SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
klunker

Native plants that expand on their own

klunker
7 years ago

I have planted 3 different spots, a small area using seed, another by plants and a 3rd area by just plugging in plants in a existing "wild" area. This was done about 20 years ago. I did no maintenance on the seeded area and the plants that I plugged in to the existing wild area. The planted area I would burn it off every spring. These areas are about 100 yards from each other. I have noticed that in my limited experience a couple of plants are ones that spread by themselves and do well.

I can't remember everything I planted and I don't even have a clue what was in the seed mix. I got it from someone as a gift. The end result of the seeded area maybe was not a result of what was in the seed mix but what was around and seeded on its own in the cleared soil. I cleared the soil by covering with sheet metal roof panels left laying on the ground for over a year.

So here is my take of plants do well in east central WI.

1) Cup plant. I planted maybe 5 specimens in the groomed planting, they became one of the dominate plants in the area and they spread to take over other areas in the yard and along the driveway. I have hundreds of them 20 years later.

2) Compass plant, I planted 5 in the groomed planting and about the same in the "wild" field. They slowly multiplied in the groomed planting to maybe 12 dozen plants but they spread much more in the wild area. Once they are established they are hard to kill. I have tried converting the planting back to yard. And 2 years later compass plants are still coming up every year after being mowed over all summer long. I have transplanted smaller ones and one large one. They can be transplanted.

3) Big Blue stem. I planted about 5 in the wild area. They spread slowly and now there are a couple dozen of them. They have shown up in the seeded area after maybe 10 years.

4) Yellow cone flowers. They are slow spreaders. But they manage to find a foothold in wild areas and spread.

5) Pale Purple Cone flower. They do well once once they get established, but I only had 1 maybe 2 new plants pop up in over 20 years.

6) Culvers Root. Another one like the Pale Purple Cone Flower.

7) Blue False Indigo. Same as Pale P. C. F. The plants become huge and dominate but they don't spread.

8) Prairie Dock. Very similar to P.P.C.F., but they slowly spread. I may have a couple of dozen in both the seeded and the wild area altogether.

9) Ox-eye Sunflower. Interestingly enough the ones in the planted area spread slightly then the aphids and the downy mildew ended up erradicting them from that area. There a couple in the seeded area that are Ok, they seem to spread slowly.

10) Rattlesnake Master. I planted only one in the wild area. It got established and its still there. No spreading and its not a dominate specimen.

There are more species I didn't mention. But I'd like to know what others have found to be more "aggressive" native plants that will spread out into other areas on their own.

One other thing is I know that if someone has a good sized chunk of old field or neglected pasture maybe it will never be a intact native prairie but if you plug in a few plants here and there some plants will spread and over time some of the natives will get a foothold and at least give you a bigger variety of plants that need no care. I'm doing this very thing in a hay field right now. It is very gratifying for me to see even after one year the plants I transplanted into it are doing great. I'm sure some will spread.

Comments (8)

Sponsored