SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ericazzz

Using wall cabinets as base cabinets under an island?

ericazzz
7 years ago

We are finishing our basement and planning a very small bar/kitchen. There are two walls -- one is a 55" nook and that will have a bar sink and under the counter fridge, open shelving above. Next to the nook there is this 82" wall where I want to put some storage and barstools. This is more for kids having a snack BTW not adults drinking alcohol, it's OK that they're facing the wall. Anyway, I met with a helpful designer at Home Depot who suggested using 30" tall, 36" wide, 12" deep wall cabinets, centered, raised about 10" off the ground. So basically using wall cabinets as base cabinets (but a floating base). Then putting a countertop bar height (42") of around 72" wide by 24" deep on top. This would allow storage and also overhang. But how would these floating wall cabinets support the countertop? I'm planning on quartz. Will my contractor need to create a wooden box to go underneath the cabinets so they can help in supporting the quartz? I assume there must be some kind of bracket that can be used in addition but not sure that alone can do it. Do you think this will work? I know I can get a less deep base cabinet if I go custom but I am thinking of using the simple unfinished wood cabinets from Home Depot and they don't come in a lot of sizes, so the only base cabinets they have are 24" deep. Trying to save money bc it's just a basement (and to splurge on the hardware and backsplash I want ha ha). So do you think this could work? Hope this makes sense. Thanks.

Comments (9)