SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
knorthtexas75

best for trellis -Cl Pinkie, Cornelia, Le Vesuve, Cl Clotilde Soupert?

knorthtexas75
7 years ago

Hello All,

Of these 4, which would you think would be best for a trellis? Anyone have any experience training these? Trellis is about 7 feet. Total space for the bush to grow is 10 ft wide by 7 feet tall... but spilling over the top of the fence that it is growing on is not a problem (is actually welcomed). South facing, 5 hours direct sun, zone 8 north texas.

Cl Pinkie, Cornelia, Le Vesuve or Cl. Clotilde Soupert.

Thank you!!

Comments (12)

• Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy
    7 years ago

I vote for climbing pinkie... although I'm biased because it's the only one of your group that I have grown. It's so easy to work with! Minimal thorns. It will cascade over the other side of the fence like you want. Always in bloom. If you wanted... You could put some wire up with the trellis and it would keep on going lengthwise too. It's just a pleasure to train. I'm not sure why I didn't add it to my current garden!

• portlandmysteryrose
    7 years ago

Another vote for Climbing Pinkie. Carol

• Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
    7 years ago

'Cornelia' might work--I don't know in your conditions--and is a beautiful and fragrant rose with scent that carries on the air. My neighbors have one espaliered on a northwest-facing wall, where it's about 6' x 12'. It has lax growth. I haven't grown or seen the others.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Le Vesuve has vicious spines in addition to its wayward growth and for that reason I would advise against any method that requires handling it. I've had Cl. Pinkie and thought it was adorable. Cornelia is also a pretty rose and would lend itself to this treatment.

• Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
    7 years ago

A random thought: I wonder if 'Le Vesuve' would change its behavior if it were given a support? I have been amazed at how 'Archduke Joseph' turned into a major climber when I tied it into the persimmon above it and forced it to head upward toward the sun.

• boncrow66
    7 years ago

I only grow Cl. pinkie from your list and it is very easy to train and will cascade over the fence. Mine has a light scent that occasionally will waft if the weather is right.

• bluegirl_gw
    7 years ago

I've only grown Cornelia & cl. Pinkie of your list, but here's another vote for Pinkie. In both zones I've had it in TX--the humid coastal prairie & here in the hill country--it's a happy, ever blooming fool. Individual flowers are little nothings, but it has tons of them in huge cascades, flush after flush.

This is in no-spray gardens with very indifferent care. Here, it's growing in extremely poor soil, partly shaded & very rarely watered. But it's as boisterous as it was down south with 3 times the rain. Great rose. Heck, you can even pick it up at HEB in February--that's where I got my current cl. Pinkie.

• sabalmatt_tejas
    7 years ago

I vote for climbing pinkie. It's an indestructible blooming machine in Texas. I grew Le Vesuve in Austin and it loved the heat & was everblooming (8'x10'), but the thorns were viscious blood letters.

• knorthtexas75
    Original Author
    7 years ago

thank you all so much! I think I will put Pinkie in the ground tomorrow then. Of course I just went to HD to get the 7 foot wooden trellis, and the two they had in stock were broken. Ugh.

• totoro z7b Md
    7 years ago

Lowes has different styles of trellises. The wooden one did not hold up but the metal Asian inspired one did. I have many of those and they look good in singles or 2 next to each other.

• Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy
    7 years ago

Well I just got myself a climbing pinkie for this garden too! Since ARE has a free shipping sale going on now. Going to put it next to the driveway and try to train it to do this....

(Not my photo! Photo from http://sfvroses.org/JanetsGarden/target0.html)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County