "compete" against other rose growers that enjoy this part of our rose hobby.

Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country thanked Ken (N.E.GA.mts) 7a/b
  • Lisa Adams
    7 years ago

I just received two of my "must have" roses yesterday. Evelyn and Lady Ashe. Fragrancenutter's pictures of her Evelyn and Sonia Rykiel made them "must haves." I still need SR. I'm glad to have gotten Evelyn and Lady Ashe. Lisa

Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country thanked Lisa Adams
  • Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA
    7 years ago

Although I garden in the North, zone 5/6, I am blessed with a fruit cellar which permits me to purchase container grown roses any time of the year. Those that are purchased from late fall until spring are put into 'cold storage,' in the fruit cellar until planting time outside.

The advantage to this system is that I can purchase container grown roses I want online as soon as they are available from the nurseries, at any time of the year. An actively growing rose I receive during the winter just stops growing in the fruit cellar, kept at between 34-40 degrees F., and just sits there suspended in growth until spring.

I avoid having to order early before they are sold out and hope they come at planting time, a hectic, error ridden time for most online nurseries. Of course, purchasing bare root roses are not compatible with my fruit cellar storage system.

I already have purchased all my new roses for next year. Miranda Lambert went into the ground in early October. Any day now she will get a generous amount of protection for the winter along with the other roses needing same. Except for two liners from Heirloom Roses, which are due in very soon, all the rest are presently in the fruit cellar.

New roses for 2017 are:

1 Madame Issac Periere

1 Scepter'd Isle

1 Miranda Lambert

1 Firefighter

2 Beverly (already have 1)

1 Midnight Blue

1 Apricot Candy

1 Bolero

1 Flawless

6 more Sweet Arlene (have 1 already...I like her, a lot)

2 Lavender Crystal

1 Cafe' Ole'

Something to keep an old man busy.

Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country thanked Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA
  • Lisa Adams
    7 years ago

Nice list Moses! I tried to get Laveder Crystal from Burlington a few weeks ago, but she's out until spring. I looked for Cafe Ole' a while back and it was also out. I kinda forgot about it until now. I are love my Bolero. I'm sure you will too.

i forgot, the one I really must have and can't find is Annie Laurie McDowell. I'm so surprised Burlington isn't carrying it anymore:( Lisa

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Kristine- I saw the most beautiful images of Munstead Wood on G.F. and people raved about its performance. I must admit that after purchasing M.W., within a season, the hype was understood. I now have 3. If you like the deep burgundy colors, it is a must have. The petals often look like they are edged in velvet.

Patty- I surely do not envy having the chore of removing large mature grasses. We had them at our last home and decided to streamline the entry area by removing them. I witnessed the chore that exists removing those plants. Nice list.

Ken- Nice rose list.. would love to see more images of your roses.

Lisa- I received my Sonia Rykiel from R.U. earlier this year. It was a healthy plant upon arrival, with a beautiful bloom, and it has gone downhill from there. I think it needs a home outside of the pot it has been in for months. Hope you get one. Evelyn has been on my list for three years, and I bought Abraham Darby instead; a plant I swore would never have a place in my garden again.... go figure. Evelyn is a beauty!!!! Hopefully someone will have ALM soon... it is a great rose that should be widely available.

Moses- A fruit cellar... nice!!!! Great selection of roses too!!

7 years ago

Thank you Desertgarden for the review of Munstead Wood

• pink rose(9b, FL )
    7 years ago

Desertgarden

Does your Munstead wood get pink in full sun ?

Original Author
    7 years ago

Below are images showing Munstead Wood's appearance (full sun), and during the Summer.

• pink rose(9b, FL )
    7 years ago

Desertgarden

Thanks ! it looks dark pink/fuschia ? I just planted Twilight Zone last month and that is how it looks like in my FL sun . I wanted the dark purple color.

7 years ago

Dear Lisa Adams,

Thanks for your response on my new roses.

Heirloom roses has Lavender Crystal right now but Cafe' Ole' is out of stock now. Long Ago Roses may have Annie Laurie McDowell. They do not ship to CA, but do ship to PA where I live.

If there are no illegalities involved you could have Long Ago Roses ship ALMcD to me and I will be glad to check it for any watering it may need, then send it on to you. I think it will take the trip very well in spite of being in transit longer than usual, because of the cold weather at this end at this time of year.

I'll let you do the verification of the information I provided which I believe is correct, and let me know if you want me to follow through for you as I offered to do.

There is a question of the availability ALMcD from Long Ago Roses. Please send them an inquiry at:

roses@longagoroses.com

• kittymoonbeam
    7 years ago

I'm going to finish my brick walks and search out drought tolerant bulbs. Next year I'm going to finish that retaining wall and try to keep the pomegranate from shading the roses too much. It's going to take willpower.......especially when the red fruits look so pretty...but I am resolved.

Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country thanked kittymoonbeam
  • Lisa Adams
    7 years ago

That is so nice of you Moses! Thank you! I have a feeling there are legalities involved here. The reason Long ago Roses doesn't ship to CA is due to the need for special permits. I will do some googling to see if it is feasible. I think at the very least, it would need to be bare rooted. California won't allow the soil to come in unless the nursery has special permits and follows a certain protocol. I will check it out, and I am most impressed by your willingness to help. Thank you! Lisa

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    7 years ago

My goals for 2017 are to change my very wide mixed borders into double borders, each with a back border of roses and a front border of perennials. I will be removing my poorly performing plants. In roses, that will be Guy de Maupassant, First Crush, Ann's Beautiful Daughter, possibly Falstaff and the 7 Bolero's that occasionally look and smell fabulous, but usually look terrible. I wish I could find a white cupped rose that would do well in my climate! I've just removed the two ancient Knockouts that came with the house, and moved Madame Isaac Pereire into that prime spot. I expect to be planting 3 more Munsteads, since it does so well (although vying for 2 of those spots would be Ascot), 2 more Abe's, maybe a Huntington rose and maybe a Scepter'd Isle.

My Munstead turns fuchsia in the heat as well.

Lynn, I hope Abe does well for you. Although it has its issues, mine does better than my Evelyn's which are essentially one bloomers so far, often with malformed flowers and not much fragrance in their third year. Well watered, Abe has done much better in production and fragrance in my garden.

Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country thanked noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    7 years ago

Dear Lisa,

Long Ago Roses does not ship west of the Rockies: Alaska, Arizona, California, Hawaii, Idaho, Oregon, Nevada, Utah, and Washington. It may be due to cost, distance, and time in transit rather than troublesome permits. If California's restrictions are due to soil borne pathogens, I could easily remove the soil and disinfect the then bare root rose. If we need a permit for just one+ rose, and the cost is reasonable that will be doable.

Plan B, I could purchase one for me, pot grow it next year, and send you cuttings for you to root in July. I suppose that is legal to do.

I do not think ALMcD is winter hardy here. That would present no more problem for me than some of my HTs that must be heavily protected for winter, but a climber, which is what ALMcD grows to be, would mean dying down severely every winter. My Westerlands died to the ground a couple years ago, and it was a milder winter that year!

I know how it is when you really want a special rose and it's just out of reach. Where there's a will, there's a way. ALMcD will come your way, if not by me by some other means.

7 years ago

Dear Noseometer,

Earth Angel may be a good cupped white rose for you to consider, if you haven't yet. Mine, although only first year in the garden, is very impressive. No BS, extreme vigor, potently fragrant blooms, VERY cupped (some balling up, though), likes to bloom, but flowers are not large, on the small side of medium, 3 1/2" maximum. I think Earth Angel will be 4' X 4' easily.

Then there's the white HT Sugar Moon. Very tall 6+' and narrow, is very easy for SM to reach in no time. The extremely fragrant flowers, although not cupped, are heavily petaled with a camelia like form. The full open bloom has lovely well organized center petals with a bright orange boss. It is beautiful in all stages of bloom, right to petal drop. This is a minority trait in HTs.

• seil zone 6b MI
    7 years ago

No must haves this year because my goal is to downsize things. My health had really slowed me down now and I just can't keep up with things any more. So something has to give. I don't think I'll be replacing any winter losses for a while so the number will drop down to something more manageable. I'd like to get all but a few of the remaining pots planted out in the beds. Lifting the pots in and out of storage has become harder and harder to do but in the ground I don't do any winterizing so they're much easier to care for. Getting old ain't no fun!

Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country thanked seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Snowbird could also be a Bolero replacement. It remains fairly compact and is very fragrant too.

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.262345

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.159360

7 years ago

Thanks Moses! I think my big hesitation with Earth Angel is that First Crush has done so poorly for me, and it is also a Kordes rose. Still might be worth a try though since every rose is different. HMF comments are that it is not great in the heat. Sugar Moon looked great in the display garden, and got my sister's vote for favorite fragrance, but I think it is too big/tall for the spot. Good ideas though. Thanks, I may just have to try one or a few and find out.

Lynn, thanks for the suggestion of Snowbird. Funny, but I was just thinking of that one. I'm not sure I like the flower form, but all comments are that it is a great rose and photos never do the real thing justice.

I've been thinking of Claire Austin, but comments are that it opens yellow before turning white (yech), and Windermere (photos show that it is not a particularly graceful rose, and comments are that it is not very tolerant of heat). Still, people seem to like them well enough. Then there's Moondance (too tall), Iceberg (yellow leaves that I can't seem to correct), White Licorice (too yellow), Pure Perfume (good in another part of the garden, but flower form not what I like), Constellation (too yellow), Fabulous! (boring flower form and not much fragrance). Maybe I'm just too picky. Maybe I'll have to redesign that part of the garden.

Original Author
    7 years ago

Understandable Noseometer. Snowbird's form is very different from Bolero's. It has an "old fashioned" bloom form with less than 60 petals, versus the petal packed " old fashioned" blooms of Bolero. It does make a tidy, heat tolerant rose bush that is shorter in stature. The fragrance is outstanding!! Claire Austin was on my list too but removed for the exact reason and sentiment you expressed.

• titian1 10b Sydney
    7 years ago

noseometer, have you considered Summer memories? It starts off the palest apricot in the centre at times, though, which may put you off, but it is wonderfully healthy and floriferous for me.

It does get pretty large, though. Mine's about 5' high by 10' wide after 3 years.

Lynn, I wish I had roses on a 'must have' list. Well I do, in my imagination, but room, energy and mobility don't permit. If I could, I'd have Westerland, Amber Flower Carpet and Rugspin. Well, I might just think about it!

Like seil and Patty W., I'm making things easier for myself. I'll be happy if I can just keep up with what needs doing.

Trish

Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country thanked titian1 10b Sydney
    7 years ago

I don't know if you're looking for a hybrid tea rose but Pope John Paul II is pure white with a wonderful fragrance and mine only got to be about 4 feet tall. With pruning it could be much shorter. Unfortunately I moved into a home that had an existing Pope John Paul II and it was very diseased so that I had to remove it but I may try another one

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    7 years ago

I found myself buying Evelyn (Diane inspired) and Abe Darby from Heirloom, and Etoile de Lyon and Arcadia Louisiana Tea from rosepetals. I'm also considering a couple from ARE like another Bubble Bath and second Cramoisi Superieur, but can't order from them except by phone, for Oregon, during business hours. I also am considering a couple from DA like Olivia Rose Austin or Huntington Rose. I had thought I'd give it a year or so to evaluate overall and assess, but I guess not.

Lynn, Why the Abe Darby never again then there you go? This will be my first.

7 years ago

Sheila, how many roses do you have?

7 years ago

I am also getting an Olivia Rose, whoo hoo

• modestgoddess z6 OH
    7 years ago

what about Polar Express, it's Kordes but in their sunbelt collection so supposedly heat tolerant

http://newflora.com/product/polar-express-rose/

http://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.43668.1&tab=1

• User
    7 years ago

I have added two new raised beds and partly filled them this fall with roses from KandM Roses: One bed has a combination of Moonstone and PJPII; The other is partially filled with 2 new Affirm and one Black Magic. I plan to add 2 Pretty Lady roses in the Spring. I have also gone to town with climbers. I just planted several climbers this fall including: Zepherine Drouhin, Peggy Martin, Don Juan, and even Dr. Huey. I discovered Dr. Huey when one of my hybrid teas reverted before I realized it. While Dr. Huey only blooms once, I really think the blooms are pretty and I had a place on an old fence where I could put him rather than throw him away. Anyone else still grow this rose? I have plans for spring as well. I have ordered two Eden climbers for a new trellis that I have one the side of my outdoor deck, and have ordered several Alnwick roses for a small hedge. I have also ordered a Graham Thomas, a Munstead Wood, a Chicago Peace, 2 Crescendos and a Randy Scott, all for the spring. I am soooo looking forward to getting them all planted. OH! and my number ONE goal is to be on the lookout for those AWFUL Chili Thrips that invaded my garden this fall and destroyed my fall bloom. Who would have ever thought that they would have made there way as far north as Birmingham, Alabama, but they did! OH how I HATE them. That is about it! Looking forward to hearing what others are doing! Happy Dreaming, Elizabeth

Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country thanked User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Approximately 12- 13 or so years ago, I grew Abraham Darby, JtO, Golden Celebration, Crown Princess Margareta, Sharifa Asma and Heritage. Abraham Darby was so dreadful, that I vehemently pronounced " it would never have a place in my garden". Well, good old Abe will be here in January, Sheila. Still learning lessons about using that "never"....

• Dave5bWY
    7 years ago

Desertgarden - I hope Abe does well for you this time around. That is a lot of work going on in your garden but sounds exciting!

Most roses on my must have list have good disease resistance such as Florentina (received this fall) and Molineux and Boscobel (spring). My biggest chore this spring will be installing drip irrigation in the garden and in my deck - way too many hours spent hand watering this year.

Noseometer - I'm sorry Bolero isn't working out in your climate. Claire Austin is not a perfect rose but has some great attributes such a superb disease resistance, wonderful fragrance, and good rebloom. It's not the most graceful looking plant - dense but grows lean and tall - but does okay w/ pruning a couple of times during summer. It does not make a good cut flower, although in cool weather I can sometimes get 2-3 days out of a cut bloom). Yellow? - Maybe the slightest bit and a bit more so in the heat.

One white I'll be trying this spring is Desdemona. Marlorena has posted some beautiful pics of this one. Here's one from the web that made me want to try it:

Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country thanked Dave5bWY
    7 years ago

Lynn, How was Abe dreadful? Health? Bush? Blooms?

Kristine, I am not sure. Upwards of 100 I figure. I've got to peter out on the ordering and weed more. I'll have to count and report later, maybe.

Original Author
    7 years ago

Sheila -

Bush.. what bush???... I wished. A.D. barely grew, produced one flower, and burned to a crisp during May. It was sad....

At that point, I had only gardened in my native home of Coastal Southern Calif., and while roses had been part of my previous garden, I had never grown them to the extent that I was attempting to, in this desert. Hoping that the experience I have acquired gardening here will make a difference this time around....

7 years ago

That makes it so much clearer. I was envisioning a monster that was too large. I still have no idea what some plants will do, so this helps. I'm not sure why my two Hollywood Junipers look wimpy and too yellowish. I guess it may be too much water. The Italian cypress look great here. I have a started tiny Reve d' Or rose from ARE ten months ago I thought was in an iffy spot and it has exploded with healthy growth. OTOH a Star of the Republic sat there for the ten months with a few blooms but the plant is just sitting there. I think we all have mysterious winners and losers. Thank you.

Original Author
    7 years ago

So sorry for the lack of specificity, Sheila

On multiple threads, I have communicated my opinion/assessment regarding A.D in "my garden". I know A.D. performs well for so many, and try to avoid bashing a rose when I think my opinion is kindof outside of the norm. Its poor performance is likely a direct result of my growing conditions.

I suspect that A.D. will be a beautiful addition to your garden.

7 years ago

Wow, that Desdemona really is beautiful. Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone. Sorry Lynn, for the semi- hijack on your thread. To get back on track, if that is what Desdemona looks like, it will be a must-have and something else will get the heave-ho. I've already ordered Earth Angel.

Original Author
    7 years ago

Oh, no problem, Noseometer...it is all roses!! In fact, Desdemona caught my attention a while back and slipped out of my mind. This time it will go on my research list... So thank you both.

• titian1 10b Sydney
    7 years ago

dizzylizzy, I have a Dr Huey (was Westerland). Like you, I was surprised how pretty the blooms are, and it's sooooo healthy - a rarity in my garden, so it's staying for now.

Dave, Desdemona sure is a beauty.

• towandaaz
    7 years ago

Lynn, your improvements sound lovely. I hope you’ll share
    pictures as things are installed. You’re really digging your whites, huh? Mary
    Washington? Four Boleros? Lol

I’ve
    also gone back to my “drawing board” now that winter’s here. Since the
    landscape redesign at my place won’t occur before the beginning of next growing
    season, I’ve been thinking about what to do. I currently have a temporary
    fenced-in area with potted roses.

I have a 10 x 20 ft. shade cover for those
    scorching Arizona summer afternoons – even though I’m in the high desert, it
    still boils here. My current plan is to
    enlarge the fenced-in area to include a second 10 x 20 shade cover to provide
    more room to move around and protect from the late afternoon sun. I also want to create a “climbing wall”
    likely made up of several posts and wire fencing for my “baby” climbers. Since
    most of my climbers are still young I think I can get away with them in pots
    tied up against this wall for the next year. Hopefully.

I’d
    really like to try a fortuniana root stock bush to see if production can come
    close to Fragrancenutter’s, but I’m not sure how well it would do in a pot or
    if it would hold up in my climate (hot, dry summers, but it does occasionally
    freeze here).

One
    of the first things I’ve been thinking is to limit new roses coming in to
    approximately five or so (oh, this sounds so responsible, doesn’t it? But
    likely not happening, as I just ordered four today from HR for delivery next March –
    Quietness, Crown Princess Margareta, Princess Alexandra of Kent and Heart O’Gold).
    Mainly, I’d like to focus on the roses I have and look forward to them maturing
    into their second and third years. Like Ken, I really enjoy cutting roses for
    bouquets for my home and to give as gifts. I suppose that’ll partly change
    after the landscape project is planned and completed, but for now I have a
    “cutting garden.”

Natalie

Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country thanked towandaaz
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Your gardening space seems quite lovely towandaz. I like the manner in which you have neatly integrated roses in pots, stones and other items into your current setting. Last year, when this home was completed, and it was moving time, I brought 60 roses from our previous residence with us. My yard was a blank slate. All of those roses in pots looked like.. well.. a mess is the best way to describe it. I wish it would have been neat and presentable like yours, because the stress associated with deciding upon a garden design would have lessened.

I actually have only few white roses (relatively)... I think there are 8-10 varieties of white roses in my garden. Mme. Joseph Schwartz, Iceberg, White Pet, Marie Pavie and Bolero are the only white roses that have been repeated. I added them sparingly as a buffer for all of the pink, purple, deep red, lavender or they work to tone down the crayola crayon box sections of the garden.

Princess Alexandria of Kent can have interesting looking blooms... pretty...but...

These were both on the bush during October. I would not have placed it so close to my lavender/mauve bed had I known there would be salmon colored blooms.

Reading the GW rose threads.. good luck with your limit:)

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    7 years ago

I am really enjoying hearing all the new plans for the upcoming season ! I am already so excited to see what happens next year !

I have some roses on order that I am excited to try . I am thinking of keeping them in pots for the season. Usually I plant right away in the ground but I think I'd like some patio roses . My big plans are to finish the beds around my pergola . 2 seasons ago I had them going so nicely but I was pregnant and had to use a mowing company and things got hit and mowed down and then died from neglect . I just couldn't be in the heat without being sick and most of them died . So now I'm starting over . My other bed project is a bird feeding garden . I've had feeders on shepherd hooks by a window and I need to create a garden there for them . I'm very excited about that , my daughter loves to see the birds out the windows !

On a boring note I will be having lots of junk trees and brush removed but will be planting wildflowers in its place ! It will open up our lake view and still give wildlife lots of benefits.

Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca