SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cavernap

Waxleaf privets getting thin

cavernap
7 years ago

Hi,

I have had a thriving hedge of waxleaf privets (Ligustrum ?) for about 11 years. This summer (about 4 months ago) I noticed some of the plants (about 6 out of 38) starting to lose their leaves. I haven't found any particular marks on the leaves (no brown spots, white spots, etc)-- they just seem to be falling off. I can't find anything unusual on the trunk. The place where the hedge is failing is in the middle--it doesn't get any more or less shade, or more or less water than the rest of the hedge which is still doing fine. About a month ago I cleared away all the dead leaves from the under the plants, and applied some 15-15-15 fertilizer. I haven't noticed any improvement, but maybe it takes a while? I was drip watering the hedge 3x a week for several hours at a time (pretty slow drip), but I cut back to once a week thinking that maybe I was overwatering. As I mentioned before, the rest of the hedge is doing fine, so I can't understand why these particular plants are unhappy. Here are some photos:

This is the area of the hedge that is getting thin.

Here is a close-up of the branches and leaves.

This is the base of the trunk.

This is what the rest of the hedge looks like that is doing okay.

Any advice?

Comments (10)