SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cbmullen

Complying With National Plumbing Code

cbmullen
7 years ago

I'm going to replace the old copper tubing going to my water heater. I live in a township that must comply with county plumbing codes. The county I live in follows the National Plumbing code with no additions or variations to the code. I have two questions. Number one, does anyone know whether or not Sharkbite connectors comply with the National Plumbing Code and/or whether they are allowed? I've used Sharkbite connectors before and I've never had one leak or fail. I've already soldered copper tubing to the two dielectric unions that will attach to the inlet and outlet water connections on the existing water heater but I haven't installed them yet. I've never had a problem with leaks from any copper tubing I've soldered but I want to use Sharkbite fittings elsewhere for ease of disassembly if necessary. I may or may not use the soldered dielectric unions. I've done a lot of research for this project and I've read many horror stories concerning the dielectric unions leaking or failing after a few months. I may just go with using copper/brass connections threaded directly to the inlet and outlet nipples, either copper/brass that I will solder to the copper tubing or the 3/4 brass female ends of Sharkbite braided steel flexible connectors, which leads to my second question. Does anyone know whether or not these Sharkbite 3/4 and 1/2 connectors comply with the National Plumbing Code? I assume that they do as they are always displayed next to water heaters in the stores. I've learned that some jurisdictions don't allow flexible connectors unless they offer "full flow". I believe that these Sharkbite flexible connectors do allow full flow but I'm not certain.

I will replace my 45 year old Rheem 40 gallon water heater with a Rheem Performance Platinum 50 gallon Short 12 Year 40,000 BTU ENERGY STAR Natural Gas Water Heater Model # 204321571 sometime next year. I will be replacing the magnesium anode rod in the new Rheem water heater with an aluminum/zinc anode rod before installing it as I have very bad well water. I don't expect to get 45 years out of the new Rheem water heater. I do not need to pull a permit and have an inspection when I replace the copper water lines. However, I will have to pull a permit and be subject to an inspection for the installation of the new water heater next year. I don't want to fail a water heater installation inspection because of non-allowable connections to the water heater itself. I could probably install the new water heater without pulling the permit and get away with it because I had a new furnace and AC unit installed two years ago and there would be no need to replace anything else in the basement in the next twenty or thirty years that would require a permit and an inspection but I'm not going to go there. Codes are in place for safety reasons and I will not attempt to bypass or subvert them. Besides, the permit is only $30.00 and I'm allowed to pull the permit and install the water heater myself since I'm the homeowner.

Thank you in advance for your time and any assistance provided.

Comments (3)