SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gth842s

Why are Meyers so fickle?

7 years ago

Hello All,

I decided to pull the trigger on exchanging my sickly Meyer at the nursery a couple of weeks ago. I'm fortunate to have an amazing nursery that will refund or exchange any purchase up to a year later, and, I decided to start fresh after battling my Meyer for over a year. I brought home a small Meyer covered in flower buds that looked to be a week or two from opening up and put it next to my lime tree on my top floor landing.

The plant is getting the brightest sun I can provide, augmented by a floor lamp shining a grow-lamp directly onto it from about 12" above. Temperatures range from about 55F to 70F from night to day. It has dropped half of its blooms before they opened and one leaf. No sign of nutrient deficiency whatsoever. I haven't re-potted it yet, but it's not likely the media in this case because the plant was thriving at the nursery and came in a bark-based mix anyway, and I've been extremely careful not to over-water (every 10-14 days).

My question is this: why are Meyers such pains in the ___? The lime right next to it is fine, even setting fruit. I can either wait the Meyer out and see if it stabilizes or I can move it to a spot with slightly less light but consistent temperatures at about 67-70F. Which would you do and why?

Thanks! On the bright side, my Rangpur and Yuzu look like they're going to give me 4-5 nice looking fruit each in about a month or two and the Rangpur is blooming and setting new fruit already.

Comments (10)