SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrs_b_in_wy

Catastrophic paint failure & how to replicate?

mrs.b_in_wy
7 years ago

Hello all,
Yesterday, my husband and I removed the blue masking tape from the hallway ceiling as our "lunch" project. Uh, oh! As we peeled the tape away, the ceiling paint appeared to be "bubbling" or "blistering." When we got to the last corner (of course), a tear in the paint occurred. When I pulled at the torn paint, I was able to cleanly peel a big sheet of paint off. At first, I thought the new paint hadn't adhered to the probably original (1950s) paint. A closer look revealed we were down to bare plaster. Though this isn't what I intended to happen, I'm not altogether unhappy about it. Yes, I'll have to peel the ceiling off, but we'll be starting fresh. There's old hi-gloss paint in several rooms that I've been worried about painting over, and now I wonder if we could purposely initiate another catastrophic paint failure?
Here's the "recipe" for the hallway ceiling paint disaster:
There was some peeling paint where water had come in after a big hail storm in 2011 (and possibly another time decades before). The paint person at Home Depot recommended we prime with Zinsser Peel Stop.
2 (thick) coats of Zinsser Peel Stop (applied in September).
2 coats of Behr Premium Plus Ultra, stain-blocking paint & primer in one (applied in September). There weren’t any actual stains on the ceiling. This paint didn't provide even coverage [even though we were painting white over white], so we asked Sherwin Williams for advice.
1 coat Sherwin Williams Multi-Purpose Latex Primer (applied 11-5-16).
2 coats Sherwin Williams Emerald Interior Acrylic Latex (applied 11-6-16 & 11-7-16).
It seems like a lot of paint, even with a few weeks between the initial coats in September, followed by the early November applications. I even recall voicing some concern about it all falling off…
Has anyone seen a case when the new paint broke the bond between the original paint/primer and the surface (plaster, in this case)? Do you suppose the Peel Stop adhered really well to the old paint, and the weight and moisture of the other layers did the rest? (The weather itself was warm and dry the entire period.) I’d really like to duplicate the accident and be able to remove rooms of old paint in big, rubbery sheets; but I’d like to do it without applying seven coats of new paint. BTW, there’s lead in some of the old paints.
Thoughts anyone? I can take pictures and post them if that would be helpful.
Thank you in advance!

Comments (10)