SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
ladygibbs

FINAL Master Suite Design

ladygibbs
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hello again, I'm back looking for more help with a master suite design. Hopefully for the last time! lol. Contractor is set to start in the next couple months.

Here is a blank canvas of our addition. The red is our existing house. Our front door is south and faces the driveway/road. The west has the best views.

Must haves in the design:

• Bedroom with large window facing west
  • Walk-in closet (doesn't have to be huge)
  • Bathroom
  • Shower with a minimum size of 42" x 72"
  • Two person bathtub with west window and room for built in shelving on at least one side

If we have room for a small closet for the bedroom to the east that would be awesome as well. Alternatively we are open to cutting into that bedroom to give more room to the design.

Thank you!

Comments (50)

• cpartist
    4 years ago

can you link to the other versions we came up with?

• cpartist
    4 years ago

Also one thing you probably don't want is lots of windows facing west. In summer it will really heat up the bedroom

• Related Discussions

x post: Master suite-Laundry Room Layout Help.new build

Q

Comments (6)
    bump - any thoughts? This is a new build - I don't think the bath is very efficient - too many doors. I am at a loss at how to reconfigure it. Musts: 2 36" vanities, 3x5 shower, linen closet, closet that is able to hold hanging + drawers (no dresser in bedroom) - access to laundry room from master bath or closet. We do not need a separate WC. Thank you.
    ...See More

Help with Master Suite Layout

Q

Comments (47)
    Final Plans - have incorporated most suggestions that made sense. -Back middle bathroom has tub in front, door moved to left to leave room for towel rack or hooks. -master shower widened to full 4 feet X 5'10" with head on back wall to allow for possible doorless shower. - front right bedroom closet squared off. - all kids bedroom closets now have slider doors to allow for full mirrors (have them now and work well). - worked out the pocket door on the master toilet room - it fits okay - am going with double hung windows in front of house, but casements on sides and back. Casements are smaller for the same egress requirements and allow for more wall space in bedrooms Still some small cleanup on the plans, but pulled the trigger on the construction drawings. thanks to everyone for all the assistance. Don't think I would be at this point without all the interaction and advice.
    ...See More

Which Master Suite Design?

Q

Comments (4)
    Well, since I don't know that I can tell you what will work best for you, I will just comment on things I notice about each, and hope that helps. The open shower in His bath might be cold, but if that is a concern it could easily be done as a larger shower with a door in the same space. Vanities in H&H seem smaller, so if you like lots of counter space, this may be an issue. And an extra toilet to clean. In the traditional the doors to toilet and shower will need to open out, rather than in, so they may bump into each other. Could you swap the tub and shower (and turn the top vanity 90degrees)? I guess then the window is a problem. Can you put both shower and toilet room on the bed wall and both vanities on the bottom wall?
    ...See More

Trying to rework my master suite hallway

Q

Comments (81)
    This thread has devolved into analysis paralysis. You have a wonderful plan and C is the obvious choice. Is it perfect? No, but no plan is. Does it meet your needs. Yes, and then some. I think the venting over the grill is no big deal. Yes, you might need to maintain the vent, keeping lint down to a minimum, but that's not a bad thing. Also, make sure the hallway is wide enough to pull out the washer/dryer for maintenance. You should have enough room to pull one of the machines out completely and room for a person to get to the back. That probably means you need a 4ft wide hallway. Also, make sure your hoses are long enough! We have front loaders with a countertop and had too short hoses. It was a major pain getting behind the machines. Ours pull out very easily. Oh, one more thing. We have emergency shut off valves for the water and the gas in an upper cabinet above the machines. We've never had to use them but you never know.
    ...See More
  • ladygibbs
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here is the previous plan you gave me cpartist. Thank you so much for inputting your time. (Ps. I'm so happy you are finally getting to start your build!!) All the other designs were for different layout sizes, but we've finally settled on 18' x 26'.

We've actually nixed needing the mechanical room now, so that saves some space.

• ladygibbs
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This gives me a rather large closet, plus everything on my wish list. Is it weird to have the tub back in the corner like that though? There is still over 3' of tub area to climb into.

• cpartist
    4 years ago

If you have an outside wall on the south side, I'd put your larger window there because of what I alluded to above.

Here I did just that with small windows on either side of the bed so not too much heat enters from the west.

I also got rid of the mechanical and moved the toilet to that spot. This gives you a larger vanity. You can put a makeup table in between the two sinks or you can add more storage.

• cpartist
    4 years ago

This gives me a rather large closet, plus everything on my wish list. Is it weird to have the tub back in the corner like that though? There is still over 3' of tub area to climb into.

Yes we had a tub like that in our last place and it made it awkward climbing in and out.

Additionally, why should your bathroom get the best light and/or cross breezes with the corner position?

Thirdly, if you or your spouse are on different sleep/wake schedules, that is a sure fire method of waking one another up because of the two doors into the bedroom. Ask me how I know?

And there is nothing more awkward than walking into a bathroom needing to use the toilet and having to walk around the door to use the toilet. Again, I know this because of the dysfunctional condo we're living in now.

• ladygibbs
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I am still sold on the west windows. We have a south facing window in our current bedroom and I hate it. We live out in the country, and that is the only side of the house that faces road, neighbors, etc. I don't like the privacy issues it causes, so we have a closed curtain all the time, and it simply defeats the purpose of having a large window. In my design I am envisioning making built-ins and a window seat in the bedroom.

Ugh. I was worried about the tub being a problem. I'll have to stew on that a little more.

I reason I put the bathroom on the corner is because then there is more space in between our bedroom, and the other downstairs bedroom and living room. Sound is a real problem now. All our guests can hear every word spoken in our bedroom. I guess having the closet at the bottom would help? To be honest, I don't like hall ways much. But that is something I could get over.

Husband and I have the exact same schedule. So that's not a problem.

I can see the door being a problem. Would it better to flip the door to hinge the other way, or perhaps a pocket door? (Door would probably be open most of the time)

THANK YOU for keeping it real, and thinking of things I certainly wouldn't. I truly appreciate it.

• ladygibbs
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hmm. I will have to show husband your plan and see what he thinks. It seems very well thought out, and covers everything.

• weedyacres
    4 years ago

I prefer your design to cp's because there's no wasted space of a hallway (and you score a bigger closet as a result!).

If you swap the tub with the shower you'll eliminate/minimize the awkward tub entry issue.

The door could swing into the bedroom, or you could put a pocket or barn door on it to eliminate the toilet interference issue.

• ladygibbs
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here is a sort of mix between our two designs. Is 4' 4" unbearably shallow for a closet if I don't hang clothes in the back? Maybe just have some 12" shelves? In my picture I am showing how we could cut a couple feet into the other bedroom. Giving myself more closet space, with just a couple posts. That would deepen the closet to 6' 8".

• Naf_Naf
    4 years ago

lady,

Your option is ok (third pic) but there is an issue.

The total dimension is supposed to be 26'.

If you add the dimensions shown on your third picture and the wall thickness, you will have a 1'-10 1/2" wide stairs.

• ladygibbs
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I did have a wrong figure, but not that much off. 6" outter walls. Stairs interior 3' 8". Bedroom was incorrectly labeled and is actually 12'. Of course you will loose a little bit to drywall... What am I missing?

• Naf_Naf
    4 years ago

Lady, did you decide what you are going to do? let me know if you want to see a different version. The dimensions on your last drawing are also off.

• ladygibbs
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Please Naf_Naf. I'd love to see some more suggestions!

• ladygibbs
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We are getting close to building and I really need to decide on a floor plan so windows can be ordered. You guys have been so helpful getting me this far, and I need a final push.

Here is another design using CPartist's Hallway design.

Then the same only swapped room locations. About 6" less of closet space, but a LOT larger bedroom.

Thank you so much!

• cpartist
    4 years ago

I don't like your second plan. You're giving more importance to your bathroom than your bedroom. With the first one you can have your window seat AND two windows on either side of the bed which is great for more light and ventilation.

What I don't like about how the first bath is designed is that there wasted space and the toilet is up against the bedroom wall. Ugh.

How about doing a bathroom more like this? I would probably increase the width of the bathroom by 3" which would give you 3'9" between tub/shower and sink vanities and would give you 4' between your bed and your dresser, assuming your dresser is a standard 21" deep.

This would also give you some narrow shelving for books, or shoes or whatever in your hallway.

Notice too I flipped the door openings on the bathroom and on the door to the suite.

ladygibbs thanked cpartist
  • emilyam819
    4 years ago

I'd go with the big bedroom, but all of your bathrooms need work. Try putting the shower on one end, opposite the tub on the other end.

• ladygibbs
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Cpartist, I'm unsure why you think the bathroom is more important in plan #2? The bedroom is much bigger in that plan. The only thing it is lacking is the extra windows. Which that is facing the road/driveway anyway, so it's not a huge issue to me. Right now our south facing bedroom has no privacy and the windows are always blacked out.

I worry about the bedroom being too small in plan #1. While your plan looks much more smooth it removes my two most important wants. A tub underneath a large window facing west, and my built ins. :/

Ugh. This plan is driving me crazy. The space is just too tight fit all my wants in.

• cpartist
    4 years ago

The way I put it you can sit in the tub and look out the window.

How large a bedroom do you need? Do you spend time in your bedroom other than sleeping?

How big is the tub you're planning on? The tub you are showing in the plan looks enormous. We had a large tub in our last place and it took forever to fill up and was unwieldy if one person wanted to use it. Great for 2, not for 1.

As for the toilet stuck between the shower and bath in both of your layouts...I just don't see it. Especially if your shower is a glass shower. Yuck, looking down on the toilet? Or sitting in the tub looking at the toilet?

• Naf_Naf
    4 years ago

Lady,

I decided not to post my sketch as it did not meet all your requirements (I had no room for the built in shelving by the tub).

• Stinky Muffin
    4 years ago

Ladygibbs -

The frequent posters will pick apart absolutely everything posted here, which may be how it should be.

However, given the two options you proposed, #2 is the clear winner. The first one has too much wasted space dedicated to unnecessary hallways.

ladygibbs thanked Stinky Muffin
  • ladygibbs
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Cpartist I don't spend a ton of time in there. But I just hate to downsize smaller than what I am currently using. A 14' x 14'. But it is an option.

We want an enormous, luxurious for 2 tub. We have a single tub currently, and we hate it. This would be for special occasions only, not an everyday tub. The window at the end on your design would work.

The toilet is a problem. We would probably do a half wall on the shower, but I'm not sure if it would help.

Naf_Naf please go ahead and post your sketch. I know I sound picky but I really do appreciate everyone's ideas. It helps me think outside my very narrow box.

• bobbyboob
    4 years ago

cpartist -

No need to say "this is wonderful" or give posters a "pat on their backs." People obviously post here to get constructive advice. However, after much back & forth previously, it is OK to simply say "Of the two final options, I prefer #1."

There is no need to beat a dead horse. You keep pushing the idea of the bedroom in the corner with windows on two sides. ladygibbs layouts clearly show windows on only one side and says she doesn't want windows looking out on the road/driveway.

We get it...in an ideal world, every room would have windows on 2/3/4 walls and a toilet would never be against a bedroom wall.

In this instance, I'd prefer not to have windows looking out onto a roadway, making my bedroom noisier and less private.

And who cares if a toilet is against a bedroom wall? Moving the toilet 3' across the bath is not going to have any measurable impact on your quality of life. If the shared wall is insulated, the toilet will be not be any noisier where it is.

• cpartist
    4 years ago

Actually having a toilet against the bedroom wall will make a difference. If either you or your better half needs to use the toilet in the middle of the night and you are not a heavy sleeper, you will hear it flushing. Even with good insulation. See? Sometimes we bring up something because it makes good sense

• bobbyboob
    4 years ago

cpartist -

I don't get your logic.

What makes you think a toilet on an insulated shared bedroom wall will be noisy, but the same toilet located a few feet away would be silent?

Why would you be able to hear it flushing in one location, but not an arms length further away?

• cpartist
    4 years ago

Because pipes in walls make noise and no amount of insulation will negate that.

• bobbyboob
    4 years ago

"pipes in walls make noise and no amount of insulation will negate that"

This is absolutely WRONG.

A properly installed & insulated 1/2" residential water line is not going to make enough noise to wake up someone sleeping 12' away on the other side of the room.

Strap/secure the pipe so no water hammer noise, wrap with foam pipe insulation, insulate the wall - done.

• Pinebaron
    4 years ago

Because pipes in walls make noise and no amount of insulation will negate that. That would only be a result of very thin walls, poor design/layout and construction.

• ladygibbs
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I know I am going to sound crazy, but I am sick of windows. lol. My house has around 30 windows, and there isn't a place I can go that doesn't have windows on 3 sides, and no privacy. We even took a window out of our current bedroom, because it makes furniture placement hard to have no solid walls.

I'm not a fan of having to streak from my current bathroom to my bedroom which is across the house in front of multiple windows that are all facing my driveway. Everyone can see everything in my house when knocking on my door.

Having a large west window in the bedroom is going to heat things up in the summer. But perhaps some curtains or blinds would help that? That is what I did in my dining room which faces west. It gets extremely hot if I don't close the curtain, but it is the old single pane wavy glass.

• ladygibbs
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Our toilet plumbing will be coming out of the floor or very low wall. So having it on the wall against the bedroom doesn't bother me at all. My water pipes don't make noise anyway, just the sewer whooshing under the floor. But we will insulate well.

• lakeviewgirl
    4 years ago

Are you OK with having your master closet not directly connected to bathroom ? Asking because it usually is a personal preference. If you are Ok with it then plan # 1 works, I would make sure the hallway between the closet and bathroom is at least 4' - since it is master bedroom, you don't want a narrow hallway. Only thing that bothers me a bit, is that, after taking shower if you go to closet to grab clothes or get dressed, you will need to ensure the main door is closed, unless it does not bother you :). Or, if you are someone who gets dressed in the bathroom then it does not matter.

• ladygibbs
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I would prefer the closet off the bathroom but it's not a deal breaker. I like the #1 plan, it's just hard for me to give up floor space for a hallway. Which IMO hallways are a waste of space. But I know they are sometimes necessary.

• bry911
    4 years ago

Number 2, is the winner, no contest.

• cpartist
    4 years ago

I think Martha's first version is the best one yet. Her second version isn't bad either!

• marthaelena
    4 years ago

Thank you Cpartist!

I dashed an optional door between vanity area and shower/toilet but it is hard to see.

Are you a painter? What kind of art? Do you have a web page?

• cpartist
    4 years ago

Martha, I messaged you. (I'm a colored pencil artist.)

• marthaelena
    4 years ago

Thank you

• ladygibbs
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Marthaelena I really like what you did with your first plan!

It's really good, I might even be able to do a little tweaking and get everything I wanted!

PS. What software do you use to design your plans with?

• marthaelena
    4 years ago

To design I use my head :)

To sketch, most of the times I do it freehand, and then I use, AutoCAD, Sketchup, or Revit. For this sketch I used AutoCAD and the Snipping Tool to create the jpeg. In my other pc I have Photoshop which I prefer for the conversion.

• ladygibbs
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Okay here is "Big Bedroom" plan again.

And here is a modified version of Martha's plan. Which I am calling "Long Bathroom."

Really all I did was add a bump out into the bedroom for my shelving, and instead of a wall by the toilet I did a cabinet for some storage. I really like it! And actually if I am measuring correctly this plan gives MORE rod length than the other plan. (This amount of closet space is more than enough for me. I have 48" right now.)

Other pros to this plan is that I don't need to cut into the existing bedroom, and the bathroom gets an abundance of light. (Frosted windows or shutters are a must on the south side)

I ONLY have three questions about this plan.

#1 Is getting around the bed going to be too tight? The built-ins are going to be added at a later date, so we could live in it a while before deciding if we can spare the room.

#2 Is the bump out in the bedroom funky? If so, I could extend the entire bathroom wall. I would just loose the 8" in the closet.

#3 The entire house has centered symmetrical windows in every room. Are the windows being off center and not symmetrical going to look horrible on the exterior, or am I over thinking this?

You guys have been so awesome! Thank you for taking the time to work on this, and being patient with me.

• cpartist
    4 years ago

If you switch your bed to the window wall you'll have more than enough room. If you don't want windows above your bed, then do them on either side of the bed.

• marthaelena
    4 years ago

Lady,

Do you like that the first thing you see is the toilet? I do not. Lets just say that it is one of my pet peeves. I want to see first vanities or a nice whirlpool, then everything else - just personal preference.
    About the bathroom being long I agree and that's why I divided it.

• keywest230
    4 years ago

@ladygibbs: It sounds like you want it all, but... everything in life is a trade-off!

I believe that a luxurious bathroom is your #1 requirement, with a huge tub and shower, and maximizing the western views from the tub and bedroom. I've given you that, and I've added a water closet for the toilet!

To do that, I had to make the clothes closet narrower than what is typically recommended. And I used a lot of 30" pocket doors (again, narrower than recommended). The bedroom is on the narrow side too, but I feel its length makes up for it.

You indicated that you don't need a huge closet. While the closet I've given you is tight, there is still almost 10' of wall-space for hanging clothes, and there is a window for natural light, and there is plenty of room in the bedroom for dressers. My thinking is that you can use part of the closet for linen storage. Personally, I like how I've given you access to the clothes closet from both the bedroom and the bathroom.

I gave you two south facing windows for natural light. I know you want privacy from the street on that side, so I would use light-emitting shades to give you both natural light and privacy. I can't imagine not wanting those windows there. And I like the line-of-sight to each of those south-facing windows as you enter the closet and bathroom from the bedroom.

Final note: if my dimensions are off by even six inches, then that changes everything! The closet may no longer work and/or you'd have to compromise on the shower and vanity sizes to make this plan work. The one dimension shows 18' 6" from the existing house, but that includes the thickness of the existing house wall (6"). From your drawing in the original post, it looks like you're going a full 18' beyond that existing wall.

Here you go:

P.S. If your budget (and any other considerations) allowed you to come an extra foot off the existing house, the doors could increase from 30" to 32" and your aisles would all be much better. If you can't increase that dimension, I would recommend decreasing the shower and vanity size from 6' to 5' so that I could do the same thing: increase doors and aisles. But again, everything in life is a trade-off.

• lakeviewgirl
    4 years ago

I like the latest version of "long bathroom" plan. here are couple of minor suggestions / changes.

- move the toilet. this way, you see the vanity when door is open, and the cabinet will block the view of toilet as well. with this design the window above toilet is not needed since there are two big windows above the tub.

- just moved the wall to the entry of the bedroom, I think it give a bit more cohesive look and feel.

- two windows on both sides of the bed, that way you have more flexibility on the kind of headboard you want.

• cpartist
    4 years ago

You are overthinking it and making it more complicated and less desirable than what Martha gave you.

You don't need to move the toilet. All you need to do is flip the door so it opens towards the vanities. Plus it works better than the way you have it.

I also think you should keep the "bump" at the entrance to the bedroom where it was so that you're not losing space within your bedroom. It creates a small alcove like opening. Yes it looks odd in 2D but in reality it is better than how you straightened out the door opening to the bedroom. Plus it keeps the hallway in a straight run.

Yes I agree about the windows. I would do two windows on each side. I didn't put it in because my computer right now is acting strange.

Here's with the bathroom door flipped. I would probably move the door up towards the bed a bit so that when the person on the right side of the bed needs to use the bathroom, they can walk in a straigtht line instead of having to skirt around the dresser.

• ladygibbs
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Keywest I actually designed that same plan in the past. But I was worried about how tight it was getting to the toilet.

Cpartist so you think flipping the door is a good idea? I thought in the past you or someone said that it's horrible to have to walk around the door to get to the toilet? But perhaps there is enough asile way to work. I agree with you to move the door up a bit and I like the alcove into the hallway for the door.

Do you think it would be better to move the toilet next to the shower rather than the tub like lakeviewgirl suggested? I'm not sure what the difference would be as far as functionality.

• cpartist
    4 years ago

I thought in the past you or someone said that it's horrible to have to walk around the door to get to the toilet?

I do think it's "horrible" when there isn't enough space to move around because the bathroom is too narrow. Yours is wide enough to not be a problem with this version.

Do you think it would be better to move the toilet next to the shower rather than the tub like lakeviewgirl suggested? I'm not sure what the difference would be as far as functionality.

If it were me, I'd keep it just the way Martha designed it. I would do at least a knee wall on the side where the toilet is. Actually since I'm adverse to cleaning glass, I'd probably just put a full wall on that side of the shower and just have a single glass door, but that's me. LOL.

No difference in functionality. However, if I'm relaxing in the tub, I don't want to look over the side and see the toilet. I like how that side of the room is more spa like with the tub and the vanities and the large window. When you open the door, you open the door and see the two vanities, the tub and the light from the window. Think how beautiful it can be.

The shower and toilet then become the more "functional" end of the room.

ladygibbs thanked cpartist
  • cpartist
    4 years ago

Ok got my program working again. Here are my suggestions.

Moved the bathroom door up.

Added double windows on either side of the bed.

Added a wall to the shower on the toilet side.

One other suggestion would be to build in some storage under the staircase. Bookshelves maybe?

• ladygibbs
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Spot on! Thank you so much.

Martha great design. I'll talk it over with my husband and do a little more figuring but I think this is what we are going to go with.