SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sammers510

Info on Logees Red Finger Lime

Sammers510
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I have been looking into adding more citrus to my collection and the AFL sounds like a perfect choice for me unique and used for fancy pantsy food purposes (I went to culinary school and cooked for a few years) So anything in my collection has got to be tasty. I assumed due to my google searches that the green variety produces white/green vesicles and the red variety produced pink/red vesicles but upon closer inspection of a photo I noticed that that wasn't always the case. I like the idea of red/pink interior since its not widely seen. Logees is the only nursery that I found that can ship the red variety to me to I shot them an email asking this:

Hello, I was interested in ordering a Red Finger Lime from you but I had a question about the fruit. The skin of the fruit is "red" are the vesicles inside red/pink as well or are they green/clear? I've seen both and wanted to know for sure before ordering.

And the response was this:

Hello Samantha,

Here is the horticulturists response to the question regarding the inside of the fruit.

Green/ clear. Although under some growing condition they do turn pink. We don't see that in greenhouse conditions in the NE

I don't know if anyone else knew that this was the case or if you care but since I assumed I thought maybe others did as well. So I am thinking I won't be ordering a red one at this time for the slight chance of pink interior that I would have to wait years for fruit anyway. I had previously called and asked what the age of the trees were since the site only lists them at 4 in pots and the woman I talked to told me they are generally anywhere from 6 months-1 year old, that the never get any older options in stock and that they usually fruit around 3-4 years of age. Unless anyone has any info on what conditions they need to produce different colored vesicles? I also asked four winds about their green variety and they said they had no idea if/when they would be getting any choice or premium sizes in stock. I had about given up on the chances of finding a more mature AFL but One Green World sells 2 year old plants (green variety) and there Nursery is about 45 mins+ away. I know people have had pest problems with their stock but since I can drive out there and inspect the plant first I am less worried. I am happy to put in the time for my plants I just want to try and shorten that as much as possible because I am impatient. ;)

If anyone figures out where to get a variety with pink/red interior let me know!

Comments (6)