SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sammers510

Advice for recused lime tree?

Sammers510
7 years ago

So I couldn't help myself at homedepot a couple nights ago when picking up a tray and some rocks to go under my Meyer. I walked into the dimly lit abandoned outdoor section looking for trays when I spotted a cluster of citrus trees, a 2 kinds of limes dwarf Bearss/Persian and Mexican/key and some Washington navel oranges. The key lime immediately caught my attention but when I checked its tag it say it grew up to 20ft tall I know that can be curbed with container planting but I was intimidated and would be more interested in a thornless key anyways. The bearss said it was a dwarf variety that stayed 6-10ft and there was even a plant that had two small limes, it was half price and I was immediately caught up in daydreams of having my own limes for cooking and drinks so on impulse I bought it. Now once in some proper lighting I saw that this lil guy was quite neglected. Very pale leaves with yellow veining and some powered white residue on most of the branches that had been pruned and on some of the leaves. I am very new to citrus so I was hoping someone may be able to identify what it is and how to treat. I just ordered some neem and HO that I plan on treating both the bearss and Meyer with over the next few weeks before transitioning in to my garage with some supplemental lighting for the winter. Should that help with this problem? I feed my Meyer FP 1-2tsp per gal every 2-4 weeks as I remember. I've slowed to closer to 3-4 with fall as I've read to cut back or withhold food for the winter but can't manage to completely stop because the leaves start to lighten and yellow when I do. I saw the yellow leaves on the lime and gave it that ratio of FP and a Foiler treatment at 1/4tsp/gal. I assumed HD had just been starving the thing. Was that a bad idea to feed with winter coming? It's also in a very heavy potting soil that I plan to change to a 5-1-1 around February (which I've read is a better time of year to repot) the soil was very wet so it may also be suffering from over watering. I plan to hold off on watering as long as I can to let the soil dry out. Here's a few pics of it, the white spots, yellow leaves and the limes. Any suggestion to get this guy healthy would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (15)