SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
danielinthelionsden

Landscape Plan Foiled by Buried Utlities

So I decided to do my due diligence and have the underground utilities marked before planning trees in the yard. Naturally the electric is right under the place where I was going to put a maple and the ATT line is right under the Catalpa location. So I'm trying to figure out how much I have to move the trees away from the lines. Seems like there's a lot of debate on this topic but I'd be interested in some opinions on this specific case.

So here's the original plan (Up is North):

As you can see in these pics, the sticks I used to mark my planting spots are almost on top of the utilities. Here's the Catalpa mark (stick right beside flag):

Here's the maple mark (a foot or two over from the line):

Here's a couple shots of the whole space.

*Note that all the existing trees you see in this general area are dead or nearly dead.

There's 10 ft from the fence to the ATT, 7ft from ATT to the driveway, and 22ft between ATT and the electric. These are the supply lines to the house, not the primary lines through the neighborhood. So, the ATT line may be irrelevant. ATT is trying to phase out the old copper infrastructure and we're not using it anyway. But I definitely don't want a maple on top of the electric line.

I'm thinking I could either move the Catalapa back 5ft so that it will be 5ft from fence and 5ft from the ATT. But that's going to limit it's usefulness to shade the drive and make it a pain to mow between the fence and the tree. If I move it the other way that puts in really close to the driveway. I'm not sure if Catalapa has the damaging roots like maple but it's a big tree to have that close to the asphalt.

With the maple, it seems like the best plan to to put it between ATT and the electric. That makes it less useful for shade that way but the marked position is already 15 ft from the curve of the driveway and I was already thinking of moving it farther away. So I don't really want to put it closer.

Any thoughts?

Comments (18)