SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
savannahraedesigns

Living room help needed...again (all gray everything lol)

Ashley Palmer
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hey all. Long time no speak. Well since I added a few pieces to my decor, things have drastically changed. My previous off white rug was so bad I had to throw it out. Well it's in my garage for now. Anyways I've added a gray rug in its place. I didn't want anything too light for the space however now this is where my dilemma comes in...

my space is completely gray. I was thinking about adding silvery blue accents. Thinking maybe metallic blue sheers and pillows? Even metallic velvet curtains maybe in a frosty blue? Do you think that could work? I saw a few blue wall art pieces I liked but hesitant about pulling the trigger until I'm sure about what color scheme to explore.

We are finally changing the fan and I was thinking about a brushed chrome nickel fan?

Any advice will help.

Thanks

ps. Excuse my daughters throw blanket. She's always complaining she's cold. I plan to exchange it out for a more suitable one.

the walls are SW Mindful Gray even though they don't look like it with this horrible iPad pics.

Also we can't reconfigure the room. Thanks so much everyone.

Comments (1.3K)

• Ashley Palmer
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I have a confession: I'm not loving the living room (not so gallery wall but gallery wall technically) photo wall.

I wound up painting the wood and although I like it more, it feels a bit crowded on one hand.

It feels a bit off on one foot.

Then I kind of like it on the other foot.

And on the other hand, I feel like I'd rather the one small art by itself than three but Idk.

Secretly I kind of miss my empty walls. Lol hubs says I'm just depressed so everything is bothering me. Couldn't tell ya. :)

totally random I know but had to share. Maybe tomorrow I'll feel differently.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Are you pregnant? lol

Ashley Palmer thanked Flo Mangan
  • Related Discussions

Apartment living room help- design around grey couch

Q

Comments (12)
    Thank you so much for all these ideas. I have eclectic taste but like contemporary, midcentury modern, global, a mix of these or other styles. For the space the astro console looks super cute. Here are some random things i've been collecting in carts that I like: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N79WZFS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1 (I like rust color- don't know how to coordinate with grey etc.... but can swing to blue, red , green, darker grey, etc.) https://www.westelm.com/products/phoebe-chair-s2643/?pkey=e%7Cphoebe%2Bchair%7C3%7Cbest%7C0%7C1%7C24%7C%7C3&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH (red could be nice too-just don't know how to tie in coordinating colors in the room) This coffee table looks neat but then what kind of console to get and is white the better color to design around or is taupe, dark brown better: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QUE7NFK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_12?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1 Here it is in cement color: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NBF5JHF/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_16?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3SQ9YFE6CSCS0 I was hoping to decorate wall or nick naks with mediative/mind-body items like a painting of buddha or lotus and or horse painting. https://www.houzz.com/products/marmont-hill-fire-horse-by-irena-orlov-painting-on-wrapped-canvas-24x16-prvw-vr~84354093 https://www.icanvas.com/canvas-print/sitting-buddha-val346#1PC3-40x26 https://www.amazon.com/Sea-Charm-Peaceful-Decoration-Artwork/dp/B01MYGO95D/ref=sr_1_11?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1507078846&sr=1-11&keywords=lotus+print Thanks so much for the ideas! I attached screenshots of pics I like...
    ...See More

Should I paint the living room pale blue or leave it gray?

Q

Comments (5)
    I'd pick my art first and see what colors I bring into the decor. With other accessories such as pillows you might very well be fine keeping the wall neutral Agreeable Gray.
    ...See More

Living room grey and pink- need help with the right sofa

Q

Comments (27)
    Beverly, I like the look you created. However, I just got the wall painted. It is a high ceiling so I cannot repaint myself. It is sand color (Wise Owl by Kelly Moore). I am hoping for the grey sofa, sand walls and brown floors to be the neutral colors that will not stand out. Only the blush/pink accents to pop. I did the opposite in the other room with brown floor, grey walls and brown sofa. and teal color for pop. Will light grey sofa achieve this goal better than dark grey?
    ...See More

Everything looks gray!

Q

Comments (15)
    I will tell you what i learned during my reno.. do not try to find a color on your existing wall paint.. prime a few sections of walls white with different lighting... then put your paint colors on...i actually spent a few hundred dollars choosing the right paint and the best thing i did was prime a few sections white and hire the color designer....
    ...See More
  • Ashley Palmer
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Haha I feel like it at times but unfortunately no. We have been trying for the past 4 months or so and to no avail. I have PCOS and endometriosis so it's pretty challenging getting pregnant for us. Our daughter took forever but came at the right time. :)

• Ashley Palmer
    Original Author
    7 years ago

My daughter swears I'm pregnant because I've put on some weight and my tummy looks big but nope. Funny enough she was just saying mommy the baby is almost ready. I said no babes... mommy just has a big belly. I'm not pregnant lol. She argued I was and that she's going to pull the baby out for me to show me. I could only laugh

• User
    7 years ago

Kids have a way with words, don't they? I hope things work out for you. :)

How do you have the pictures currently arranged? Maybe tweaking the arrangement would help? What did you paint? The table? Can you share some pics?

You've picked things you love, so I bet with some small tweaks you can get back to excited about the living. Don't be discouraged - you're doing a great job making your home beautiful!

Ashley Palmer thanked User
  • N C
    7 years ago

IMO there is really nothing wrong with the room. Just need to add some color to the room, like throw pillows paintings etc. To make the room feel more cozy and warm. Good luck

Ashley Palmer thanked N C
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Sweet success comes when it is suppose to and your daughter sounds adorable!!! Nothing sweeter,...until about 13! haha!

• Ashley Palmer
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@Laura, good morning sunshine! thanks for the kind words. :) you're such a sweet heart. Random: any luck on your buffet search? I wonder if you'll find more now that the holidays are over.

I was was talking about the lighthouse pic in the living room. I painted the wood. Needs another coat but here's a pic: sorry the dining room is flooded with light right now so all you see is a blob of light in the back. Lol

heres a better pic

So so basically I was saying I don't like the pics there anymore... idk why.. love hate

• Ashley Palmer
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@NC thanks. I've added art. Not sure I'm loving it but it's there. See horrible pic as I posted to Laura if you're interested. Lol good morning by the way

• Ashley Palmer
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@flo good morning beautiful! 13? You mean 4... she's been extremely emotional too lately. Ever since her 4th birthday. I don't know what to do. Lol and she's very opinionated already. Too s,art if you ask me. But mom says I was the same way. Smarter beyond my years.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    7 years ago

I think you need to go on a pillow hunt and maybe a throw blanket. then take down the smaller too prints, maybe try them on the inside tv wall. Its ok girl we all have days and weeks where life is kinda...............WTF lol.

Ashley Palmer thanked RL Relocation LLC
  • zazfuzzroc
    7 years ago

True Downy... very true, and did I hear you say pillows? :D

Ashley Palmer thanked zazfuzzroc
  • User
    7 years ago

Hi Ashley! I think downbytheriver is right - try taking down the two smaller pictures and live with it for a bit. Pillows and a throw will make a huge difference. You can always add to the wall if you feel like it still needs something once you add in the other elements you've been thinking about.

We haven't done anything with the house in the last couple of weeks. My mom has been visiting for the holidays and all the grown ups in the house had the flu so we haven't been up for much. Hopefully I'll get back to it this week...

• Ashley Palmer
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@downbytheriver thanks love. Maybe I just need a break from thinking about it all.. :) this space is funky... it's bright but since it has west facing window., north facing front door, colors get lost in here. Aka they suck. Lol

@zaz haha you're the pillow queen :* everytime I go to pier one or home goods they've had Christmas pillows. Will try a trip soon when they start stocking some colors! Lol

@Laura maybe I'll take them down. Sigh. Idk.. a break is needed I think. But I'm so close and it's like not there yet ha. so sorry to hear they were sick. I hope they get better. Apparently a lot of people were sick over the Christmas. Excited to hear updates :)

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    7 years ago

yes PILLOWS Zazzy pants!

• Ashley Palmer
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I've been a naughty girl this morning. Good morning by the way beautiful friends.

• Mark
    7 years ago

I like that VERY much ! The other print felt like it was too low for the space. These two add height. Good job Ashley !

Ashley Palmer thanked Mark
  • Ashley Palmer
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Haha thanks Mark. I felt that way too. And the color was flat there. For now I'll live with it and see how it feels in the space. How are you doing by the way?

• Mark
    7 years ago

I'm trying my best to fight my broken heart over the loss of my sister with humour and just living life with her in my heart. It's a rough road to travel but I am strong in my faith and that is what gets me through. Thanks for asking Ashley. Very sweet of you.

• Ashley Palmer
    Original Author
    7 years ago

It's never easy Mark. People always say it gets easier but I think we just learn to accept it more. You'll always be in my prayers. Keep smiling and shining like the beautiful star you are. :)

• pat1250
    7 years ago

Ashley, I think you've nailed it! They are perfect stacked like that. And, Mark, I know what it is like to lose a sister......mine passed away just a year after both my parents. She had become our family's heart and soul. Time doesn't heal, but it allows us to accept and adjust as we need to carry on. The memories become most endearing. (sorry to intrude, just empathasizing)

Ashley Palmer thanked pat1250
  • Ashley Palmer
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks Pat! Hope you've had a wonderful holiday. :-*

• Ashley Palmer
    Original Author
    7 years ago

And sorry about your loss as well... to go through that much and you still shine so bright? You're a strong one. I admire that. And thanks for sharing your story. :)

• pat1250
    7 years ago

Thanks Ashley. You are a gem.

Ashley Palmer thanked pat1250
  • Mark
    7 years ago

Thanks Ashley and pat :) Sorry for your loss Pat. You are not intruding at all. Thank you for your kind words. We celebrate our loved ones lives and that's what keeps them alive. Yes Ashley is a gem for sure !

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    7 years ago

maybe you can put the other painting to the left of it?

also what about some floor pillows?

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    7 years ago

DONT YOU JUST LOVE THE HIPPO!

• Ashley Palmer
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@Mark, you guys are too sweet. :)

@downbytheriver hahaa I think the little one would try to ride the hippo. Bahahaha I can see her now.

I did a similar mockup last night and I was convinced to move the pics from the wall with the lighthouse. I might change that art out. I'm just "living" day by day.

I do want floor pillows and plan to get them. I just need to choose my fabric.... The reason my pillows look flat is becuase they are usually on the floor. Haha (indoor/outdoor fabric so they have lasted forever. Basically since we moved here)

hmmm did you find that image in my ideabook lol. If not you must have been stalking my Pinterest. Hehee. Just teasing.

• Ashley Palmer
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Downbytheriver, did you notice I moved the two pics from beside the lighthouse to above the console table?

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    7 years ago

i think leather would be a nice touch and hold up well.. mix with a yarn pouf?

• Ashley Palmer
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hmmm white leather... I wonder how long those last? I mean leather is wipeable...

• zazfuzzroc
    7 years ago

Depending on the leather, but I find everything leather wears well. If it's something light, that you'll be sitting on often.... just beware of dark jeans, they can stain it.

I didn't read, just popping in quickly in between running! I'm sorry if I make no sense in the conversation ... lol

Hi Ashley... Hi Downy... :D

Ashley Palmer thanked zazfuzzroc
  • Ashley Palmer
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for the input Zaz... I'm sure we won't be sitting on it and we don't wear jeans in the house much. Rare actually. We wear them to leave but inside, we like to be comfortable. And it'll serve more for a leg prop than a seat. I think we'd have tons of extra seating now with the 4 bar stools, 4 dining room chairs, the infamous red chair and the sofa. Not to mention the floor. Lol

• Ashley Palmer
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I just hate when thing was look dingy. Like I bought white sheets because everyone raved how easy it was to bleach but for the life of me they never looked the same. White enough but not bright white. Also there's the white rug debacle. It started looking gray. Lmao

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    7 years ago

Borax! for your sheets! helps brighten my whites!

• Ashley Palmer
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Maybe im doing something wrong.. how much do you put into a load? I've officially switched hubbys/guest room sheets from white to blue. The ones I use in the master bedroom for me and the little one (don't ask hahaha ) are still white just not bright bright white. I think I need a laundry tutorial even though I've been doing it since I was 8. Yikes.

• Ashley Palmer
    Original Author
    7 years ago

***The Beginning of the End***

So I've officially decided to mark this thread as closed. It's been amazing and fun decorating my home finally 5 threads and 1.5 years later. It's not done, but is a home ever really done? As you live, you build on it.

I want to personally thank all of you who's helped my create a place I'm comfortable in for now.

I've grown as a person thanks to you guys and although I love where my home is now, it's not my forever home.

I've realized that my heart really lies in one day owning a place on the water. No amount of decorating will ever be enough until I can look out my window every day at some body of water.

I am grateful that my current home is only a few miles from the beach but it's not the same as having that water view.

And had it never been for this post? For you guys? I would've never realized how important that is to me.

This is not the end. I will continue to support all of you guys and the other wonderful people here by helping decorate everyone else's homes but for now, I am happy with how it turned out.

So again, thank you.

I will be uploading pics in a few to show where it all started and where it is today thanks to you guys. We did it. We made progress. :)

Stay awesome and always keep shining!

• Ashley Palmer
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Where it began to where I am now thanks to my Houzz family!

Entry/Living Room When We Moved In:

We had no furniture apart from a TV and a cheapo stand...

this is embarrassing but we sat on floor for months!

• Ashley Palmer
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Entry/Living Room Today:

Painted walls, twice. Added a new better cheapo stand and painted it. New TV... New sofa, a new rug for the second time, a console table and added art: who wouldve thought!

I also changed out light fixture at entry and upgraded the fan... :)

Waiting for spring to add pillows...

• Ashley Palmer
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Dining Room Before:

Dining Room Today:

I dont care what anyone says, Accent walls are so not out of style ;)

• Ashley Palmer
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Breakfast Area/kitchen Before:

Kitchen During:

Although I loved the blue, it always felt dull and flat after 9am... It felt left out from the rest of the space downstairs... The rug wasnt practical and lasted only a few days before moving it to the garage where it's been.

Breakfast Area/kitchen Today:

After painting the kitchen twice...lol I am so happy with the gray. I know most wont like it better than the blue, but it works for us. It works for me... And for xmas, my little one got her matching kitchen set. :)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

So adorable!

• Ashley Palmer
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Half bath before:

... where do I start? This was the most painted room. It went from brown when we moved in, to charcoal, to purple and finally to my pick: blue.... Imagine... It was brown! Yuck...

Dark and yuck

Bathroom Today

Bright and so me!

• Ashley Palmer
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Well that's it... I also managed to paint the garage and did a bunch upstairs but for the downstairs... that's it. I really enjoyed all of you and I could never thank you guys enough.

xoxo

Ashley

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    7 years ago

Great closing chapter post! So happy you are happy Ashley! HNY, we will see you around the Houzz! XO

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Totally you and I love it! Are you a Pisces? Sure do have "water sign"! that is darling and very very nice. someday you can replace the light bar to more your style?

• Ashley Palmer
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks Downbytheriver... See you around

Flo, Im a taurus but married a pisces! :) And we do plan to change out bathroom fixture and upgrade all fixtures upstairs... :) Thanks for everything!

• User
    7 years ago

Aww. I'm sorry to see you be 'done' for now Ashley. It's been fun to watch you work on your home. I love the before and after shots. It's easy to lose sight of how much you've done when you're in the thick of it. Thanks for welcoming us into your home!

• Mark
    7 years ago

I missed all the fun :) The time I did spend with you on your house was fun and very special Ashley. I think what is most important is your attitude about what makes a house a home. You know what is right for you and your family at this time and will not make them have to walk on egg shells around things that are not practical. I hope that you enjoy your home and more importantly enjoy every second with your loved ones. I will see you around on other threads so I'm happy about that. Thanks for being so supportive to me throughout both my sisters illnesses and sadly my one sister's passing. I am very grateful and very proud to to know you. Hugs Mark

• zazfuzzroc
    7 years ago

Ashley, I only just met you, but it has been a pleasure for sure. I'm so glad you posted before/s and after/s.... great work! Very nice of you to share for those of us who haven't seen all your hard work.. I hope you wake up and feel a bit of the beach every time you come down your stairs. :)

No reason for feeling embarrassed about anything, you moved in and added as you could or wanted to... nothing wrong with that. ;) I'm glad you're happy in your home and wish you the best with one day moving into the beach home of your dreams. :) For now, please stick around... would hate to see you go... xo

Wave at the hubby and hugs to you and your tiny one... see you around the Houzz! :) It's been fun.... :)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations