SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
summerdonne

Low-e laminated glass mirrored purple tint!!??

summerdonne
7 years ago

Help! I just tried to bump an old post- but wondering if Oberson or others have thoughts on a major problem. I just spent a fortune on in-swing casement windows and French doors to match a historic house. The windows and doors appear to be coated in a mirrored, very strongly iridescent purple color. (See photo)

You don't really see it from the inside. Does this come off or do I need to have them all remade? This was never explained nor was a sample given for approval (the answer would have been no!) I cannot believe I am dealing with this - I have visited the manufacturer to confirm details of the Windows and doors and never once was a hue or tone or choice brought up by them or the salesperson. I did understand that it was important that the glass all be from the same manufacturer as glass can be different, but never knew I would be supplied anything with a color. In fact, we are already on our second set of Windows as the first manufacturer did not make them properly. Those, however did not have any sort of color tone.

Is there a way to rid/clean this off the glass or does it all need to be replaced? I have asked for the name of the glass company and type of glass but have not received the information. I was told that "standard" low- e laminated glass was used and does not have any extra tint. The salesperson now says people sometimes notice a green hue from the low- e. Any homeowners or experts out there with a similar experience and advice? We are in Southern California. Thanks very much.

Comments (28)