SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
reneec83

Need help on what to plant in front of my long ranch house

reneec83
7 years ago

My house is a ranch and it's long, so it's hard to capture the whole house in one shot, so I took a few pictures to try and piece it together. I want to replace the front walk, and open it up more so that it is actually more visible from the driveway and road, as you can see it's blocked by lots of boxwood that line the whole length of the walk plus a golden mop false cypress, so advice in that area is needed. Then the bed there by the front door is a mess, currently there are some azaleas in front of the big picture window and I'm not sure if I should leave those or move some of those small boxwood there, but then what to do with the azelas. The rest of the bed has orange daylilies and a couple barberry under the other window, which I don't really care for and their placement is odd too. There is also another type of azalea near those that is slim and taller than the others, I have one like it in my backyard too, don't know what to do with it. I thought maybe of moving the larger boxwood in front of that window?? But I don't want a bed of just boxwood, although I do like that they stay green all year, but I would want more color going on in the bed for the Spring and Summer, so I'm not sure what to plant. This area is sunny, but no direct afternoon sun. Moving to the right of the front door there is a lilac bush that is obviously way to large for the space, and a weigela bush in front of it, so we will be moving those elsewhere. That area in front of that window is also on a small slope, so I'm stumped on how to treat it once I move those two bushes. I was thinking of putting some endless summer hydrangea there that I got on clearance, but was wondering if I should put some evergreen of some sort and the hydrangea in front of those so that it looks nicer in the winter. This area is dappled with shade because of the large tree. As you keep moving to the right the house steps back a few feet, in the large empty space there I was thinking of planting a pee gee hydrangea and adding some more hostas, but I'm unsure of how to treat that corner where the house steps back. Should I make this bed larger by coming out forward more? This area is light sun to dappled shade. I have two other plants that I got on clearance that I'd like to consider a spot for if possible, otherwise I'll use them elsewhere, a Sweetspire that gets apprx 4 x4 and a Crepe Myrtle that gets apprx 3 x 3. Rough measurements for everything: Area with small window at front walk is 13ft 10in wide and 11 1/2 ft deep, house steps back 4 ft and that area to the front door is about 16 ft wide, with the center portion of the window being 8 ft wide and the bed is about 10 1/2 ft deep there. The part of the house to the right of the front door to where the house step back again is 16 ft wide and the bed starts at 10 1/2 ft deep and narrows to 5 ft deep. Then the house steps back 11 ft and that area is 14 1/2 ft wide, with the bed varying from 15 ft deep to 7 ft deep at the very end. I'm in Western PA zone 6. Thank you for any suggestions. Also I do plan on limbing up that giant Dawn Redwood tree.

Comments (12)