SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aimeekm

X-Post Anyone here an Airbnb Host?

aimeekm
7 years ago

I have this in Home Decorating and was suggested to post over here ...

I've been considering becoming an Airbnb host. And was wondering if anyone is one, was one, or has thought about being one?

What is attractive about it to me, I travel for work over 50% of the time, add to that travel for pleasure, well my house is empty a lot. I live in a very desirable area, for tourists or just locals who may want a week at the beach. Additionally my home has it's own appeal because it is a 100 year old Craftsman, which is uncommon in this metro area outside of a few pockets, like where I live. I'm thinking potentially my empty home could generate a fair amount of income.

But, I have big concerns as well. Mostly, I've put a lot of time, money and thought into my home, and for it to be carelessly damaged would upset me. I would put a few thing away of value, mostly souvenirs from travel that are irreplaceable due to the memories vs. their cost. But I wouldn't be able to clear out my closets, or toiletries, or fridge (condiments etc., not moldering food obviously) or lock up my liquor cabinet, put away the wine rack. My home is small, and there just isn't the space to put things away from any potential guests. This would cause two problems, have people be able to go through my stuff, and not give them the space to put their stuff. It could also make people feel awkward that they are intruding, and not having a hotel like experience.

Additionally I'm set up well for having guests bring their dog with them. I have a secure yard, doggy door, etc. Also my city is known to be extremely dog friendly. So that would be an attractive feature, allowing me to charge more. But the likelihood of damage seems to increase significantly as well!

Insights, experience, advice or opinions, all welcome!

Comments (16)