SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3r3o3b

trick or treating

rob333 (zone 7b)
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago
It has begun! Imported kids walk up to me and stare. What are you supposed to say? Um, trick or treat or die! I want chewing gum! (I don't have gum) Kylo Ren just came by and air choked my son. It doesn't sound cute, but it was. How's it going for you?

Comments (48)

• sheilajoyce_gw
    7 years ago

Still sunny here. We will be lucky to have 10 kids. We used to get two hundred in the 1980s. I remember having to send DH out for more candy when I had already bought and given out sacks of it already.

• User
    7 years ago

About 2 dozen so far. I wish they'd just all come at once so we can sit down, but it's still fun. Good costumes.

2 kids up the street hit us up twice and thanked us zero times.

Little sh8ts.

• Related Discussions

LC Trick or Treat (not)

Q

Comments (7)
    Hello! I have a orchid but i dont know the name. I think that would be the same. What do you think?
    ...See More

Trick-or-treat

Q

Comments (11)
    Thank Judo. I am honored. Although I do not grow SUPER hots but I have been using Capsaicin in my daily diet for decades. But I suffice to lower dosage. Right now my limit is Habaneros. In fact I have planted habs many times in the past. Another Hot one: Pequin. Next year I will grow Thai, Korean, Habanero, Manzano, pequin, serrano ..... Thanks for offering seeds. I am all set. ........................................................... DID YOU KNOW THAT: Contrary to common perception,chili peppers may prevent stomach ulcer?
    ...See More

How old is too old to trick or treat?

Q

Comments (37)
    When I walked my kids around, I would put out a bowl and a cute little sign saying to take 1 or 2, or whatever. They did! Except one year, we were on our way out when I heard some boys take the whole bowl. I flew out the door, they stopped short of the end of the walkway and sheepishly put it back. I was especially surprised because we KNOW them! My sons quit going out after 8th grade, but this year DS wanted to dress up as a ghoul and have a "haunted porch", I think he missed the TorT! Sadly, it was not only cold and windy, but there was a young-kids party nearby and he looked too scary, so I had him hold off till the older kids came 'round. But by then it was misty, too, so the goblins stayed in. I I don't mind the older kids, as long as they dress up with at least a bit of effort or creativity and SAY Trick or Treat! We had two dancers about 14yrs, very sparkly. When I admired them, they said they had a dance too. It was cute, definitely earned them extra treats!
    ...See More

Trick Or Treat Progress Report

Q

Comments (60)
    We live on a long, dark dirt road and have never really had trick or treaters except the neighbors' kids. I was home alone last night and super nostalgic for the days we used to take our kids out. My mom would have a small party and we'd take the kids around her neighborhood where we know a lot of the people from my sister's restaurant. Our kids aren't big candy eaters, but we always had fun with everyone dressing up. (and maybe a red cup). I resorted to stalking facebook and texting my friends for photos of their kids and grands. I just found out the Health Center I work at sponsors a table at a Trunk or Treat event. I will be volunteering next year for sure. It's a great option here where neighborhoods are far apart and many homes are seasonal.
    ...See More
  • pudgeder
    7 years ago

They'll be starting any minute here. Don't expect a whole bunch.

• maire_cate
    7 years ago

Trick or Treat is one tradition that I won't miss. We only get 20 kids and most of them are not even our neighbors.

• Suzieque
    7 years ago

I love it. Far be it from me to deny the kids some good fun and memories. I've only had about 20 so far but they have been delightful, respectful, and have said thank you 100% of the time. I simply don't understand the curmudgeons who turn out their lights. Wouldn't you rather be known as a fun person in the area than a cranky old man/woman? But to each their own.

• caseynfld
    7 years ago

We had about 58....lots of cute costumes and super polite kids - everyone said thank you and many squealed over their "treat". I give out cans of soda pop. It's a fun night!!

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    7 years ago

Nothing here yet but its not quite 5 PM. I have candy, DH is hopeful, but I really don't expect but a handful of children in this neighborhood if like the last 3 yrs since we've moved. Add to that its raining, and a little bit windy so I didn't put my inflatable yard decorations out (to chase).

We did have the reputation as the fun people when we lived a few blocks away. Once in summer when I was doing yard work, some kids went by on the sidewalk and I heard one say, Be nice to her, that's the lady who gives the good candy on Halloween ;0)

I still have 'good candy', just very few kids to treat. I asked DH just now if he wanted to go up the hill to one of his sisters to pass out candy where there will be many, many children and he said No, that he is staying right here. He may change his mind later, he loves Halloween, or did when it was busy and fun.

• Rudebekia
    7 years ago

Although it is a family oriented area we don't get that many--a disappointment! The reason is that there is a self-designated "Halloween block" about 5 blocks away where all the neighbors get together every year to block off the street and host a big kid-and-parent party, complete with local entertainment. Bus loads of kids attend.

Anyway, it is a PERFECT Halloween evening here: cool without being too cold, foggy/misty and eerie, windy with blowing leaves, smell of wood smoke in the air. I've had about 10 kids so far.

• happy2b…gw
    7 years ago

DH and I got home a little late. We have had trick or treaters but missed the early ones. The little ones are a bit in awe but each and every one has been polite saying thank you. I think it is so cute when the kids wish me a Happy halloween. One bunch of littles came with two masked persons taller than me who opened their own candy bags. I also don't get as many as I used to. The weather is perfect.

• happy2b…gw
    7 years ago

In the latest group, one of the little girls about 4-5 years old asked me not to give her candy with coconut because her mommy does not like coconut. Oh how I remember those days of enjoying the candy as much as the kids!

• User
    7 years ago

Ah, the high school kids are arriving. One cheerleader gabbing on her phone.

Most kids and especially the parents have been very polite and appreciative - especially of our decorations and good lighting. We've had several take photos and film!

One little Princess ran from our house screaming, "Nerds!!! I got Nerds!!!"

That made my night.

• User
    7 years ago

Lots of parents dressed up, too! I love it when the parents really get into it. A neighbor has a little pit fire and booze. I didn't go tonight so I could share the candy giving with DH.

• Rudebekia
    7 years ago

I just had a group of 5 with 3 skeletons. Two of the skeletons had skeleton masks and bones markings on their suits. One had no mask and was wearing just a long black robe--he looked like a monk. I asked him what he was and he said "skeleton." I asked where the mask was and he said it was uncomfortable so he left it at home. I asked where the bones were and he looked confused. Still, he insisted along with his brothers that he was a skeleton. So cute!

• hounds_x_two
    7 years ago

I love Halloween! I have decorations in the house and on the front porch. I'm not giving out candy this year, though. My dogs don't do well with an evening of constant door-bell ringing, and I don't like to crate them when I'm home. So, I'm being a Hum-Bug, but my critters are happy.

• arcy_gw
    7 years ago

We live in a sub division where the houses are all at least two acres. When my kids were little DH walked them all around. It took all evening and I was always sad to hear the number of homes that were dark and not participating. I make sure we are always decorated and have candy at the ready. I loved when I was a kid and loved the fun my own kids had and would never think of not helping the neighbor's kids have the same opportunity. We will not get a dozen kids in more than six groups..

• chessey35
    7 years ago

We don't have any - haven't for years. We're at the end of the road on a short street with no kids. DH gets to eat the candy. LOL

• User
    7 years ago

Whoa!!!

• Cherryfizz
    7 years ago

I came in the house at 8 pm, most of the kids have already come by. I think we had 50 or so trick or treaters. The weather was perfect for all the neighbours to sit outside. Most of the kids were under 12 which is unusual and their costumes were great. Even the parents dress up and some of their costumes were so creative. Last year we had well over 100 kids and it was a miserable rainy night last year. With taking care of my sister I didn't have the chance to pick up any candy but my brother came through and brought some bags of candy over just before the kids came.

• eld6161
    7 years ago

Happy2b, I vote yours best decoration ever!

• happy2b…gw
    7 years ago

Thanks, eld. Just showed my husband. His comment- I hope you killed it.

• workoutlady
    7 years ago

Had about 80 - last year we had 30 so I cut down on my candy this year.. My 3 year old granddaughter was here and handed out candy - 2 handfuls for every kid. After about 6, I had to tell her give them 1 piece (and I gave them 2). We ran out early this year. I felt bad having to turn my lights out so early. We walked to a couple of neighbor houses and they were also running out. She got about 5 pieces of candy. If that's all she would have gotten, I'd feel bad but she got much more from all the grandparents. She thought 5 pieces was a big amount. I love when they are little like this and in awe of everything. Next year I'll get more candy again to hand out so we don't run out so early.

• socks
    7 years ago

Not a one. I'm secretly glad.

• User
    7 years ago

We probably got around 50. Gave away most of the sugary Skittles stuff and have more leftover of the delicious mini chocolates like Snickers.

That was sort of the plan ;-)

The kids definitely preferred the fruity, sugary, sour stuff.

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    7 years ago

It was perfect weather here for Halloween tonight. About 60º. We usually get about 100 but were a bit light this year. We had lots and lots of little ones, which are the most fun anyway. My friend came over and we had wine and snacks while handing out the candy. I decorate and have a rat that talks. Two little girls came up and got their candy and then the rat started talking and they squealed with delight!!! Really made my night. We, too, had parents that were dressed up too. One of the best costumes I saw was a young girl who was a duck. She made the costume herself. It was so cute!! So I have leftover candy. OK with me.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    7 years ago

The weather was perfect and we had more than 100. That was more than last year. I had bought candy, and then DH bought a lot more today. He was in charge of handing it out, and after about 70 kids he became a lot more frugal with it. We finally ran out of everything but mini tootsie roll pops, so he started handing each kid a quarter and a tootsie roll pop. By that time, we were getting the older crowd. The teenagers weren't impressed by the quarter. :)

My neighbor down the street is quite the character. He dressed up as Hannibal Lector and posted a picture of himself on FB waiting at his front door for the trick or treaters. LOL

• sjerin
    7 years ago

Sixty or seventy so far, at 7:30. Hope I don't run out.

• stacey_mb
    7 years ago

We had about 22 children this year, a little fewer than normal, probably because of our cool and rainy weather. We gave out potato chips and cheezies this year and there are enough left over for snacks!

• Fun2BHere
    7 years ago

Not one which is usual for our neighborhood. I think the kids all go to parties.

• User
    7 years ago

91 kids! The most we've had in probably 20 years. Seems a lot of younger families are moving into the area. It was really nice seeing all the little kids. This time, I noticed not a lot of teens over 13 or 14. Mostly small kids.

• wildchild2x2
    7 years ago

Judging by the almost empty candy bowl we had around 100 trick or treaters this year. DH stayed home and gave out candy. I and the other grandma started the day at DGD's preschool class party, went for ice cream after, then picked up pizza for dinner, and went out with DD and the GKs in the evening while son in law stayed home to pass out candy. Two year old DGS was so cute. He insisted on carrying one piece of candy and trading it. Then he would sort through the bowl to pick the right one for the next trade. He was so stinkin' cute people were tossing more and more candy into his and DGD's bags.

• jewels_ks
    7 years ago

I had about `15-20, but probably on 5-6 doorbell rings. I wish we had more.

• marilyn_c
    7 years ago

I hope you didn't kill the spider.

No trick or treaters since we moved here. We live on a dead end road, out in the country. No street lights and woods all around, so it is very dark. Then a long driveway back to the house and lots of dogs that will bark and raise hell if anyone strange sets foot on the property. I guess my happiest moment tonight was when two of the possums I raised and released showed up at my porch steps at the same time. I gave them some cat food. Wish I had grapes for them. Maybe tomorrow if they come back.

• lily316
    7 years ago

I also hope you didn't kill that spider.

My town's trick or treating was last Thursday. I always leave because no one wants to come in my yard. At my old house in a development ,I got 80 kids, but when we moved here, very few. One reason is there is a picket fence around the yard with signs on the gates to shut them/dogs are out. Plus we have four outside doors and they don't know where to go, so after the first year I was stuck with all that candy and that was the last time. Miss watching my grandson go out, but I think he had a Halloween party Sat. night at his college.Tonight my daughter's town had it and it was fun to walk around and watch the little ones. So creative and there is one block which is closed off and the guy puts on a spectacular show every year. This year it was The Wizard of Oz and there were four flat screen TVs showing the movie while real Dorothy and all the characters ran thru the crowd. Even the flying monkeys. He even involved neighboring houses in his wonderful plot.

• Michael
    7 years ago

Ours was 6 to 8 PM, in a young neighborhood. Final tally was 312. 92% said thanks.

We offered selective treats. Gluten Free, Nut Free, and free for all. :)

• PKponder TX Z7B
    7 years ago

We got about 50 which is pretty normal for this neighborhood. We have another area of our small town that blocks the traffic and has a big party. Everyone was polite, many thank yous and cute costumes. We kept the dogs in our bedroom and sat outside to hand out candy, avoiding the ringing doorbell. We gave away almost all of the candy and got the decorations down and in the garage next to the attic ladder. It was low 80s and clear here, unseasonably warm.

• User
    7 years ago

I'm taking down our Halloween decorations this morning ;-( We didn't really add much new, but this year, we put our hodgepodge decorations together in a way that seemed more fun and festive.

I love our little cauldron that we give candy in.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I loved reading them all! Such happiness in y'alls' voices. Thank you ALL!

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    7 years ago

We do not get trick or treaters out here. So many now go into town to the churches and places like the Elks, VFW and even the Nursing Home.

Sue

• bob_cville
    7 years ago

At the University of Virginia they hold a big trick-or-treat event on "The Lawn" in front of the Rotunda.

Students who have a dorm room right on the lawn give out candy from their room.

Other groups set up a table and give out candy

There are huge lines of kids slowly making their way to all of the dorms and tables

Others just hang out and walk around seeing others and being seen

One favorite I saw was Leia, Han, and Luke, with Chewbacca on a leash

I wore a bat costume I made for a party the previous night

and at the end I found a buddy.

• provogal
    7 years ago

We only had a handful, less than last year when it was raining. DH goes to a lot of trouble decorating so it was disappointing plus we have a ton of candy and chips left. Tonight it's off to Sauroren Park in Toronto where my daughter lives for the annual pumpkin parade. Each Nov. 1 families bring their jack o'lanterns to light and place along the paths. Some are incredibly creatively carved. Last year there were over 2,000. https://soraurenpark.wordpress.com/park-features/pumpkin-parade/

• happy2b…gw
    7 years ago

I understand why your daughter is excited for the pumpkin parade. My house is quiet this night after Halloween. I am missing those cute trick or treaters and eating the leftover candy. I need to stop.

• Adella Bedella
    7 years ago

We bought too much candy. I don't think we had as many trick or treaters this year. I made dh hide it from me today or at least most of it. I have a stash or two he doesn't know about.

• User
    7 years ago

I dress as a witch, sit under our portico and hand out full size candy bars. Due to the fact that a) last year our street was torn up but is now reopened and b) there is no parking in front of our house, I didn't know how many to expect so I got a box of 48 snickers. They started about 6:20 and I was out by 7:45 -- I will get more for next year.

Martha

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

This is the first I'm seeing the pictures. How apropos that they're on the lawn near the dorm rooms, as long as it's near Poe's!

• chisue
    7 years ago

Bob -- How lovely to see a bit of the University of Virginia. Do I remember correctly that Jefferson designed it?

• bob_cville
    7 years ago

Yes it was designed and even large financed by Mr. Jefferson (or T.J. as some here call him in mock familiarity).

Originally it consisted of the Rotunda (show below) that had classrooms and the library, the Lawn, which has 10 larger buildings called Pavilions that were housing for faculty, and several rows of smaller rooms as dorm rooms for the students.

One of the dorm rooms (as rob alludes) was Edgar Allen Poe's room when he attended the University, it is kept vacant as a historical display.

and here's a front view from a couple of years ago.

• joyfulguy
    7 years ago

I've lived on a rural road and in 11 years I don't think that I've had one such visitor.

It used to be called, "Tricks for Treats" and the little ones with bags were supposed to give a little performance in order to merit the gift. I haven't heard of such activity for many years ... I guess modern kids just feel entitled to the treat ... without any hint that it might be a two-way street.

ole joyful ... who had almost no preparation ... so there's next to no candy left

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022