SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chaparral_gw

Master suite design advice please-layout and laundry

chaparral
12 years ago

Hi-- hoping for some advice re our master suite design in southern California. This is a second floor addition over our kids' bedrooms. We are soon to be empty nesters. We are adding solar PV, rain capture, and are going to try grey water irrigation from the master bath to some front yard landscape.

During this remodel we have moved the main laundry to our garage which is at street level. So-- street level garage and laundry, then up a level to the main house, then up to the master suite. We are on a hillside. Upside--able to expand kitchen size in keeping with rest of house. Downside--it will be a schlep to our bedroom. We only need to do our laundry once or twice a week, so in the design phase we didn't think this would be a big deal. Keep us in shape I guess. ;)

Exterior is framed, and we are about to (next week!) put in the interior walls upstairs in our master suite. Our original plan (from an interior designer who consulted with us and our architect) was to enter through the dressing area. To the left the closet would be 7' high partition, so that from the bedroom you would see the ceiling continue on over in the dressing area; for light and spaciousness.

Today our contractor suggested a plan B, where we would enter straight to the bedroom, and then could continue on to a deck with mountain views. Our architect is on board with either plan.

Now we're thinking about putting in a stacking (or combo wash/dry) unit upstairs as well, in part so we could use the grey water but also for convenience and resale down the line (10 years?).

What I don't like about putting the laundry in is cost, depth required of the rest of the closets to make it line up, and hence lack of space in the dressing area. Plus it just adds more machinery to what will be a nice space that we could see using not only for dressing but exercising and/or meditation.

We have specific decisions to make--

1) put in a laundry upstairs now or keep the space for closets?

2) if we put laundry in, open up to the dressing room or bathroom?

3) enter into bedroom or dressing room?

Thoughts / comments appreciated.

Thanks!

Here are plans A and B:

Comments (24)

• chisue
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Not sure why an empty-nester would add another story to a house, but...you've already started!

I prefer the entry via the bedroom and guess any buyer would too. Neutral on W/D up there. I'd also prefer not to walk *around* the bed. (Yes, yes, I see the balcony and view...all the same, the walk-about would irk me.)

• pooks1976
    12 years ago

I'm neutral on the laundry, but I would definitely prefer to enter through the bedroom. Why would you want to enter a big spacious, bright bedroom from the dressing area? You want to open a door and see the money view, not see the nice room after going through a closet.

I wouldn't mind walking around the bed, but that is just me.

• Related Discussions

Help with Master suite & guest bathroom layout

Q

Comments (3)
    IMO, the master bathroom is too small. 30" for a toilet (the minimum allowed) and 30" a vanity is tight even for a guest bath. Your closet is huge proportionally. I would take at least 2 feet from the closet to add to the toilet and vanity space (48" vanity and a 36" space for the toilet) because I would much rather be cramped in a closet than feel cramped in the bathroom. You could also take a few inches from the shower. 5' 34" showers are very common and plenty of room if you are not a large person.
    ...See More

Help with Master suite & guest bathroom layout

Q

Comments (6)
    I like the larger bathroom, but I think the doors conflict and it is nice to have them open into the closet. I'd do a good pocket door into the bathroom to avoid more conflict although it could open against the wall next to the sink. You do loose more closet storage, but corners aren't all that valuable in a closet. You could fit a lot of clothes in there by double hanging rods. That would save some money over the Pax system. Plus your closet now seems more separate from the bathroom by extending the wall. Here is another idea for the main bath. My daughter has stacked washer and dryer and is short, but uses the arrangement well. You have plenty of room in front of the W/D to get clothes in and out. The toilet is off to the side. The vanity could be 72 inches with 2 sinks. The bonus is the door would open up against the tub and the room would feel more open. The laundry would be easily accessible without the bathroom door being in the way. Folding laundry in the laundry room is overrated. I had a nice space for folding laundry in our 1 st house with a window to look out. I usually took the laundry to the TV area and sat down on the floor to fold.
    ...See More

feedback on master suite layout please

Q

Comments (51)
    How much time do you really plan on spending retiring to your bedroom sitting area? I ask because that sitting area seems more to be an aspirational lifestyle area vs something that will truly get used / is worthy of that much dedicated space. Agree ... I would only want a "sitting area" in my master bedroom if I lived in an extended family situation, which would make a "get away" nice. I was just saying to DH last night that it would be nice to have a sitting room that is not within the bedroom, but around a corner, or behind a wall, so that one of us could read it watch TV (with earphones) when sleep eludes him or her. IF I were to have a sitting area in the bedroom, yes, I'd rather it be set apart from the bedroom somewhat. Visual and acoustical privacy.
    ...See More

Advice on Master Suite Layout

Q

Comments (2)
    All of the plans are different- not even the same shape - so it doesn’t seem like you are almost there. Don’t rush it. I like the plan with the bonus room the best (I assume you have several kids to fill all of the bedrooms?). Try getting your two bathrooms by switching the closet and bathroom.
    ...See More
  • chaparral
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the comments-- I think I prefer bedroom entry as well.

I think we're going to put in rough plumbing for a compact (24" wide, 28" deep including vent for dryer) stacking washer/dryer but use the space now for storage. At least if we're here 10 years from now and are tired of going down 2 floors to do the laundry we won't have to rip up ceilings etc. to do the plumbing. And this plan won't require us to do a ridiculously deep closet.

FWIW, reasons for adding on at this stage--more room for entertaining, having out-of-town guests stay over, gain a 2 car garage (rather than attached 1 car up a steep driveway), bigger kitchen, gaining roof space for solar... we'll be here a while. Love the town and looked around for 3 years couldn't find anything. We've been in design / planning for about 3 years--yes there's no turning back now! We've never had a real dining room (more like dining nook between kitchen and family room) and now we'll have a big combo living / dining area big enough to put on small house concerts. ;)

• chaparral
    Original Author
    12 years ago

One could position the headboard of the bed against 2 of the other walls. All the windows are in now but no interior walls so we can mock it up this weekend and have a walk-through. Good to consider these options before laying out the lighting.

• juliekcmo
    12 years ago

As someone who moved laundry from basement to second floor addition off the master bedroom, let me say that it is really convenient to have the laundry by your closet and bathroom. We look at it as an added age-in-place strategy as well. You don't have the fall risk of carrying things up and down 2 flights of stairs. So as long as your can get yourself upstairs, you can remain in the home. (and we are only in our 40s)

I do recommend having a decent bathroom exhaust fan in the laundry area to keep the bedroom from smelling like the laundry room, and to exhaust the heat. Not clear if you plan to build the w/d into a closed cabinet. If you would have a way to "close off" the closet/laundry space in the closet and put the fan in the closet ceiling, that would be preferred. I do think that any enclosure of a particular size might be required by codes to have clearances and to be ventilated.

If you can do a conventionally vented dryer instead of a condensing dryer you will also want to get any vent in place while you are under construction.

Not sure if yours will be gas or electric. Ours is gas dryer (we were running gas line to adjacent wall for fireplace). So our dryer is conventional and vented. But at the time of construction we did add the circuitry to switch to an electric dryer in the future if that would be something we would want to do.

• chaparral
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks-- since it's 2nd floor in sunny southern cal, we are thinking of putting a whole house fan up there. So if we do the laundry then we could pull in fresh air pretty quickly. Hadn't thought of putting it above the laundry closet, but that's a very good idea. We're somewhat constrained with venting (pending final solar panel layout from solar city).

I think we'll go ahead and put rough-in for the plumbing and venting, and an electric circuit. This way in the meantime we could use the circuit for something else.

We'll probably go with the bedroom entry to give us 16' of closet space-- about 2.5 of which would be reserved for a future laundry.

We're in our 40's as well... barely. ;)

• lalithar
    12 years ago

I would vote for the entry from bedroom and the stacked laundry facing the bathroom. That would be really convenient especially if you plan for a couple of laundry baskets close by to sort whites, delicates etc. If I were a prospective buyer, I would note that as a plus. I also think there is potential for more optimization in your closet. You will want to make sure that dampness and the noise from the bathroom does not enter the closet and the bedroom

• Caddidaddy55
    12 years ago

I also vote for entry thru the beadroom. A second floor laundry would not be my choice especially if you have front loaders, they can be reallly noisy especially in the spin cycle. Ours are on the first floor on concrete, so no problem. We too are empty nesters, as we don't live in our bedroom we are in the lower level most of the time, so just carrying the laundry up and down once a week is no big deal. If you are really set on second floor laundry make sure you put a catch pan under the washer, and a set of supply faucets that will shut automaticly in the event of a hose break.

• chisue
    12 years ago

Is a laundry chute or dumb waiter an option?

You *could* position the bed towards the center of the room, possibly with a half-wall at the head to provide a sense of security -- and to hold sconces. I'd make anything like that long enough for a king bed + end tables or shelving. When you have a dressing room/closet, there's usually not much other than the bed in a MBR.

• chaparral
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Unfortunately a laundry chute / dumb waiter won't fit.

From a practical point of view the only real reason to have the entry through the closet is that our guests could use that bathroom without going through our bedroom. But we have 2 other bathrooms on the first floor so this isn't really a compelling reason.

Our architect suggested building the wall out to be a bit thicker at the head of the bed so that we could use a sliding door and still have electric-- then we would make a niche in the build-out for a shelf / lighting at the head of the bed.

FWIW even with the entry into the bedroom a king size bed will fit and allow for about 10" on each side for a small end table.

Good point about the racket from front load washer / dryers on a 2nd floor. One of the reasons we've moved our 1st floor laundry to 0th floor garage is to get the noise away from living areas.

Leaning towards doing the minimal rough-in plumbing and electric now, and moving this towards the bottom of the length of closets, so that we can optimize the closet space towards the entry with a built-in organizer.

• chaparral
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We decided that direct entry into the bedroom made the most sense, and because the headboard / wall behind the bed is about 6', the entry door their needs to be a swinging door. This has been framed in.

We've also decided not to put a laundry up there. The reason we moved the laundry in the first place was to get the noise of it away from the living areas.

Now I'm thinking about having the best of both worlds (I think) and putting in a second door, possibly as a pocket door, directly into the area with our closet storage. Idea is that this storage will be finished out nicely, rather than a walk-in closet. More of a dressing room.

If we do this, we will be able to come straight upstairs to the bedroom and balcony, or bypass the bedroom and go through dressing room and into bathroom. This would be helpful if we go to bed or get up at different times, which we do at least a couple times / week. So a lot of flexibility with traffic flow.

Downside -- we lose about 3' of closet space, and it may look odd to have 2 doors at the top of a landing.

Thoughts?

• chisue
    12 years ago

I don't like this idea. It would look odd, and anyone in bed would hear the pocket door open and close.

How about accessing the dressing area and bath along the interior stairwall instead of along the exterior wall (top of plan).

I can see that you have room for a king bed (or two!). I thought that IF you created a walk-through BEHIND the headboard, you'd want a 'security wall' for the headboard; that should be long enough to accomodate a king + side tables. I was trying to save walking AROUND the bed.

• mellyc123
    12 years ago

For resale, laundry in the garage would be an issue and the more kids I had the bigger the issue would be. Walking around the bed or thru a dressing room to get to the bath would not be a deal breaker, I would not like it and would rather change the layout of the bath so you could have a door on bedroom entry side also.

• chaparral
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the comments.

We would like to keep the bed oriented the way it is so that when we are in bed we can see out the porch to the foothills. Any other orientation in the room just doesn't make it for one reason or another. I tried pushing the bed to the left (towards the porch (3') so we could walk behind it, but that didn't work so well.

We are pretty set in terms of shower stall area and toilet. However we could re-arrange things a bit like below.

If we did this we would build a niche into the headboard so an end table wouldn't be necessary.

This maximizes the closet / dressing room storage area as well.

Hmm...

• chaparral
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just met with contractor and plumber. Plumber had the best idea I think so far, which was to move the bed to the bottom wall. There would be room for a queen size bed and 24" nightstands on either side, or king with slightly narrower stands.

The views are actually 100% better as well. So from a functionality point of view, this would work way better, and you wouldn't need to walk around the bed from the entry to get to the dressing / bath area.

Plus as of now there needs to be an AC duct that would preclude having a second entry as I suggested earlier.

I'll try to post some actual photos of the room with windows to show what I mean.

We could even fit a couch opposite the bed now, or a couple chirs with a small table.

• chisue
    12 years ago

Ah, MUCH better 'walk about'. Will you *sit* on that balcony, or could it be less deep, giving the headboard wall more length?

• chaparral
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, yes, we'll sit on the porch (and it is built) ;)

One thing I've learned from this exercise is to consider various options for the bed positioning before specifying lighting locations to the electrician ;)

From an "interior design" point of view the previous bed locationcould look really nice (despite hiking around it), so we should have some lights on a separate dimmer for that area. We could put a small desk / writing table there, or a dresser, as well.

I was up until 2 a.m. this morning working on a couple other options that I'll post in a bit.

• chaparral
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The time has come when we REALLY need to make up our mind. Plumber is going to get to the master bath in a couple of days. Electrician wants to know where to put lights.

Here are 4 layouts we are considering. Each layout shows 2 bed positions. We think Position 1 provides for the best interior decorating options and looks best in the room (opposite the sliding glass doors), and Position 2 provides for better views and generally better traffic flow, especially in Plan A.

Note: The ceiling is slightly vaulted (1/12 slope) with peak in dressing room.

Plan A: what is currently framed.

POSITIVES: it's currently framed, you enter right into the bedroom, and the dressing room area is nice and symmetric, a nice room into itself. The door is clearly visible.

NEGATIVES: upon entering the bedroom, with bed in Position 2, you are right at the head of the bed. With bed in Position 1, you have to walk around it to go to the dressing / bath area.

It may be a positive or negative (depending on how you look at it) that you enter the bathroom and can go straight into the toilet, though there is a door there.

On the other hand, upon entering the bathroom, when you turn to the right, you'll see a very cool angular freestanding tub (LACAVA) which will look better from a few feet away at the top of the bathroom.

Plan B: entering the bedroom up just a bit from what we currently have framed.

POSITIVES: upon entering upstairs, you could easily go to the bedroom or bathroom. I kind of like entering the master bath in this position, straight to sink and no way will toilet be in view. We could even consider removing the door to the toilet. I also like this entry better in terms of stepping in and not entering right at the head of the bed in Position 2. Could put low linen closet opposite toilet entry.

NEGATIVES: there is a door to the suite that can be closed off to make the whole suite private, but you can't see the door from either bed position. Dressing area closets aren't quite balanced, though this could be OK. Per earlier comment, when you walk into the bathroom and turn to the right the tub will be RIGHT there. We could of course use this Plan B but keep our existing bathroom entry. (this became Plan D)

Plan C: straight shot up to the top and then take a left to the bedroom.

POSITIVES: Maximizes headboard width for the bed in Position 1. Best layout for someone with a king size bed (which is not us). Clean traffic flow. Upon entering bedroom, bed in position 2 is right in view. Preferred bathroom entry

NEGATIVES: no structure to hold up the 6' high headboard wall, so an "L" is added which could hold light switches but is not optimal aesthetically. Could either put a post there or give up the short wall idea and go straight to the ceiling.

Plan D: Like Plan B, but with bathroom entry and closets adjusted to be like A.

POSITIVES: It's already framed. Best view of bathroom when you walk in because tub and shower will be at some distance. Room will feel bigger I think than in B. Closets are more symmetric than B.

NEGATIVES: Same ones as B. Can't see door from bed.

Comments anyone? Is anything jumping out to anyone that I'm missing?

Thanks in advance!!!!

• chisue
    12 years ago

I'm back to your (almost) original plan, voting for "A" with the 'walk around' bed.

You might get more ideas if you posted this on the "Building a House" forum. We are a bunch of nit-pickers over there! lol Seriously, there are some wonderful people willing -- and ABLE -- to help.

• chaparral
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, I might try posting there.

As of the moment, we're thinking the same thing; plan A. We met with the electrician and discussed putting a pair of recessed lights over each of the 2 bed locations. From a room composition point of view, we like having the bed in position 1, but from a "flow" point of view position 2.

"C''s appeal was that it provides more obvious opportunities for a small desk location (laptop table really) but plan A allows for that at either end of the dressing area.

• chisue
    12 years ago

I hate the recessed lights over our bed. We never use them; they are too high to cast light for reading. In fact, the only ceiling fixture in the MBR that gets any use is the fan. It also has a light that I use when cleaning the room. If you don't want table lamps beside the bed, consider wall sconces. Do you have security lighting? Want a switch beside your bed?

I deeply regret being talked into cans all over our house. Only the hallway cans have been useful. You mentioned a vaulted ceiling -- you might consider 'washing' that from the low side with concealed lighting.

• chaparral
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Our architect suggested lights built into a niche into the headboard, and an interior designer friend who helped a bit suggested pendant lights over the head of the bed. Those are both good ideas, more practical than ceiling cans, but pretty much define the bed location, and I like the idea of having a more flexible room layout than one fixed to a particular bed locations. I'll have to think more about sconces... hmm...

• bsspewer
    12 years ago

STOP overthinking! My advice, go for plan A with the bed at position 2. Trying to create a zig zag path through your closet will prove to be a bad idea the first time you have to rush to the bathroom. Not to mention the low appeal it will have to potential buyers. I for one don't want to trip over clothes or stored items when headed toward the bathroom.

• chaparral
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We are framed in, plan A. Regarding lighting, we decided to just use cans for general overhead area light (6 in room) and then will light above bed from wall sconces.